Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Life is...

  1. #1
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Life is...


    So...which is it?

    This...

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming "Fuck, what a ride!"


    Or this....

    Had I known I'd live this long I'd have taken better care of myself....!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  2. #2
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterbury, VT
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,135

    Life is...

    Or - I'm hoping that when it is my time to go I pass like my Grandfather did. Sleeping peacefully and passing quietly. Not screaming in complete panic like his passengers did...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SSearchVT

    For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

  3. #3
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Life is...

    or....

    It's better to burn out. Than to fade away. (Neil Young)
    It's better to burn out. Than to rust away. (Kurt Cobain)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  4. #4
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,056

    Life is...

    That '...life is a journey...' thing has been soooo whored out. I see it now in reference to everything. Fuck, I've even seen it in wunna those country-type living mail order rags as a wall hanging about chocolate! I personally LOVE the one you've posted, which I'm pretty sure was the butchered version Hunter Thompson penned some years ago for an article he did for wunna the moto rags. I think that's awesome...

    BTW-the Kurt Cobain (or however the fuck you spell it!) thing I BELIEVE was done that way as a sorta tribute TO Neil Young (Rust Never Sleeps)...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  5. #5
    Lifer R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somewhere you dont know...
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,103

    Life is...

    Hey......


    i read all this crap to get philosophical views?

    I thought there would be something good here, instead i get blah blah blah

    Life is a garden, Dig it! (Joe Dirt)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somewhere you dont know...
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,103

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Or - I'm hoping that when it is my time to go I pass like my Grandfather did. Sleeping peacefully and passing quietly. Not screaming in complete panic like his passengers did...
    Your grandfather is a true american. You should be proud, and we should all wish we are as lucky as he was!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterbury, VT
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,135

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    or....

    It's better to burn out. Than to fade away. (Neil Young)
    It's better to burn out. Than to rust away. (Kurt Cobain)
    And - It's better to burn out then to fade away - Def Leopard

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SSearchVT

    For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

  8. #8
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,643

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    And - It's better to burn out then to fade away - Def Leppard

    I fixed it for you.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  9. #9
    Littering and........
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    7,233

    Life is...

    So...which is it?

    This...

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming "Fuck, what a ride!"


    Or this....

    Had I known I'd live this long I'd have taken better care of myself....!
    I vote for the first one, because being old appears to suck.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,075

    Life is...

    I definitly vote for ther first:
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming "Fuck, what a ride!"'

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Just Registered bump909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,269

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    And - It's better to burn out than to fade away - Def Leppard
    I fixed it for you.
    Fixed for both of you.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

  12. #12
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Life is...

    Perhaps,

    It's better to burn out THEN to fade away....is correct!

    After you have skidded in broadside, smoke pouring from all edifices, teeth ground to nubs, penis erect and chaffed, THEN you fade away...????

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  13. #13
    IWOK Prez. bigred875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Manvile, RI
    Posts
    8,123

    Life is...

    like a box of chocolates?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    37,177

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I fixed it for you.
    beat me to it.

    I may not be offically in "that generation" but w/ two older brothers that were, i grew up on Van Halen, Def Leppard, Dokken, U2 etc.

    BTW, Good spot, Bumpus. I missed that one

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  15. #15
    Just Registered bump909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,269

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Perhaps,

    It's better to burn out THEN to fade away....is correct!
    Go back to school.

    Learn the Difference Between "Than" and "Then"


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

  16. #16
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by bump909 View Post
    I DO understand the difference. Which is why I suggested that, perhaps, the meaning of the phrase could be taken to BE time related...THEN to fade away. That is, after you have slid in, big boner, etc. THEN you fade away...you know AFTER.

    Another, completely different take on the sentiment which, was originally, a comparitive observation...that is, I would rather explode in a blaze of whoop assed glory THAN to simply become transparent to the point of silent invisibility.

    Don't need no freekin grammer lessons from you...you need to learn to read more carefully....

    (see my original post for my original post)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  17. #17
    Just Registered bump909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,269

    Life is...

    I need to better comprehend your retarded interpretation?

    Key words, "it's better to", as in one is better than the other. The statement is not supposed to be read as "It's better to die quickly, then proceed to die slowly (even though you're already dead from a quick death)".

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

  18. #18
    Just Registered beet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Meriden CT
    Posts
    11,630

    Life is...

    Put a buddy in the ground today. He was one day younger then me. He drank his self to death. I went to see him last week & I could see his time was going to be short. ( Life goes by fast enjoy it cause you don't know. Only two things are for sure.


    The Bardo Thodol also spelled Bardo Thotrol, for centuries it was passed down orally. This ancient text was first put into written form by the legendary Padma Sambhava in the 8th century A.D. Translated, Bardo Thodol means "liberation by hearing on the after death plane". The book acts as a guide for the dead during the state that intervenes death and the next rebirth.
    This scripture (The Bardo Thotrol) from Tibetan Buddhism was traditionally read aloud to the dying to help them attain liberation. It guides a person to use the moment of death to recognize the nature of mind and attain liberation.

    It teaches that awareness once freed from the body, creates its own reality like that of a dream. This dream projection unfolds in predictable ways in ways both frightening and beautiful. Peaceful and wrathful visions appear, and these visions can be overwhelming. Since the awareness is still in shock of no longer being attached to and shielded by a body, it needs guidance and forewarning so that key decisions that lead to enlightenment are made. Teaches how one can attain heavenly realms by recognizing the enlightened realms as opposed to being drawn into the realms of seduction that pull incorporeal awareness into cyclic suffering.

    An interesting sidenote: Some of the concepts in the can be found in The Gospel of Mary Magdalene.



    So watch who you step on you could be a step in the next life.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

    Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

  19. #19
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by bump909 View Post
    I need to better comprehend your retarded interpretation?

    Key words, "it's better to", as in one is better than the other. The statement is not supposed to be read as "It's better to die quickly, then proceed to die slowly (even though you're already dead from a quick death)".
    Good point...well played.

    so...how 'bout....

    It's better to burn out then to fade away, than to just fade away.....


    THIS HORSE IS OFFICIALLY DEAD....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  20. #20
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    8,806

    Life is...

    Beet...didnt understand most of your post but

    He drank his self to death.
    is an awful way to go...

    Sorry for your loss....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

  21. #21
    Just Registered bump909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,269

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    so...how 'bout....

    It's better to burn out then to fade away, than to just fade away.....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

  22. #22
    Just Registered beet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Meriden CT
    Posts
    11,630

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

    Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

  23. #23
    .... naked-daytrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    11 Wall Street New York, NY 10005
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,664

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by beet View Post
    Put a buddy in the ground today. He was one day younger then me. He drank his self to death. I went to see him last week & I could see his time was going to be short. ( Life goes by fast enjoy it cause you don't know. Only two things are for sure.


    The Bardo Thodol also spelled Bardo Thotrol, for centuries it was passed down orally. This ancient text was first put into written form by the legendary Padma Sambhava in the 8th century A.D. Translated, Bardo Thodol means "liberation by hearing on the after death plane". The book acts as a guide for the dead during the state that intervenes death and the next rebirth.
    This scripture (The Bardo Thotrol) from Tibetan Buddhism was traditionally read aloud to the dying to help them attain liberation. It guides a person to use the moment of death to recognize the nature of mind and attain liberation.

    It teaches that awareness once freed from the body, creates its own reality like that of a dream. This dream projection unfolds in predictable ways in ways both frightening and beautiful. Peaceful and wrathful visions appear, and these visions can be overwhelming. Since the awareness is still in shock of no longer being attached to and shielded by a body, it needs guidance and forewarning so that key decisions that lead to enlightenment are made. Teaches how one can attain heavenly realms by recognizing the enlightened realms as opposed to being drawn into the realms of seduction that pull incorporeal awareness into cyclic suffering.

    An interesting sidenote: Some of the concepts in the can be found in The Gospel of Mary Magdalene.



    So watch who you step on you could be a step in the next life.
    \\









    BEET = CUT AND PASTE WHORE

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Just Registered beet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Meriden CT
    Posts
    11,630

    Life is...

    Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    \\








    BEET = CUT AND PASTE WHORE
    Your a post hoe digga. & a SA

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

    Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29

    Life is...

    I faded away, and then burned out.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. new girl in my life
    By Nikon in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-09-10, 10:40 AM
  2. a day in my life....
    By legalspeed in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-26-06, 07:21 AM
  3. life
    By oreo_n2 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-04, 07:31 PM
  4. Life of a Cow
    By snowborder in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-03, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •