Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Places to live down south

Re: Places to live down south

Eastern ma is nuts, but man when I grew up in central MA, I thought everything west was cheap and hick lol

Man has it changed...My parents are trying to get me to move back...Hell naw...Next place I look to move is a retirement place with good weather...By then I won't give a F or have enough good body joints to dirt ride so non-cali is fine

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $15 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41

instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Greenville SC looks nice..... prices are reasonable too. If things keep going the way they are, we'd be able to sell out place here and buy a modest home down there outright. Then I'd be able to call it a day and let the wife do her teacher gig 9 months a year to cover the bills.

Living like a brokedick is finally starting to look like it's paying off
    You're correct. Given that you prefer to be more rural - you can get quite a bit of house for short money. If you want to live close close (within 5-10 mins) of downtown the prices are higher. My wife and I are about 10 minutes out, but we prefer the suburban/cityish life so we don't mind paying the slightly higher prices.

If you decide to check it out shoot me a message, would be happy to show you around. We love it down here, don't think we will ever go back North.

And no thanks on Cali - too many rules. Nice thing about the Carolinas; you can pretty much drive whatever you want, buy whatever you want, and carry whatever you want. It's refreshing coming from MA.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    You're correct. Given that you prefer to be more rural - you can get quite a bit of house for short money. If you want to live close close (within 5-10 mins) of downtown the prices are higher. My wife and I are about 10 minutes out, but we prefer the suburban/cityish life so we don't mind paying the slightly higher prices.

If you decide to check it out shoot me a message, would be happy to show you around. We love it down here, don't think we will ever go back North.

And no thanks on Cali - too many rules. Nice thing about the Carolinas; you can pretty much drive whatever you want, buy whatever you want, and carry whatever you want. It's refreshing coming from MA.
    I agree, don't think I'll ever move back north. Asheville is a really nice place. I'll probably end up moving a little ways out of the city, depending on job situation, but Western NC or the Greenville/Traveler's Rest Area of SC is where I think I'm going to stay for quite a while.

And as for being an "outsider" because I'm not from around here - I don't really see it. I meet a lot of people that are not from this area that now live here. And I've met a lot of born-and-raised southerners. And they've bought cars from me knowing full well I was a New Englander.

1 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    And they've bought cars from me knowing full well I was a New Englander.
    Is that a reference to the salt encrusted rust-fest our cars become, or to your charming personality?!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

FWD with snow tire equipped cars.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Is that a reference to the salt encrusted rust-fest our cars become, or to your charming personality?!
    More a comment to their tolerance of Yankees. They really are terrified of cars from up north and the salt they're exposed to. I'm a salesman at a Nissan dealership, so I'm not selling them my personal cars from up north (although both my truck and my wife's Grand Cherokee were traded in and sold at our dealership).

It's amazing to see cars down here that are 20 years old and barely have any rust on them.

2 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Charleston, SC is very nice. Not sure about the job market there.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

They really are terrified of cars from up north and the salt they're exposed to.
    I cannot blame them.

0 Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

It's amazing to see cars down here that are 20 years old and barely have any rust on them.
    I bought a loaded and well-maintained 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 with 125k for my wife last year in Hilton Head for cheap money and had it shipped to my house. It looked BRAND NEW underneath, no lie. All the fasteners were still shiny and fresh. First thing I did was hit it with Fluid Film.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

My parents live in that region. They have a 2011 Tundra with 14x,xxx miles on it. Looks new underneath and body panels and kept in a garage so the interior looks good as well. I'm lining that one up for my son when he turns 16.

They lived in Charleston for a stint. Seems the job opportunities there center around military/.gov. Great city, but one of the more expensive southern cities to live in.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

did the idea kinda die or you making moves?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Because suburban MA is fucking insano expensive, has massive congestion and traffic, is taxed to all hell, and still has the harsh winters.

Visiting with Boston area suburbanite friends of mine last weekend. They're looking at modest, 3/4 of a million dollar homes for their family of 3 (3 br, 2 bath, something with a yard) in the north shore area. Despite being within earshot of 128, they are still looking at ONE HOUR long commutes to the city for work. Just aren't that many upsides to that from where I sit. .. Oh, and they missed the window to get their kid into ($20k/yr!) pre-school because they didn't realize the INTERVIEW process started NINE MONTHS in advance! That's right, they interview 4 year olds to evaluate if they are right for their pre-schools. WTF.
    If it's ONE HOUR from 128, what is it from SNH? Because commuting N on 93, traffic would often be stop and go from Exit 2, and there would also be a backup in Manchester at the 293 merge. So must be two-ish? For some reason some guys are more honest about the size of their dicks than their commute times.

$20K is mid-range for a private Pre-K, btw, about $110 per day. The cheapest are $11,000 and most expensive one I'm aware of is $33,000 pre-tax dollars.

Pre-K in Boston: free.

Where We Came From and Where We Went, State by State - The New York Times

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-28-17 at 07:38 AM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    $20K is mid-range for a private Pre-K, btw, about $110 per day. The cheapest are $11,000 and most expensive one I'm aware of is $33,000 pre-tax dollars.

Pre-K in Boston: free.
    Is this free pre-k head-start? Would you, ever in a zillion years actually send your own kids to this? Or would you be digging in to find that $33k/yr?

Out this way the current estimate for premo private pre-k is $13k/yr in the greater Manchester NH area. Public pre-school costs $85/mo if summer-time and full-day child-care is not a concern.
    I have current numbers on this.

You completely lost me on the commute time / dick size comparo or your link. I think you're trying to say that more and more people are leaving MA for NH and fewer are leaving NH for MA. My response to that is pretty simple; no shit sherlock. Given the anecdotal data I've seen on cost of living in Boston I am exactly zero surprised.

My point about my story is that my bud is looking at homes on the order of 2-3x the cost of mine, spending on the order of 2-3x as much for childcare and still has a 60 min ea/way commute. That's rough.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

My wife taught at Head Start, experience ranged from helping good kids get a start at learning skills to free baby sitting for welfare crackheads. Some of those kids are now hanging out on street corners but they are inevitably polite to her, so it makes some difference.

Most Boston Public Schools now have free PreSchool. The quality of the programs is highly variable, from poor to great. We had our three kids at various times attend expensive private pre-K, a low cost, volunteer-parent supported Pre-K, and BPS Pre-K, and what they learn with the country club set isn't always valuable, nor that learned from Dot Rats.

A friend of mine summed it up best: "Ever hear anyone attribute their success in life to what they learned in Pre School?" But with parents worried about their kids "getting ahead" it can become an obsesssion.

Not sure how this helps with the OP's choices for Southern Living. A university town is usually a good place to start.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-28-17 at 09:37 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Is this free pre-k head-start? Would you, ever in a zillion years actually send your own kids to this? Or would you be digging in to find that $33k/yr?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My wife taught at Head Start, experience ranged from helping good kids get a start at learning skills to free baby sitting for welfare crackheads.

We had our three kids at various times attend expensive private pre-K, a low cost, volunteer-parent supported Pre-K, and BPS Pre-K...
    So the answer is no, you would not utilize this "free" pre-k you were just bragging about. Glad we could clear that up.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Out this way the current estimate for premo private pre-k is $13k/yr in the greater Manchester NH area. Public pre-school costs $85/mo if summer-time and full-day child-care is not a concern.
    I have current numbers on this.

Uh-oh, Baby Bubbas on the way?

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Uh-oh, Baby Bubbas on the way?
    Great. Children born with feet genetically predisposed to fit perfectly into dad shoes. My money is their first word is "DRZ."

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    .....My money is their first word is "DRZ."
    That's just gas....

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

So the answer is no, you would not utilize this "free" pre-k you were just bragging about. Glad we could clear that up.
    Head Start is a different program. There are a number of locations. The one my wife taught at (a requirement for her teaching certification) was on Marota Way, near a South Boston housing project, since torn down. ABCD | South Boston Head Start

To clarify for the IW's, two of my kids attended the free Pre K and the school did a good job. That school has a playground and is right across the street from the beach. My daughter is still going to school with some of those kids 10 years later.

Very few cities and towns have free pre-K so it would not be an option for most but it saved us a bunch of money. It is IMO nothing like necessary and kids are just fine rolling into Kindergarten without it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-29-17 at 09:33 AM.

iTrader Score

Look up jobs near a zip code

get jobs , live near job

rent for a year or two to get the lay of the land

I would thi nk along the ridge so knoxville, tn or Chatanooga maybe even Kentucky unless you love the beach

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Look up jobs near a zip code

get jobs , live near job

rent for a year or two to get the lay of the land

I would thi nk along the ridge so knoxville, tn or Chatanooga maybe even Kentucky unless you love the beach
    Kentucky is pretty cool, but I wonder how much lower the wages are, even accounting for the (much) lower cost of living out there..?

0 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score

I've found that the wages are dependent on the career. They are obviously going to be a little lower, but they aren't substantially lower considering the lower cost of living. If you work a city or state job, the wages are a bit lower. If you have a techy job, they are pretty similar due to demand. I'd move back down south in a heart beat but my career isn't conducive to the area.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Kentucky is pretty cool, but I wonder how much lower the wages are, even accounting for the (much) lower cost of living out there..?
    Salary.com has a calculator that purports to adjust salaries by location.

I liked the Louisville area, and Lexington is also nice. Details on jobs and schools would vary a lot by particular town.

These Are The 10 Absolute Best Places To Live In Kentucky - HomeSnacks

An Army buddy lives in KY but works in Cincinnati. Not sure how that works tax-wise.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-30-17 at 10:15 AM.

iTrader Score

KY is the most gun friendly state in the region

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score

I make more here in Greenville than I ever did up North, but I did get promoted coming down here.

0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345