Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Places to live down south

iTrader Score

Re: Places to live down south

I'm on the grand strand since last week through this week. Coastal Carolina's is the only place I'd live down here, but not until semi-retirement.

If only Austin TX were oceanfront...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

The good thing about being a Yankee (well, a New Englander) is that on the handful of days a year it snows in NC, you will be able to drive by and wave at all the southerners who crash their trucks when there's 0.001" of white stuff on the ground.

0 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Research triangle is ok. lots of colleges etc. But it is still on the coastal plain. flat and kinda featureless.
    Not far at all to good riding, it's literally right on the border with the Piedmont. Just a little bit west and there are plenty of good places to ride. It's not the mountains but there are endless miles of twisty country roads with decent elevation change.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I'm on the grand strand since last week through this week. Coastal Carolina's is the only place I'd live down here, but not until semi-retirement.
    The beaches are great there. From high school on my friends and I would always rent a place in Cherry Grove, SC. Just above North Myrtle, easy to get in and out of, lots of nice beach bars, and not too far to ride down to MB for a bit of excitement. From not much further south than Myrtle Beach all the way through Georgia the beach is crap. You get lots of clay wash that makes the ocean brown, and there's tons of jellyfish and sand dollars. Literally can't take two steps out without stepping on a sand dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The good thing about being a Yankee (well, a New Englander) is that on the handful of days a year it snows in NC, you will be able to drive by and wave at all the southerners who crash their trucks when there's 0.001" of white stuff on the ground.
    Want to see funny? Tell a New Englander there's a hurricane coming.

4 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score

Yeah, except the odds of being in a wreck are greater than the odds of you reaching orgasm anytime you decide to jerk off.

I was in Richmond when they got 6" of snow and it paralyzed things. I offered to drive for the taxi guy since he was about to kill us every 100'.

I'd rather stay in and enjoy the day off.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    If only Austin TX were oceanfront...
    Only thing I miss, but the lake works for me

1 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

iTrader Score

But for family commitments here, I'd already be there. Boone is in the mountains and nice, and throughout the state there are enough colleges to keep a geezer like me employed at warping young minds. I could go for the coast, but my wife likes the mountains the riding is pretty much year round.

I don't know if I'll ever get there, but I can dream...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post

The beaches are great there. From high school on my friends and I would always rent a place in Cherry Grove, SC. Just above North Myrtle, easy to get in and out of, lots of nice beach bars, and not too far to ride down to MB for a bit of excitement. From not much further south than Myrtle Beach all the way through Georgia the beach is crap. You get lots of clay wash that makes the ocean brown, and there's tons of jellyfish and sand dollars. Literally can't take two steps out without stepping on a sand dollar.

Want to see funny? Tell a New Englander there's a hurricane coming.
    My parents were stationed at the air base in MB for 4 yrs (jr high/high school). Of all the places we lived this was hands down the best. We come back and stay north around 52nd ave. Great family area.

1 Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Columbia, SC. It's a decent college city with lots of rural towns nearby and Lake Murray certainly qualifies as a big body of water. That said, there are certainly plenty of cookie cutter suburbs around it, so you'd have to be selective about where to live. Last time I checked, waterfront and water access homes on Lake Murray were pretty reasonable. Lake Murray is awesome.

For example, this is a lot of house for the money, IMO: 170 Murray Point Rd, Batesburg, SC 29006 - lhrmls-00201360 - LakeHomes.com

Water access is much cheaper.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

//South Carolina tried to secede, so fuck those guys.
    And Massachusetts led the Abolitionist movement, so the feeling is very much mutual.

Charleston sure is pleasant 8-9 months a year, though.

I spent 16 months at Fort Benning GA - Columbus, GA and Phoenix City, AL.. Reminds me of the old joke that "Atlanta combines Northern Charm with Southern Efficiency."

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-18-17 at 02:52 PM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score

What is the sand dollar?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I have a friend that moved to Denver N.C. near lake norman. He wishes he had done it 10 years earlier. Beautiful home with a three car detached garage and a huge offroad riding area a few miles away. Its on my list when i move to a warmer climate.

0 Not allowed!

Best brush up on your scripture..

1 Not allowed!
    FREE $15 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41

instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    And Massachusetts led the Abolitionist movement, so the feeling is very much mutual.
    Well, one state is on the right side of history and morality, and one isn't

0 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score

Well, one state is on the right side of history and morality, and one isn't
    Well MA is currently on the wrong side of it, so I guess it all evens out. Birthplace and deathbed of freedom here......

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    What is the sand dollar?
    About $1.899 USD.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I moved to Asheville a year ago with my family, and love it. Year round cycling (on the road, on my good bike, no "winter bike" necessary). Cool people. Asheville is expensive, but there's a lot going on and there are plenty of much less expensive towns very nearby. Hour and change to Charlotte, 3 hours to Atlanta.

As for snow and driving, there are a lot of roads down here you wouldn't catch me on with the slightest bit of snow. Up north, they build the roads around the mountains. Down here, they go straight up over them. If it's too steep, they put in switchbacks. Not really big on guardrails either. Big consequences to a small slide. It makes for some amazing cycling/riding/driving roads though.

0 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

iTrader Score

If I was thinking South...I would consider Charleston, SC

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I lived in NC for almost 3 years before moving back to Maine at the end of 2015. I lived in Mooresville, which is known as Race City USA because many of the NASCAR teams are headquartered there. It was 20 miles or so north of Charlotte, and on the east side of Lake Norman.

I liked it was an easy ride to the mountains, and it had much larger cities and towns around it like Concord and Charlotte. Housing was cheap!! I had bought a brand new 3800sqft house with 5 bedrooms and 3.5 Baths with a 2 car garage for what a 2 -3 bed, 1-1.5 bath 1200-1500sqft and no garage would go for around here.

The motorcycle scene there is ridiculous!! I could have went to a motorcycle event most weekends! Anything from Italian cars and motorcycles, to cafe racer shows, to vintage motorcycle shows, to a weekly European motorcycle breakfast, etc...Not to mention year round riding! Charlotte Cars and Coffee is awesome and you see some unbelievable rides!!!

Registering vehicles in NC is like an act of congress!! When I bought my Toyota truck on a trip back to Maine and went to register it in NC, NC wouldn't accept my Toyota certificate of origin because they said one of the 6's looked different and said they couldn't be sure I hadn't altered it. Wasn't easy getting a new CO!! Every newly registered vehicle was a struggle! And don't think about getting an older vehicle without a title. You need a title regardless of year!

If you like smaller mountain towns, Asheville, Boone, and Blowing Rock were favorites of mine. Asheville is a really cool town!! Blowing Rock and Boone are smaller and less eclectic. The roads in the mountains are amazing!! You can ride all day on magnificent technical twisty roads!

I was an 8 hour drive from Orlando, FL and Birmingham, AL. It was great being that close to the Barber Motorsport Complex to go to the museum, and track.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff!

Cheers!
    Chris

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tiller Ayuh; 04-21-17 at 05:29 PM.
    07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Houses in Charlotte were going for around 50k last I looked. Great brewery scene down there
    Exhibit A that we all define "house" differently

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I'm heading to AZ in a couple of years. Was looking in the greater Phoenix area and even as south as Tucson and as far west as Yuma. Now 30 to 40 miles north between Phoenix and Flagstaff... Sedona!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

My brother chose to live in Durham NC, and bought a house just about on the Duke campus about 6 years ago. (He's actually on South Duke St.)

My wife and I love visiting him because the area is so rich in culture, great restaurants, easy to get around and not far from some great riding. We plan to look in that area (though outside of town) after my wife's parents aren't around. That could be 10-15 years because her mom is 85 now and healthy as they come. Her own mom (wife's grandmother) lived to 101, I expect similar.

By contrast, one of my wife's brothers lives in Surprise AZ and we've visited a couple times. I would NEVER live anywhere near such a hell hole. What is the joy in going from your air-conditioned house to the air-conditioned store in your air-conditioned car? Don't try to tell me it's "dry heat", that's BS. It's fucking HOT. And FLAT.

0 Not allowed!
    2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I think the Phoenix area is not the spot to retire to, but instead up in the hills in the Flagstaff area. Everyone tells me it's a world of different.

Although I think if I were bailing now it'd be to northern New Mexico.

I say this as someone who hasn't been to any of that area.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

My parents had a winter home in Surprise, AZ, when the purchased in the late 80s, the retirement park was 30-35 miles out into the desert beyond greater Pheonix, in 10 years time, development extended greater Phoenix 30 miles beyond where they lived..... waaaay to built up for me.

I have a friend that built a winter home in Morristown (about halfway between Phoenix and Wickenburg)

winter is nice, but you wouldn't catch me living there in the summer

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score

LOL...we visited Surprise AZ in December too. It got "down" to 65F at night and it was easy to tell who was from "up north" and who had been there a long time. The imports (us) were the ones in short sleeves, the long term residents were the ones bundled up in winter coats and fuzzy hats.

0 Not allowed!
    2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post

By contrast, one of my wife's brothers lives in Surprise AZ and we've visited a couple times. I would NEVER live anywhere near such a hell hole. What is the joy in going from your air-conditioned house to the air-conditioned store in your air-conditioned car? Don't try to tell me it's "dry heat", that's BS. It's fucking HOT. And FLAT.

AZ isn't all flat, it's a pretty varied state. I did laugh the first time I was there in August and the temp stayed above 100f all night. It IS a dry heat. Different but still hot as fuck. Living in the desert made me appreciate why there are camels in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think the Phoenix area is not the spot to retire to, but instead up in the hills in the Flagstaff area. Everyone tells me it's a world of different.

Although I think if I were bailing now it'd be to northern New Mexico.

I say this as someone who hasn't been to any of that area.
    AZ is basically 3 seperate zones. Low desert, high desert and a shocking amount of forest/mountains which makes an awesome playground biking and hiking. I went to school out there and it's the one place I've lived where I could see me living happily there again.

Phoenix is at 1500' or so and pointless to retire to if you like motorcycles, so isn't everything south. You climb rapidly, like 25mph on the interstate for semi trucks, out of the valley into epic motorcycle territory. I'd be dead if I had a motorcycle in college; no question. Prescott is at 5000' and has an overall temperature range very similar to us, just slightly warmer overall. Flagstaff itself is at 7000' and has peaks up to 12,000' and is basically the same temp range as us. You can expect a bunch of single digit lows in winter with a little snow and a few days in summer in the 80's with the odd 90 thrown in. Sedona is the all around sweet spot for temp and access to the cool stuff at 3500' but you also pay dearly in comparison for stuff there because of that.

As far as New Mexico goes, I think I'd like Santa Fe area based on the little time I've been there for much of the same reasons I liked northern arizona. Albuqurque, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    My parents had a winter home in Surprise, AZ, when the purchased in the late 80s, the retirement park was 30-35 miles out into the desert beyond greater Pheonix, in 10 years time, development extended greater Phoenix 30 miles beyond where they lived..... waaaay to built up for me.

I have a friend that built a winter home in Morristown (about halfway between Phoenix and Wickenburg)

winter is nice, but you wouldn't catch me living there in the summer
    The growth out there has been insane! Definitely need to head for the hills to be happy in my eyes.

2 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast