Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Legal Advice: Basement Leaking in Recently Purchased House

Re: Legal Advice: Basement Leaking in Recently Purchased House

Are you swimming in the basement yet. Benn pouring here for like 20 hours

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

FLEX SEAL! I heard you can shoot holes in a boat with a cannon and shit...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

My guess is he has been at work...

Carla is probably having a blast down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

Sump pump was still going strong this AM. A friend of mine is staying with me and says it's still going now too. I actually got up at 5 this morning with big plans to go to Home Depot and get another pump to replace the old ass one there. Then I remember I didn't get home til midnight the night before and went back to sleep. I live quite the exciting life if you couldn't tell.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    FLEX SEAL! I heard you can shoot holes in a boat with a cannon and shit...
    You beat me to it!

I was going to suggest the tape!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    You beat me to it!

I was going to suggest the tape!!!
    Im surprised nobody had mentioned it yet....it is page 3!

Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

As I mentioned earlier, my basement is a sieve. I've tried hydraulic cement, drylock paint, silicon caulking, etc. The water will just find its way in. While I live on a hill, my lot is flat enough that I cannot get the right pitch to run below foundation drainage. I'm seriously considering digging and exterior trench (french drain like) and installing a pit with pump outside. But the amount of water I would get would be astronomical and the power bill would be hideous. Water issues in NE can be an absolute bitch.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Considering the stuggle I dealt with at my house, I learned that all you can do is divert water. There is no other solution...catch and divert.

In other news, my pump has come on more often in the last two days than in the last 2 years when it was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, my basement is a sieve. I've tried hydraulic cement, drylock paint, silicon caulking, etc. The water will just find its way in. While I live on a hill, my lot is flat enough that I cannot get the right pitch to run below foundation drainage. I'm seriously considering digging and exterior trench (french drain like) and installing a pit with pump outside. But the amount of water I would get would be astronomical and the power bill would be hideous. Water issues in NE can be an absolute bitch.
    This is gold! There is not a single product available that will stop the water if applied to the inside. It's one thing to stop dampness coming from the foundation on the inside, but you will never stop water infiltration.

You need to deal with it from the outside, and under the floor slab. I have a 195 year old farm house with a field stone foundation, every time it rains, the walls are soaked. Gutters will reduce that water drastically in my case once I install them, but I also made a moat around the perimeter walls for the water to flow to a drain. I have a pump just in case, but so far, the water soaks into the ground before building up.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I suppose I better hook the hose back up to my sump pump, haven't need it for a few years but maybe when the ground thaws this time I will!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

1.5" of water Thurs into Friday will be giving the pumps a workout.

When I bought my house, it has a dirt flood in the basement, native dirt, level or nearly level with the bottom of the footings, foundation is cement block with plenty of cracks and places for water to infiltrate. well above any water table, never saw a drop of water till I poured a concrete floor and made part of it living space with a carpet........ then it rained the the winter, any water that previously infiltrated the walls, immediately soaked thru the dirt floor. I had slopes that directed runoff directly to my foundation. The next summer, I did some serious excavation to correct that problem, and it seemed to have gone, till I built my barn and ran a waterline and conduit for phone & network cables. Started seeing water come in from the trench are of disturbed earth that was acting like a wick, but as nature has slowly compacted the earth in that trench, the problem has gone away.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Radio tells me torrential downpours tonight, oh boy!

Considering taking out stairs and replacing with slide.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 04-06-17 at 07:33 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I did a diving board, more fun. Just watch out for the boiler, shallow there...

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    My BIL live in a house on the side of a hill near Stowe, VT that had major water-in-basement problems.

He eventually excavated from above the house around both sides, with drains below the house. A lot of work, but it was effective and he got his money back when they sold.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    You should also get a battery back-up for your pump, in case power goes out in a storm.
    Can anyone tell me about these. What could/should we be looking for in a backup for this?

I also have a wet basement in my world.. although, fortunately not mine. Home has french drains around the perimeter of the basement and a sump pump. After the recent rains this AM she found one of the basement walls "peeing" onto the slab. Sounds non-critical as the pump is keeping up and the basement is actually draining. So.. that's good. I guess.

This weekend we are going to arm her with a backup pump. I have no experience with sump pumps myself. My plan is to look at the existing pump tonight and simply try to match or exceed specs.
    I'd also really love to give her some more peace of mind with some sort of battery backup for the pump. It cycles A LOT! I think it may be running on the order of 2x per minute. She has a generator.. but that's obviously useless if she's away at work or something when the power fails. This is a rural home where power failures are a real concern. With the pump running this frequently I'm thinking the battery system may be worth the investment.

WTF am I looking for/at here?

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-07-17 at 09:06 AM.

Calculate out running load of the pump vs how much battery you'd need to run for 10 minutes. You might decide against battery backups for this application afterwards.

Battery backups are EXPENSIVE if you want it to run for any length of time.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Safe to assume she's also on a well?

If not, as a backup, these are nice... http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/pr...home-guard-max No electricity required.

As Clayton says, it's just math to figure out what you need if you want to put a UPS on the pump that's there.

I've also heard of a lot of people putting in a backup 12V pump, connected to a deep cycle battery that's just always on a trickle charger. Something like 017198 - Zoeller 017198, 12V DC Backup Pump Only With Terminals For Basement Sentry I Backup Sump Pump Systems - Pump Products

Backup pump is set "higher" than the AC one, so it only comes on when the AC one fails.

- - - Updated - - -

Safe to assume she's also on a well?

If not, as a backup, these are nice... http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/pr...home-guard-max No electricity required.

As Clayton says, it's just math to figure out what you need if you want to put a UPS on the pump that's there.

I've also heard of a lot of people putting in a backup 12V pump, connected to a deep cycle battery that's just always on a trickle charger. Something like 017198 - Zoeller 017198, 12V DC Backup Pump Only With Terminals For Basement Sentry I Backup Sump Pump Systems - Pump Products

Backup pump is set "higher" than the AC one, so it only comes on when the AC one fails.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Can anyone tell me about these. What could/should we be looking for in a backup for this?

I also have a wet basement in my world.. although, fortunately not mine. Home has french drains around the perimeter of the basement and a sump pump. After the recent rains this AM she found one of the basement walls "peeing" onto the slab. Sounds non-critical as the pump is keeping up and the basement is actually draining. So.. that's good. I guess.

This weekend we are going to arm her with a backup pump. I have no experience with sump pumps myself. My plan is to look at the existing pump tonight and simply try to match or exceed specs.
    I'd also really love to give her some more peace of mind with some sort of battery backup for the pump. It cycles A LOT! I think it may be running on the order of 2x per minute. She has a generator.. but that's obviously useless if she's away at work or something when the power fails. This is a rural home where power failures are a real concern. With the pump running this frequently I'm thinking the battery system may be worth the investment.

WTF am I looking for/at here?
    Like Randy said, tell her to get a REAL backup generator that does everything. The type that starts itself up and switches itself over to run the whole house. If she's got natural gas on the street, hook to it, if not, get propane and get on automatic delivery. Last thing you want is to be gone for a few days in a rain storm and lose power without knowing. And the generator will be a heck of a lot more useful when she loses power even if a sump pump isn't required at the time.

Jeff

Rural home. No natural gas. Private 220V well.

Standby generator would be cost prohibitive. Although I can see where that would be considered the "right" solution. That seems a lot less likely to happen though.

Looks like the 12VDC backup pump systems run about $500 all in. Advertising about 10-12 hours of continuous use.. or 24+ if cycling. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Although at this point she's telling me she'll just not put anything on the floor in the basement and cross her fingers.

Starting a sump pump is a pretty big spike in draw isn't it? Cycling time on a battery might not be as long as you think.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The backup pumps are usually quite a bit smaller than the main pump and the backup systems use deep cycle marine-type batteries. Probably enough power to get through a day or two of cycling but likely not much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Starting a sump pump is a pretty big spike in draw isn't it? Cycling time on a battery might not be as long as advertised.
    We saying those things lie? False advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    The backup pumps are usually quite a bit smaller than the main pump and the backup systems use deep cycle marine-type batteries. Probably enough power to get through a day or two of cycling but likely not much more than that.
    That's exactly what they are claiming. There's also an audible alarm reminding you to get the genny out and get off of backup.

I agree the pumps look light duty. I wouldn't expect it hold up long as a primary duty pump.

Right now I think I'm inclined to pull the plug on her pump and see how bad it gets after an hour or two. Maybe this is a problem not even worth fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Starting a sump pump is a pretty big spike in draw isn't it? Cycling time on a battery might not be as long as you think.
    Single phase motors use capacitors to mitigate inrush current, a standard inverse time breaker is sized at 250% of the full load current per NEC 430.52. If it's an instantaneous trip breaker, they are sized to 800% so there is a potential to see that amount of spike on a single phase motor, but inrush only occurs for a few hundred milliseconds. Repeated stopping and starting can definitely hurt you, I'd recommend using a 2 float system to establish a zone of control rather than a single float which can cause a motor to chatter.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast