Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Places to live down south

Re: Places to live down south

Clay what is the top reason you d wanna move and the top reason that would keep you here?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Top reason to leave: Weather

Top reason to stay: Family and being nearly debt free. Two days after posting this thread up my parents surprised us with a "hey, we just put an offer in on a house 1.2 miles from you on a quiet pond, and they accepted it". Combine that with having absolutely ZERO debt 4 years from now provided everything keeps going to plan. Might be a bit harder to move away after that. Though my folks have expressed a similar desire to follow us down south if we decide to go. Both retired and after my grandmother passes (90 next week), they have nothing keeping them here and would like to try living elsewhere.

In the very least, I'd like to look for a retirement place down south that I can pick up sooner than later. I just hate the winter. I want an in ground pool, a nice big garage NOT filled with snow removal equipment, and a decent town nearby to go out to dinner in.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 04-24-17 at 08:29 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

they have weather down south as well, actually more, just not so white

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    they have weather down south as well, actually more, just not so white

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

My $0.02? You have it made in the shade, or damned close to it. Careful that the grass on the other side of that fence really is as green as you think it is.

Debt free in ~4 years? Fairly solid employment opts? Family and friends nearby? Support from the same? Rural lifestyle that seems to fit you? Plenty of places to play with motorbikes?

What's the fucking problem here? Trade all that for not having to sit on your already-paid-for tractor and throw snow? Trade for some better take-out thai?

No. Fuck that. You got it made.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

And there we have it. Eventually this thread was destined to boil down to a front wheel drive sedan with snow tires.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Maybe it's a minor point, maybe not, but personally, the times I've been in places where I wasn't truly welcome as a white dude from Massachusetts, it turned out to be more unpleasant than bad weather. I'd factor it higher on my pro/con chart. I never suffered any physical or financial threat from it, just wouldn't wanna live with an underlying feeling of being an outsider, being not truly welcome, every day for the rest of my life. Not like you can't find friends, but I'm talking about daily, necessary interactions with locals...especially cops, contractors, people working at the store, or the dmv, or restaurants. Everywhere around you that you interact with as strangers, where it'd be better if they didn't start off with thinking "look at this walking example of people moving into my home territory and acting like they deserve my help"...especially if my actions have next to nothing to do with it, because a few thousand people who talk like me already set the tone.

In other words, out of this whole thread, to me the most important phrase was that one about Cary being a containment area for Yankees, and not really in a joking way. F that shit for the rest of my life, being an outsider as soon as I speak because I don't have a drawl and I'm clearly not truly a local...

This isn't a gripe about southerners, either; it exists with the whole "if your granddaddy wasn't a Mainer, you aren't a Mainer" deal in Maine, or with Massholes in NH, or haoles in Hawaii, or gringos in Costa Rica, etc etc.

To be clear: I'm not saying I wouldn't personally move down South...I'd actually consider it. But I'd definitely factor in the "how welcome will I be" into my choice of locations. For somewhere like Hawaii, I wouldn't even bother because of it

Southerners are exceptionally welcoming people, they just have an exceptionally low tolerance for rudeness. When dealing with strangers it is very important that you are polite and courteous. I realize that isn't how people are up here, and that's fine, but if you go down there it is expected of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Southerners are exceptionally welcoming people, they just have an exceptionally low tolerance for rudeness. When dealing with strangers it is very important that you are polite and courteous. I realize that isn't how people are up here, and that's fine, but if you go down there it is expected of you.
    Interesting perspective, but you're from the south. I've found that southerners are typically very nice to your face, even if they don't like you. I don't find that very genuine.

Up north, people seem to have no problem telling you off if they don't like you. Southern people might find that rude, but I appreciate knowing where I stand even if I don't like it.

I can certainly see how a southerner would expect people to be courteous and polite regardless . When in Rome and all that.....it's just not my thing.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'm very courteous and respectful to people in public. A little too much so, IMO. It's quite the stark contrast to my online persona. Lol.

