Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawn Tractors

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Lawn Tractors

Finely bought a house with a lg yard 1.25 acres, slight incline with fruit trees at one end and lg oaks and maples around the edge. So lawn cutting and spring fall clean up is a big deal.. So I need a lawn garden tractor! Been trying to find a good used lawn tractor or new one for that matter. Seems to be a lot of junk on Craigslist . and having done a lot of research on line and looking at the big box stores. I am stuck in review hell.. John Deere seems to have the best Rep. But good used ones are hard to find.. Sears, Troy built or Husky are others I would consider.. looking at a bagger and cart ,no snow attachments needed...
    So any input from the forum crowd is welcomed to try and move this forward...
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Re: Lawn Tractors

Subscribed. In the same boat. Just went from .25ac to 2.0ac. While my little push mower is able, I'm not willing.

0 Not allowed!
    John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

In 2010 bought my house with almost 2 acre yard, bumps, inclines, few trees. Bought a Cub Cadet from a big box store, cant even remember the model, but it was about $1800. I perform the most basic maintenance on it in between its weekly floggings and it still runs great.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I have a Craftsman I bought used. It's been ideal. I live in an area with 3 close granite quarry's so I can grow rocks like it's my business. Parts are readily available in the store or online. ( even Ace Hardware carries parts for Craftsman ) It was short money and hasn't let me down. I change the oil once a year, filters and blades and it's good. OH I put a manual fuel shut off so if the needle and seat fail (which happens with this ethanol fuel ) it doesn't flood the crankcase with gas. OH and I made sure to get one with an pressurized oil system and overhead valves.

0 Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

As far as box store (home owner) grade tractors go, it's hard to beat the Troy Built Super Bronco XP. Beats Deere, Husky, Cub, etc spec to spec. I almost pulled the trigger on it but I've decided to step up to a commercial grade machine instead. With the obstacles I have in my yard I really need the fabricated steel deck. As of now I'm probably going to snag the Husky GT52XLSi.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Lots of good info at: Lawn & Garden

Was researching similar need but bought a walk-behind brush mower instead. There were a number of specific models recommended.

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score

ZERO TURN

Its a tool, looks like little tractor is BS for lawn mower
    They do make mini tractors that might handle some tools for $12K

The zero turn is faster and has zero turn for trimming and flipping around to go the other way

traction., it has 2 driving wheels not one

its the wrong season but otherwise look at sears outlet

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Stromper; 03-12-17 at 07:02 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

iTrader Score

like anything else, you have to look at more than the specs, sit on em, get a feel for the ergonomics, reach for the controls, nothing sucks more than sitting on the wrong tractor for 3 hours . You'll wanna go back to a push mower, actually trying em out is even better, how bad does it sink in soft going and tear up yer lawn, how easy are attachments to remove and hook up, what kind of attachments are available, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 03-12-17 at 08:15 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Also, have a look at Lawn Mowers Direct. They have free shipping, good place to ship once you know what you're looking for.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Also, have a look at Lawn Mowers Direct. They have free shipping, good place to ship once you know what you're looking for.
    also a good way to drive local bricks & mortar shops out of business

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    also a good way to drive local bricks & mortar shops out of business
    If he's shopping for a commercial grade, absolutely go local. If he's shopping for a box store homeowner special, save yourself the time and the money. Lowe's and Home Depot will be fine.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the input, Found a few good deals on used but need to travel to have a look see. so not sure with the weather and time I am going to be able to venture far and wide,, Looked at mowers direct good prices but rather buy local.. Will keep the search engine on med low and try to find something more local. New ones have a appeal and the Troy blit super bronco 50 looks like a nice buy.. I now know more about Lawn tractors then Bikes .. LOL

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Mines just over 2 acres with tons of obstacles and slopes. Takes an hour flat to mow. I bought a hustler zero turn. Previous owners had tractor with 60 inch decking and took over 2 hrs. Mines got a 54 a few takes less than half the time. I financed it at zero percent for 4 yrs. 4yr 400hr warranty, lifetime on frame and deck. Two more payments and it's mine. Still runs and looks like new. Has a hitch for pulling yard trailer. 135$ a month is much cheaper than paying someone to mow.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

If you have a lot to mow and around a bunch, tough to beat zero turn. I bought a Kubota Z121s a couple years back. Under half the time to mow my lawn versus my old Husqvarna tractor type. Obviously more money, but the time savings is incredible especially if you mow around tight areas. And most ZT mowers spin the blades faster than standard tractors. But if you have any decent inclines, ZT might be tough because the front wheels float, no control of them, the mower will tend to crab walk.
    Kubota runs 0% financing occasionally.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I think some of the most important things to me haven't been addressed.. which is the price and the storage space. Since I'm a cheapskate, I can't justify spending the big $$$ on the zero turn mowers. They are certainly nice and are super fast and powerful, but they are also huge and won't fit into most sheds! I bought myself a cheap $300 mower that needed a bit of maintenance, and after putting it all together and getting it to run, after the one season I was all in for a new mower. Nothing wrong with the old one, but I also realized that I did not need a bagger (expensive add on but also more work). Mulching really works.. and I noticed no difference in my lawn quality between the first year when I bagged everything and the next years after that I did only mulching. It is a bit nicer to deal with leaves, since if you get a lot.. mulching gets a big dusty nasty.. but can still be done.

Also to note, most double door sheds are like 54" or so wide.. in which most larger mowers are larger than that unless you take the time to try to flip up one side or the other.. so I actually figured this out BEFORE my mower shipped, and changed gears to a smaller sized one that would fit without hassle.

I never liked the john deere's since they have umm a hydraulic clutch? It really does drive like a manual transmission that you need two pedals, but also much much more costly if it gets messed up. Also they have a flip switch/electric control for the deck engagement, which could be problematic as well.

So I've owned a troy bilt, and now a craftsman. What confused me when I switched was the brake/go pedal was on different feet so it took some time to get used to. Both are brake for full brake, and slowly release the pedal to engage the slip gear. Both have manually controlled decks for height etc.

Some have lights, which is handy sometimes.. although that's when more mosquitos come out so I'd rather not be out there at that time. They all fit a little different, so going to a box store and sitting in one makes all the difference.

Getting in on a sale time could mean getting a decent sized tractor for right around $1000 which is nice for me. I got some president sales plus some wheeling and dealing with the sears salesman. This was interesting because they had "powers" to finagle the price so he managed to get me a 1,300 one for a shade over $900.. I can't complain about that. Certainly the inclines etc will make or break some of the other mowers, but if you have a lot of room in between obstacles and not so many humps and bumps I don't see why you can't get the box store home owners one. If you want to let the grass grow super long and want to run like a boss and get 'er done, then fork out for the big dog zero turn one and it'll make quick work of it. I think that's the biggest downfall of mulching and having a smaller mower. If you let that grass get wet, or grow longer than .. a foot or so, then they will have to work harder and mow slower.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

i am in the same boat...i worked through my options and it seems like the 4 wheel steering line of john deeres are going to be the best bet for me and what i want to do with it...i probably won't need as big of a machine as you but i want to be able to tow a garden trailer with firewood, thatcher, spreader and have a vac powered bagging system...at first i wanted a zero turn for the mobility of being able to move forward and backward and around things easily but with a sometimes wet backyard lawn the bigger tires would be better plus wanting to tow attachments, a tractor style is going to work better for me so the 4 wheel steering will help with the mobility to get around obstacles

Zero Turn Mower Advice

Riding Mowers | 4-Wheel Steering Tractors | John Deere US

0 Not allowed!
    bike: 10 Bonneville SE
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread
    "last night i told myself no but i knew i wanted it"
    -Ryan

iTrader Score

A ZT will tow the hell out of attachments. Very maneuverable as well. They have their limitations but overall, I haven't been restricted to do anything with mine.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Finely couched up the cash and bought a lawn tractor.... Can't say anything other then I just pulled the trigger after looking at new/used and All the color options... I went Black... Craftsmen pro series 8200 46in deck with Kohler 24 hp. engine 5 inch turning radius which is a selling point as nothing else comes close unless you go ZT.... Time will tell..

1 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score

The hydrostatic transmission on my 12 year old Craftsman 48" went bad ($700!), so I bought a Husky 52". I liked the lever style transmission control on the Craftsman better than the foot pedal style on the Husky. Also, the "Bag fill" indicator on the Craftsman was much more reliable than the same indicator on the Husky - this is kind of a big deal for me. I mow 2 acres of bumpy, hilly terrain.
    I found that electronic power steering was great on my ATV's, and I started looking for it in lawn tractors. Only Cub Cadet was offering it at the time, and reviews indicated that they were not great machines, so I abandoned the EPS criteria. Now, I wish that my Husky had EPS.
    Overall, if I had to buy again, I would be looking hard at Craftsman again.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

We pulled the trigger on a machine yesterday, Cub Cadet XT-1 LT50. I really wanted to go commercial​ grade but ended up deciding on saving the money for an oversized man-toy down the road.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Subscribed. In the same boat. Just went from .25ac to 2.0ac. While my little push mower is able, I'm not willing.
    Last weekend I picked up a used Deere 325 tractor. Came with a 48" Mower Deck, 42" Snow Blower (single-stage), Chains, Tail Weights, Dump Trailer and Thatcher attachment. Tractor and attachments are super clean and need nothing. Picked it from an older, retired gentleman who was moving "south" to a place where he was no longer going to need to mow lawns. I think the last time I was this stoked about mowing the lawn was when I was a wee lad and my father sat me on his Wheel Horse tractor and pointed me in the general direction of the lawn.

2 Not allowed!
    John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quality Find. 3 series Deere's are very nice...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Wow, that's a great find.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

For sure, like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. The Gods were smiling on me that day. Still stop and stare at it every night as I walk through the garage.

0 Not allowed!
    John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Don't buy a fuckin' Craftsman! If you don't believe or haven't seen it yet, you can check out my woeful Craftsman experience HERE

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast