Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Lexus IS 350 AWD f sport. any insight?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Lexus IS 350 AWD f sport. any insight?

Might move one from my Audi A4.

Anyone have driven/ comment on the IS350?
    Looking for a 2017 like this a 350 v6 AWD maybe F sport ( I was happy with the a4 base suspension more so after a stage 1 tune and upgraded sway bar)

https://www.carmax.com/car/21642489

Reliability? Cost of ownership? known failures/ concerns? All the reliability lists and cost of wonership show Lexus and the IS to be very favorable

Prelim info shows, increased inner tire wear ( fluid filled control arms for dynamic feel, can be remedied with poly bushings) and not much else compared to the Audi and its litany of character ( piston rings, oil consumption, oil leaks, timing chains snap, odd motor mounts, cam shaft wear, etc... etc..)

Is this a platform that can be bought at 80 to 100k and run reliably for another 100k wiht minimal updates compared to Audis?

Willing to trade fun to drive for reliable low cost( german overengineering, parts cost)

I Dont need the latest tech. I just need functional. Its my DD, take kids to school, drive to work.
    I never really get to "let it out" as such a S4 is waste and the current stage 1 tune is a bit of a waste but cures that annoying "turbo" lag

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Lexus IS 350 AWD f sport. any insight?

It's just a nicer and slightly tweaked Toyota. You can pound miles on them for cheap compared to the Germans.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

I don't have any personal experience, but I suspect it would be much more reliable than the A4 as a daily driver. My 2009 BMW has been quite reliable, but I put 4k miles at most per year on it so not so fair comparison. In general, any of the newer Japanese cars should go to 200k without many issues. Lots of "fun", reliable daily drivers out there (Accord Sport with 2 liter turbo, Camry TRD with the V6, even the Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve with the turbo)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR/Interceptor, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    It's just a nicer and slightly tweaked Toyota. You can pound miles on them for cheap compared to the Germans.
    I like toyota.. the audi is..... interesting. right now with all my hobbies i cant give my time to the Audi. and it goes to mechanic and that is where the lost $$ occurs

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I like toyota.. the audi is..... interesting. right now with all my hobbies i cant give my time to the Audi. and it goes to mechanic and that is where the lost $$ occurs
    I'm pretty sold on the Yota's for daily drivers at this point. I wasn't knocking it. I still love the Euro rides but the care and feeding can be an issue for sure.

I was trying to say reliability shouldn't be an issue compared to the Audi given the parent company.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'm pretty sold on the Yota's for daily drivers at this point. I wasn't knocking it. I still love the Euro rides but the care and feeding can be an issue for sure.

I was trying to say reliability shouldn't be an issue compared to the Audi given the parent company.
    Enough of a DD with some nice flair/ personality?

I want to enjoy the ride feel a little pampered. Dont mind losing some" Euro ride charcterstics " for increased reliability. I'm pretty easy to please.
    Comfy seats, pretty lines, solid interior that isnt flimsy/ looks like its been slapped on. Solid feel on the ground not wishy washy suspension..... But.. I'm also just driving the kids to school. going to market basket. I dont get to drive hi speed to NH, hitting corners, letting her out. Most I get is rt 125 and the off ramps around me.

hmmmm......

I want to enjoy the ride feel a little pampered. Dont mind losing some" Euro ride charcterstics " for increased reliability. I'm pretty easy to please.
    Comfy seats, pretty lines, solid interior that isnt flimsy/ looks like its been slapped on. Solid feel on the ground not wishy washy suspension..... But.. I'm also just driving the kids to school. going to market basket. I dont get to drive hi speed to NH, hitting corners, letting her out. Most I get is rt 125 and the off ramps around me.
    The personality/flair is really subjective. I've found the cars to be more boring and clinical in how they go about their business, but they put up some numbers. They can certainly pamper you, but driving them never got my blood flowing. I had an SE Camry for around 70K miles. I really like the interior and felt it was waaaay nicer then what you'd find in GM trucks that cost twice as much. It was also planted, not wishy washy and had surprisingly quick reflexes. It definitely had a "taught" ride, but fell apart quickly when really hustled. Kid would be pasted to the door at that point though.

The Lexus variants are probably a step up in the fit and finish/coddling department and similar on the handling front, but I have no direct experience.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Try the Mazda 6 Grand touring reserve or signature. Both have the 2.5 Turbo engines. They are beautiful inside and the steering rivals the Germans. I was blown away at how good this Japanese sedan is for the price point. They are also easier to buy new used because they don't have SUV next to their name. Put some Michelin Crossclimate 2 tires and you have a car that can handle our 4 seasons just fine with FWD

Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR/Interceptor, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Hypertarded

I'd say it will be at least as engaging to drive as the A4, I'd try both an F sport and regular if you can(ride comfort), worse mileage than the audi, seems like you've done your research & are aware of the tire wear fix(and i'll assume the rear sway), if you go AWD at least sit in one and pay attention to the transmission tunnel in relation to your right leg.

WAY more reliable & cheaper to own / maint than the Audi. There is also an upgrade shift kit for the transmission, doesn't turn it into a dual clutch, but noticeably speeds up the shifts.

Girlfriend has a '19 F sport AWD (bought new) with around 25k on the clock. She just put tires on it, the salesman warned us about wear when she bought it. It might squeak out 25 MPG, never really put pen to paper so can't say for sure. Goes really fucking good in snow for what it is. The transmission tunnel is sorta goofy, but I never notice it when driving. Everything feels pretty solid and will last like you would hope a Toyota should. It goes pretty good. She hasn't had a single problem with the car yet.

I'm 6' and around 210 lbs, and while I'm not cramped, it feels small. The center console is really small, and the cup holders fucking suck. The HVAC control layout kinda suck too. It's not what I would call exciting to drive.

Lifer

M240?

Is Audi less of a Vw than Lexus is a Yota?

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Is Audi less of a Vw than Lexus is a Yota?
    In terms of overall quality, coddling, performance? I'm not a huge fan of VAG cars in general when it comes to reliability and total cost of ownership, especially if someone else is paid to maintain them.

Personally, if I cared most about driving dynamics, I'd still target BMW, even though I'm not a huge fan of their newer stuff. If I wanted a Euro car that was more goldilocks in nature I'd be looking at Volvo. The rest I don't have much use for when it comes to thinking about actually owning one.

I don't think that's what the OP is going for though. It seems like he wants a nice car to drive that has a touch spice to it that won't be in the shop a lot. The Lexus he asked about comes pretty close to fitting that mission.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

In terms of overall quality, coddling, performance? I'm not a huge fan of VAG cars in general when it comes to reliability and total cost of ownership, especially if someone else is paid to maintain them.

Personally, if I cared most about driving dynamics, I'd still target BMW, even though I'm not a huge fan of their newer stuff. If I wanted a Euro car that was more goldilocks in nature I'd be looking at Volvo. The rest I don't have much use for when it comes to thinking about actually owning one.

I don't think that's what the OP is going for though. It seems like he wants a nice car to drive that has a touch spice to it that won't be in the shop a lot. The Lexus he asked about comes pretty close to fitting that mission.
    OP I would not hesitate on this Lexus, I drove a IS350 and loved it.

E30addict the new Volvos are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    OP I would not hesitate on this Lexus, I drove a IS350 and loved it.

E30addict the new Volvos are gorgeous.
    I'm leaning on the is 350,,, cant find one. There is an IS300 at Watertown or Danvers I might drive. I coudl "tune" it but word on the net is that even though 50 less hp its still just as fast 0 to 60?

I have the GX470 to DD right now and the Audi when it comes back so I can "wait" for a decent rust free car not from new england. or a recent very clean undercarriage from here.

One of my buddies is trying to talk me into a tesla now.... seeesh IDK. maybe I'll look at them but.... reliability / confidence might not be there as its still a WIP

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    M240?
    I'm in a m235i xdrive and still love it. Bought it at 10k and have 78k on it. I'll be moving on in the next year and that actually upsets me. Even though it made me change the coolant overflow line yesterday.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Pops has the rc 350 ftype for a few years and has had no issues, however that guy don't drive anywhere.

-Alex

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I'm in a m235i xdrive and still love it. Bought it at 10k and have 78k on it. I'll be moving on in the next year and that actually upsets me. Even though it made me change the coolant overflow line yesterday.
    I still really enjoy driving my m235 but it sounds like the OP needs four doors. Thinking in 4 years I have a milestone birthday so I might drop the bimmer and get a 'vette (to cross it off my bucket list).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    I still really enjoy driving my m235 but it sounds like the OP needs four doors. Thinking in 4 years I have a milestone birthday so I might drop the bimmer and get a 'vette (to cross it off my bucket list).
    What’s your ideal vette

Lifer

I don't know much about them TBH, just always wanted one. I'm not a classic car guy so it would be a newer used one (maybe a C7).

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    If your not in love & planning to keep it long term, pull the plug and don't look back. I love my BMWs, but when i'm not fully committed to one it goes before 80k.

You KNOW the water pump is next....

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    If your not in love & planning to keep it long term, pull the plug and don't look back. I love my BMWs, but when i'm not fully committed to one it goes before 80k.

You KNOW the water pump is next....
    Trying to explain this to the wife currently. She still has a tough time with used prices right now even though she can get them at dealer cost. I'm just hoping the conversation is shorter than euro time bomb repairs.

-Alex