Finances aren't everything. Sitting inside staring out into the cold 6 months out of the year is not my idea of living. Took up skiing, which helped, but still not happy with it. Trying to live elsewhere in this great country of ours is something I'd like to try.

Also having a kid means wanting what's best for the little genetic abomination. Where we are means zero neighborhood. No riding bikes to the neighbors to hang with friends. No neighborhood BBQ's. I grew up having that and it was such a big part of being a happy kid.

Most people near us are old/retired. The few neighbors that aren't are insane. Like, wtf insane. As in, walking on the road with the dog, they are walking the other way, you say "Hello, nice day, isn't it?" and they don't even look up at you or respond. Well, that's what you get when you have "only" lived in town for 10 years. You are an outsider. Doesn't matter if your wife teaches all their kids. Still not one of us. Oh, and you have some fancy "full time" job. Not one of us. Make over $30k household income a year? Not one of us. Don't run a bare minimum to meet the legal definition of a farm to get out of paying taxes in town? Not one of us. Didn't move to town in the 60's as part of a commune? Not one of us. Have a college education that isn't in horticultural illustration or some other useless liberal arts degree? Not one of us. Plowed out the elderly neighbor we (the big wigs in town) don't like to help him out one bad storm? Not one of us.

Last edited by TheIglu; 04-24-17 at 10:01 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Interesting perspective, but you're from the south. I've found that southerners are typically very nice to your face, even if they don't like you. I don't find that very genuine.

Up north, people seem to have no problem telling you off if they don't like you. Southern people might find that rude, but I appreciate knowing where I stand even if I don't like it.

I can certainly see how a southerner would expect people to be courteous and polite regardless . When in Rome and all that.....it's just not my thing.
    Always telling it like it is isn't necessarily a redeeming quality. Sometimes it just makes you an asshole. Take that sort of attitude towards a Southerner outside of a professional situation and you may find yourself with a sore jaw. On the upside, most of us will buy you a beer after.

Always telling it like it is isn't necessarily a redeeming quality. Sometimes it just makes you an asshole. Take that sort of attitude towards a Southerner outside of a professional situation and you may find yourself with a sore jaw. On the upside, most of us will buy you a beer after.
    Sometimes I am an asshole but at least I'll own it

I've spent a lot of timein the south when I was flying. I can integrate just fine when I want to and have no problem be nice to people when they they're nice to me. I'll can also be a prick if people want to go there too. I just don't like the friend to your face/stab you in the back mentality that seems prevalent there.

That said, I could still see living in the right area there. I'd personally gravitate more towards SC or GA as a better fit for me instead of NC at this point but can see why NC is a better option for some.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Sometimes I am an asshole but at least I'll own it
    I'm sure you can appreciate the irony of you telling a Southerner he won't own it while he's sitting here owning it. The problem with most Northerners is they don't understand that they've crossed a line. It's the typical pushy, know-it-all attitude that gets you into trouble. I would recommend that you skip NC, SC, and GA all together and just head on down to Florida when you're ready.

I'm sure you can appreciate the irony of you telling a Southerner he won't own it while he's sitting here owning it. The problem with most Northerners is they don't understand that they've crossed a line. It's the typical pushy, know-it-all attitude that gets you into trouble. I would recommend that you skip NC, SC, and GA all together and just head on down to Florida when you're ready.
    It was a general statement. There's always exceptions.

I'd never move to FL. Too many other places is rather live instead of that shithole.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Raleigh / Durham area FTW. An hour from VIR, or the mountains, or the coast and some epic riding on roads that aren't torn up to shit.

Oh yeah, an hour from VIR.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Finances aren't everything. Sitting inside staring out into the cold 6 months out of the year is not my idea of living. Took up skiing, which helped, but still not happy with it. Trying to live elsewhere in this great country of ours is something I'd like to try.
    One of my colleagues is from Boston and moved to Raleigh for several years. I said the weather must have been paradise compared to Boston, and his answer surprised me. It went something like this: "It sounds great, but it isn't. Most of winter is too cold to stand around outside or do regular activities, but not cold enough for real snow activities like skiing. The first part and last part of summer is nice, but the rest of it is too hot to do stuff outside. So overall, you get as much nice weather as you do in Boston, just at different times"

Not saying it's right, but it was an interesting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Raleigh / Durham area FTW. An hour from VIR, or the mountains, or the coast and some epic riding on roads that aren't torn up to shit.

Oh yeah, an hour from VIR.
    ...and Eastern North Carolina BBQ.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Did I mention you're an hour from the best race track in the country?

CCS/LRRS #83

Just got back from a couple weeks in SC. The majority of people I interacted with were very pleasant. As usual.

I drove down and back, which I swore I wouldn't do again and I noticed the same thing I always do. You cross the state line from NC into VA and you start to see how much more aggressive and shitty people drive. It only gets worse as you continue north. Fuck everything and everyone from VA to NY, especially NJ. Sorry.

I am really looking forward to my retirement in the Carolina's.

Also, for what its worth if you think the entire south is a cliquey, 'don't like you cause you aint from here' type thing it's no different than New England. Ever been to Atlanta? No one in Atlanta is FROM Atlanta. I have lived in my town here in Podunk Maine for 15 years and I can tell you it is some serious small town snobbery and bullshit. I don't even try anymore.

Did I mention you're an hour from the best race track in the country?
    Cota is only an hour away?

But yeah, I dont miss snow. I miss my family and friends, but even that is not enough to make me come back.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Yeah sorry, COTA while I would love to ride there, has nothing on VIR. Computer-designed track that looks absolutely terrible for anything shy of a liter bike.

CCS/LRRS #83

Yeah sorry, COTA while I would love to ride there, has nothing on VIR. Computer-designed track that looks absolutely terrible for anything shy of a liter bike.
    Agreed. I haven't ever been to COTA, but VIR is certainly beyond epic and positively unreal at night. I don't see how COTA could compare, plus you're basically in moonshine country there

Last edited by e30addict; 04-24-17 at 11:40 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I drove down and back, which I swore I wouldn't do again and I noticed the same thing I always do. You cross the state line from NC into VA and you start to see how much more aggressive and shitty people drive. It only gets worse as you continue north. Fuck everything and everyone from VA to NY, especially NJ. Sorry.
    I can say exactly the same thing driving from rural Vermont, NH or ME south. What you're complaining about here is an urban vs rural thing, not a north vs south thing.

Plus the window to ride COTA has closed for me. Those bumps on 120+ mph corners? No thanks.

CCS/LRRS #83

I do appreciate the distance to some nice tracks, but to be honest, we have gained a lot in that area up here. I'm 1.5 hours to Loudon, 1 hour to Palmer, 1.5 hours to Thompson. Tamworth is looking gorgeous. That ain't bad. I'm sure they aren't VIR quality, but for me on my little SV, they do fine.

Of course, once I spawned, both riding roads and tracks have bumped down quite a few pegs on the importance level. I'm lucky if I get to ride to work 2 days a week. Weekends I'm dadding. I get my week at Deal's once a year and I'll be lucky to do a single trackday this year. Priorities change when you aren't the priority anymore, that's for sure.

I'd like to find a town near a big metropolitan area that isn't just urban sprawl. Places that have independent businesses, not just chains. Houses that don't stare into each others windows/back yards and aren't all the same. A sense of community. I don't mind being an outsider in a smaller town, provided that the town is worth it. My family has always been outsiders ever since they were kicked out of Canada.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Maybe it's a minor point, maybe not, but personally, the times I've been in places where I wasn't truly welcome as a white dude from Massachusetts, it turned out to be more unpleasant than bad weather.
    that'st easy to overcome, all he has to do is trade in that Taco for a red Ford truck, or blue Chevy, depending on what town he moves to

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast