Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Places to live down south

Re: Places to live down south

You kidding me? There are Tacoma's EVERYWHERE down there. Something about them not melting away like the Wicked Witch of the West.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I do appreciate the distance to some nice tracks, but to be honest, we have gained a lot in that area up here. I'm 1.5 hours to Loudon, 1 hour to Palmer, 1.5 hours to Thompson. Tamworth is looking gorgeous. That ain't bad. I'm sure they aren't VIR quality, but for me on my little SV, they do fine.
    You forgot Canaan and NYST.

I'd like to find a town near a big metropolitan area that isn't just urban sprawl. Places that have independent businesses, not just chains. Houses that don't stare into each others windows/back yards and aren't all the same. A sense of community. I don't mind being an outsider in a smaller town, provided that the town is worth it.
    In my area: Dover, Newmarket, Exeter. Possibly North Hampton. All fit these plus or minus. I believe parts of suburban Manch and Concord.. maybe even Nashua fit too. Maybe not. Pick up a 1960's era 1300 sqft cape with a single car on a 1/4 acre lot. Walk to down-town. Eat at the local hipster brewery/brick oven pizza joint. Take your kid to the 1-off children's museum over and over all winter. Half way from Boston elite education meca and god's country in the great white north. I do not believe you'd be an outsider there.

I agree about the winter in the south. It sucks. Not cold enough for winter fun, too cold for anything else. If you happen to live in an uninsulated house, whichis common, it can be less comfy than the north. BUT the spring in the south is incomparable. Much longer and more beautiful season than anything we have up here.

Also, COTA sucks. May be pretty painted esses and V corners are good for F1 parades, but for racing motorbikes, it is not the best. I think it is too long for good circuit racing. Qualifying was faaaarrrr better than the race. Motorbikes should be raced in more of a gladiator pit.

Paul_E_D

I lived in Fla for a while, which is really southern south geographically and northern south socio wise. You get used to the heat in the summer, winters start to feel cooler. Used to play golf on Christmas day and 4th of July. Can't do that here.
    SC, you can get some cold snaps which are pretty cold, but I think overall you can spend time outside through the winters and it isn't bad.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

You kidding me? There are Tacoma's EVERYWHERE down there. Something about them not melting away like the Wicked Witch of the West.
    ya, their prolly accepted now that Toyota competes in Nascar

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Even DC area is way better weather wise.

I don't mind winter, I mind that winter is 6 fuckin months long.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

DC area is a shithole. I spent a year in Reston, VA. Fuck that noise.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Oh, I agree. My sister lived on RI ave for a while. NOOOOO thanks. But, I'm just saying, even that far north, the weather is so much better than here.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Speaking of drivers up north, last week I had to drop my daughter off at Laguardia Airport on a weekday at 4AM. yes, this was AM, before the sunrise. I could not BELIEVE the way people were driving within 5 miles of that airport. I remember telling my daughter, "wtf! I might as well go back to something safer, like road racing motorcycles" and I was only half joking. Fricken a-holes weaving traffic goin 90 thru construction areas, forcin their way in to merges 3 at a time from both sides, etc etc.

It's as if they never went to kindergarten or something. ZERO courtesy or fucks given for the other guy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Clayton - I'm living in Greenville SC now, about an hourish South-East of Asheville. Love it here. Would suit exactly what you're looking for.

Youve all lost your damn mind.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Also, for what its worth if you think the entire south is a cliquey, 'don't like you cause you aint from here' type thing it's no different than New England. Ever been to Atlanta? No one in Atlanta is FROM Atlanta. I have lived in my town here in Podunk Maine for 15 years and I can tell you it is some serious small town snobbery and bullshit. I don't even try anymore.
    This is very true. I lived in Maine for ~7 years, and Maine could be extremely cliquey. Not just the "from away" stuff, but making friends in general seemed hard if you didn't go to kindergarten with that person.

Boston has been a lot different.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    This is very true. I lived in Maine for ~7 years, and Maine could be extremely cliquey. Not just the "from away" stuff, but making friends in general seemed hard if you didn't go to kindergarten with that person.

Boston has been a lot different.
    I would never belong to clique that would have me as a member.

Why not just move to another town in MA in a suburban neighborhood for the peanut's 'childhood experience'

Weather no biggie when you're at home with kid (and all your future kids?) most of the time anyways

Edit: I can guarantee 95% of people in this thread would hate Socal/LA...It is way too much of all the things ya'all hate LOL

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-25-17 at 04:40 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Good luck in decidign where to go.. unlike alot of people here I dont hink this area is the shit. WInter is too long ( and I love winter) The culture outside of New england is much nicer ( even in PA where i"m from wher people sy thank you and excuse me and that's in center city/north philly)
    Me and the missus are planning our exodus as well and SC near greenville is an area....

Even though people may be nice jsut to your face.. its better tahn around here where people barely talk to you.

hmmmm......

I moved here Eastern CT to start and ultimately close a business

Now wife "Will lose her fiends, boo hoo"

I think I would like eastern Tennessee, where taxes are like 1000 a year for everything

I am old so not worth the bother, maybe if still vital in 4 years when youngest is out of high school

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Why not just move to another town in MA in a suburban neighborhood for the peanut's 'childhood experience'
    Because suburban MA is fucking insano expensive, has massive congestion and traffic, is taxed to all hell, and still has the harsh winters.

Visiting with Boston area suburbanite friends of mine last weekend. They're looking at modest, 3/4 of a million dollar homes for their family of 3 (3 br, 2 bath, something with a yard) in the north shore area. Despite being within earshot of 128, they are still looking at ONE HOUR long commutes to the city for work. Just aren't that many upsides to that from where I sit. .. Oh, and they missed the window to get their kid into ($20k/yr!) pre-school because they didn't realize the INTERVIEW process started NINE MONTHS in advance! That's right, they interview 4 year olds to evaluate if they are right for their pre-schools. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Edit: I can guarantee 95% of people in this thread would hate Socal/LA...It is way too much of all the things ya'all hate LOL
    No argument. From my visits to CA I'd need to live in the hills, away from the cities.. where there are no jobs. Although PhilB's description of the CA DMV pretty much kills it for me. Can't handle that level of bureaucracy.

The one good thing about MA is school system for the spawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Screw living in eastern mass, for exactly the reasons listed (traffic, home prices, too many people)...but Western Mass (not just west of 128; west of I-91!) has reasonable real estate prices, plenty of space, large lots available, great on and off road motorcycle riding areas, good air quality with great hiking and fishing, and few traffic issues for the most part. Taxes I'd call reasonable for the quality of services provided (especially if your family will utilize the pretty good public schools). I really like that I can be in Hartford or Springfield in 30-40 minutes, or in NYC, Boston, the ocean in NH or RI, all within 2-3 hours, OR I can turn the other way out of my driveway and literally ride all day in the berkshires and upstate NY and Vermont with hardly a single traffic light. Meanwhile, I live on five acres that was reasonable to buy and I rarely hear a peep of sound that isn't nature. That's why I'm still in the same house I bought when I was 24 and hopefully I don't have to leave till the morgue picks me up some day.

The only gripe I have with living here is the flaming liberals out East controlling the state but it's not enough to make me move. I'm embarrassed to be lumped into a populace that re-installs people like Warren, Deleo, Rosenberg, and Healey...Perplexed by it, but that's another discussion. Judging by election results as broken down by district, people around here don't vote that way, and my local rep and local state senator have voted the way I would've on most issues I've noticed. Locals are friendly; I don't think there are any t shirts or bumper stickers or coffee shop sayings proclaiming western mass localism or anything.

As for winter, you'd have to suck that up. At least there aren't many floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or serious droughts. Nowhere has perfect weather, except maybe Hawaii, and even there I've heard people complain that they miss the seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Because suburban MA is fucking insano expensive, has massive congestion and traffic, is taxed to all hell, and still has the harsh winters.

Visiting with Boston area suburbanite friends of mine last weekend. They're looking at modest, 3/4 of a million dollar homes for their family of 3 (3 br, 2 bath, something with a yard) in the north shore area. Despite being within earshot of 128, they are still looking at ONE HOUR long commutes to the city for work.
    Bingo. And even in Western MA, I'd be looking at half a million for a house with the features mine has, slightly upgraded. Went through that search last summer when I was considering a job out there.

I don't want to start a fresh 30 year mortgage. No fuckin way.

Greenville SC looks nice..... prices are reasonable too. If things keep going the way they are, we'd be able to sell out place here and buy a modest home down there outright. Then I'd be able to call it a day and let the wife do her teacher gig 9 months a year to cover the bills.

Living like a brokedick is finally starting to look like it's paying off

Last edited by TheIglu; 04-26-17 at 08:12 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Bingo. And even in Western MA, I'd be looking at half a million for a house with the features mine has, slightly upgraded. Went through that search last summer when I was considering a job out there.

I don't want to start a fresh 30 year mortgage. No fuckin way.
    Where, in Longmeadow, or alongside a fairway at The Ranch?

Zillow says 350,000 for my place in Southwick with 5 acres, 2500SF, and a three car garage, and I suspect that might be a tad high. Taxes are just under 6000 a year. Highway robbery compared to Tennessee, outright bargain compared to a few miles away in CT.

I've spent some time around Greenville, in Traveler's Rest, SC, because my grandparents lived there for many years. Learned how to drive a three on the tree standard at age 13 in an old pickup truck covered with red clay there. Gramps was a prof at Furman for a while. Nice people down there, but again I doubt I'd really ever be welcome to live there because of my dialect. Shit, they were busting my balls about being a Yankee when I was 10, accompanying my southern gentleman grampa...

Deerfield/Hatfield/Amherst general area.

House prices are stupid high. Maybe I'm just a cheap ass.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

hopefully you are correct and my house is worth more than I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Zillow says 350,000 for my place in Southwick with 5 acres, 2500SF, and a three car garage, and I suspect that might be a tad high. Taxes are just under 6000 a year. Highway robbery compared to Tennessee, outright bargain compared to a few miles away in CT.
    That is more or less exactly in-line with the stuff I've been looking at in my area, down to the annual tax.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast