Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Legal Advice: Basement Leaking in Recently Purchased House

Re: Legal Advice: Basement Leaking in Recently Purchased House

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Single phase motors use capacitors to mitigate inrush current, a standard inverse time breaker is sized at 250% of the full load current per NEC 430.52. If it's an instantaneous trip breaker, they are sized to 800% so there is a potential to see that amount of spike on a single phase motor, but inrush only occurs for a few hundred milliseconds. Repeated stopping and starting can definitely hurt you, I'd recommend using a 2 float system to establish a zone of control rather than a single float which can cause a motor to chatter.
    I'll take your word for it since 99% of what you said sailed straight over my head.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

The backup pumps are still rated for several hundred to a couple thousand gph. I would expect it to keep up just fine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Something like this setup.

Welp. On closer inspection she seems to have a good quality 1/3rd hp pump. 1 1/4 drain lines seem small to me, but what do I know.
    Then I notice what the pump is sitting in.. a half buried (and I mean barely half) drywall bucket. Maybe fills up with 2 whole gallons of water before triggering the float.
    Oh, and there's no check valve. So the bucket half refills as soon as the pump turns off.

Fricken genius!

If it has worked up til now...

When was the last time we had a flood and power outage at the same time? Back up systems, especially battery based ones seem like wasted money to me.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    When was the last time we had a flood and power outage at the same time?
    Whut?

That is when we lose power. We don't lose power when it's sunny, 85, and convenient.

As to "if it works". We have no idea how well or poorly it works. Home is new to her, this is her first spring here. She was pretty upset when she sent me video of the wall "peeing" water into the middle of the room! On 2nd look it doesn't seem quite as bad as the text message indicated. But.. well.. you know.

My spidey senses tell me that the pump cycles too much. My limited understanding of such things is that many pump cycles => sad pump. Fewer => happier pump. I think I can add a check valve and drop in a larger diameter sump bucket. I think those two upgrades should improve the situation a bunch.

Mine has been cycling every 10-15 minutes pretty much all week.

Check valve will be a huge improvement since you won't be dumping half a gallon back into the bucket when the pump shuts off.

Also, FWIW, my pump moves about 2gal when the float is tripped. Sounds to me like her setup is reasonable with the exception of the check valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    If it has worked up til now...

When was the last time we had a flood and power outage at the same time? Back up systems, especially battery based ones seem like wasted money to me.
    I believe a backup system would fall under the category of "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

So with the impending monsoon due tomorrow/tomorrow night Want me to bring some pumps down?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Rural home. No natural gas. Private 220V well.

Standby generator would be cost prohibitive. Although I can see where that would be considered the "right" solution. That seems a lot less likely to happen though.

Looks like the 12VDC backup pump systems run about $500 all in. Advertising about 10-12 hours of continuous use.. or 24+ if cycling. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Although at this point she's telling me she'll just not put anything on the floor in the basement and cross her fingers.
    What about putting a UPS on a stand? You should be able to get her a good deal on one.

I wanted a UPS to run our Rinnai wall heater during a power outage: it's only about 120 for the fan and igniter. Probably a dozen people said, "You can't do that." Than I learned that Rinnai sells one for just that purpose. We got a whole house genset so didn't need it.

A friend of mine rigged a boat bilge pump to two batteries as a backup: it's in the same well, a few inches higher than their main pump. But while their ratings sound impressive, low voltage, head height, and flow resistance give most installations only about half their rated capacity. But they're cheap: less than $100.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-06-17 at 07:00 AM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

You would think I'd be able to score great discounts on UPSes.. but it seems maybe not. Turns out a few of my coworkers have "decommissioned" environmental monitoring hardware in their basements too.. including leak detection rope sensors. Neat stuff.

In the end it turns out her basement just isn't as bad as I/we thought. The french drains are effective. I unplugged the sump for an hour or two and it filled, but did not flood. I'm feeling this may just be a nuisance we live with.

A standby generator would be the nuke from orbit approach. Would be nice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234