Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where to live, Vermont/NH

Where to live, Vermont/NH

So I grew up in Stoughton MA, left for college and since 2009 have been living in San Francisco. While the riding and moto culture here in norcal is great, the rest of cali's weird bullshit is outweighing the greats. I think I'd like to move back to the north east. Been thinking of Vermont or NH. Being around so many people everyday has put me off moving to another large city, looking for a little more peace and quiet.

I know nothing about Vermont or NH other than what I have seen on ski trips or driving through. I will still be working. My trade (elevator constructor) has a local that covers nh, vermont, and western ma. So I would assume I'd have to be able to be somewhat central to all that. But nothing work related has been talked about yet.

In a perfect situation where would you move? Id love to be able to have some land (acres) and will have probably 2 kids. Have one due in june this year so a good place to raise kids would be a plus. Just looking to be in a quiet spot with access to riding and nature.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tuono

Re: Where to live, Vermont/NH

Most of the outlying towns near Manchester and Concord NH have what you're looking for.

I moved just east of Concord and dont regret it one bit. Sure, it's somewhat off the beaten path, which presents its own challenges, but I am surrounded by forest and have numerous trails to enjoy at my leisure.

Not sure about specific areas in VT.

This thread made me look for a job in East Tennessee....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I grew up in Vermont and moved to New Hampshire about 40 years ago, and because I have family in VT, I still visit there a lot.

Vermont is a much more liberal state, (how many times have they reelected Bernie Sanders to higher and higher office) and has both state income and sales tax, NH has neither. They say that Property taxes are higher in NH, but when comparing to Vermont, you can't say that, ypou have to compare on a town by town basis, my property tax rate is lower where I live than where my dad and brother live in Vermont, but the town my brother has his camp in has a lower rate than mine

Vermont has more better twisties and more gravel, and is more motorcycle friendly imho, like lane splitting in CA, passing on double yellow is legal in VT, but depends how you look at it, NH is a freedom of choice state when you consider helmets, seatbelts and insurance, but Vermont lets you conceal carry without a permit, although that may change soon in NH and getting a permit is easy, NH is a must issue state and if you pass a background check to buy a gun, you qualify to get a permit.

Vermont is generally less densely populated but is more uniform in population density than NH, half of Vermont's population lives within 15 miles of Burlington, in NH, 3/4s live south of an imaginary line stretching from Rochester thru Concord to Keene

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Have you looked into ny? I was in a similiar situation to you last year and ended up buying in ny. Taxes can be high but it was the best bang for the buck otherwise. Great roads, great trails and easy access to major highways leading all over. I bought 100acres just sw of albany and it was pennies on the dollar. Ican be in boston in about 2.5 hours, nyc in 2 hours, hartford in 2 hours and burlington vt in about an hour(maybe, only looked at the possibility.)

Machias Maine.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    LRRS #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

If a problem for you is
    Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    ... the rest of cali's weird bullshit is outweighing the greats. ...
    I definitely suggest NH. VT has some of the same weird bullshit, MA and CT and RI have a bigger dose of it, and NY is as bad as CA. NH has less of that, and we're working to reduce even that much.

All of it is nice countryside, with plenty of rural areas. All of it has seasons to deal with. My wife and I moved from San Diego to NH 5 years ago, precisely to escape all of CA's weird bullshit, and are very happy we did. With heated gloves, I get 8 or 9 months of riding season. While that's not 12 months a year, it's not bad.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-28-17 at 06:28 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

NY and VT have very limited legal off road riding, if that is important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

I find upstate ny to have tons of legal riding places. way more so than central ma I've found, especially in the winter. You just need to register your vehicle. Lots of places let you ride on public roads as long as your between trails as well.

If you are having kids, you may find that proximity to family/conveniences/neighborhood for kids to make friends in is far more important than quiet, riding roads and trails.

Plan where you live on your daily needs, not your weekend wants.

-Someone with a 1 year old who has to drive 30 minutes to do ANYTHING, shopping, gas, daycare, etc

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Thanks for all the responses. To clarify, we are definitely looking for towns that are more "kid friendly" in addition to all the stuff we like to do. We have most of our family still in the burbs about 30 minutes south of boston so we will be closer to them by a lot compared to where we are now.

I never looked into ny as the local for their area does some weird stuff with work, so I don't think I want to work there. At the moment, NH is looking pretty attractive, but again, I havent finalized anything with work so im really just getting an idea of places to look at.

Riding dirt isn't a huge deal, I'd love to do it again, but im usually a track guy anyway. Seeing what I've seen in Cali, would love to raise my kids away from all the crazy hoopla haha.

Tuono

If your family is south of Boston, have a look in my neck of the woods. I'm in Rehoboth, MA; 20 minutes into downtown Providence and an hour to Boston and we're in the "country." There's lots of towns in the area that provide a similar experience with good location; Dighton, Assonnet, Norwood, Bellingham, Attleboro, etc. Very nice area, roads are generally in great shape, multiple legal state parks for dirt riding in the area.

I have a buddy who is an Otis guy with the elevator constructors union who lives nearby.

Last edited by loudbeard; 01-29-17 at 12:08 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

usually a track guy anyway
    Loudon, NH is perfect for ya, rural, but 5-15 minutes from box stores in Concord, tax rate is not the lowest in the state, but is below the median, convenient to highway, lakes region and right at the edge of low traffic street riding, there are always ways out to get places without encountering traffic

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    If CA is a problem for you I definitely suggest NH. VT has some of the same weird bullshit
    Can you expound? Curious to understand how my state is viewed from the outside.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

There are no multi floor buildings in northern New England

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Yous guys have that damned authoritarian edjumacation

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Overall Freedom | Cato Institute

An admittedly libertarian view of the states.

Well, about $1500 per person per year more in average taxes is a start.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Well, about $1500 per person per year more in average taxes is a start.

PhilB
    Go on, I expected pages of things I didn't even know about, or accept as normal without considering how other states do it. Is that mostly sales, or an amalgam of property, income and sales? Genuinely interested to learn, not arguing. I imagine revenues in NH are down last year, since I didn't race at Loudon...

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Thanks for all the responses. To clarify, we are definitely looking for towns that are more "kid friendly" in addition to all the stuff we like to do. We have most of our family still in the burbs about 30 minutes south of boston so we will be closer to them by a lot compared to where we are now.

I never looked into ny as the local for their area does some weird stuff with work, so I don't think I want to work there. At the moment, NH is looking pretty attractive, but again, I havent finalized anything with work so im really just getting an idea of places to look at. .
    Find the right job with the right company, first, then explore areas within a reasonable commute. If you're not happy, or wasted from a grueling commute, no one benefits.

It can be quite difficult to judge school districts, especially across state lines. For example, some towns in SNH don't have kindergarten, some have their own elementary but feed a regional high school, and some have their own system through HS.

You can always move once your kids reach school age. If your wife is going to be home with the kids, you'll want a support network of other young families and/or relatives.

We've raised our kids in Boston and if we had to do it over, we'd do it again. But that doesn't work for everyone and an inbound Boston commute can be miserable. Don't be miserable.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

It's one of the most expensive, anti-business states in New England, and they're more worried about passing anti-GMO and mandatory composting laws and harassing businesses with those green laws than they are trying to get work for the younger generation. It's no wonder Vermont's biggest demographic is aging baby boomers.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

If you have job ops in NH, western MA and VT, I have to bet that south western NH would be a reasonable center for that. Nashua and Manchester are the urban centers of NH. Some wealth (and expensive properties) straddling the Merrimack and Everett/I93. Lots of the "Massachusetts mentality" in the border towns and major commuter routes (all N-S running in NH), especially in the eastern parts of the state; Salem, Atkinson, Derry, Nashua, etc. I am born and raised in the greater seacoast area. Portsmouth has gotten out of control cost of living wise; infected with hipsterism and quite frankly too cool for its own good anymore. Smaller seacoast cities like Dover are still approachable. But this area is probably outside the center of your work realm. I know the portion of the state from Everett Turnpike to the coast and would describe it in three bands. South of NH-101 is costly and very built up. Lots of folks commute to Boston metro area. North of NH-101 and south of NH-4 is much more of a mix; some really rural spots but still generous services and such. North of NH-4 gets rural fast; much lower costs and much more freedom, tougher commute and arguably fewer/worse public services.

Life gets pretty rural pretty fast once you go past Hollis, Goffstown, or Concord NH. Cost of living is reasonable. Some communities seem to be full of independently wealthy types that can be pretty liberal. IMO this attitude can make for higher property tax rates. At the same time they seem to be into protecting their way of life. NH-101 is a super-highway east of Manchester, but turns into a cow-path west of Bedford. I'm told this is because residents of Peterborough and Jaffrey come out in droves to oppose any improvements whenever the state moves to do so. They don't want the traffic and I can't blame them. The counter to that is getting around can be difficult. It can take the same amount of time to get from Hampton to Manchester as it takes to get from Manchester to Milford. If you commute for a living, this may suck.

I commute to Andover MA daily. Were I to do it over again right now I'd be looking at Candia, Deerfield, or maybe Auburn NH.

Plenty of NH class 6 (unmaintained) dirt roads in western NH. Also several of the (very few) state lands open to OHV use are there. There is virtually no legal OHV space in south-eastern NH.

Paved tracks located in Loudon, Canaan and now Tamworth NH. Also Palmer MA, within range of south-western NH. Maybe Thompson CT too. There is road-racing at Loudon and Canaan. The others are track-day facilities.

Gobs and gobs of good street riding in western NH. Really, anything north of NH-101 is solid street riding.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Overall Freedom | Cato Institute

An admittedly libertarian view of the states.
    Not surprised to see these states on the bottom of the list:
    44.Illinois+1
    45.Connecticut-1
    46.Maryland=
    47.New Jersey=
    48.Hawaii=
    49.California=
    50.New York=

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    If you have job ops in NH, western MA and VT, I have to bet that south western NH would be a reasonable center for that. Nashua and Manchester are the urban centers of NH. Some wealth (and expensive properties) straddling the Merrimack and Everett/I93. Lots of the "Massachusetts mentality" in the border towns and major commuter routes (all N-S running in NH), especially in the eastern parts of the state; Salem, Atkinson, Derry, Nashua, etc. I am born and raised in the greater seacoast area. Portsmouth has gotten out of control cost of living wise; infected with hipsterism and quite frankly too cool for its own good anymore. Smaller seacoast cities like Dover are still approachable. But this area is probably outside the center of your work realm. I know the portion of the state from Everett Turnpike to the coast and would describe it in three bands. South of NH-101 is costly and very built up. Lots of folks commute to Boston metro area. North of NH-101 and south of NH-4 is much more of a mix; some really rural spots but still generous services and such. North of NH-4 gets rural fast; much lower costs and much more freedom, tougher commute and arguably fewer/worse public services.
    57% of NH residents are "from away." Roughly 25% of residents (in other words less than half the fur renders) were born in MA.

Anyone who assumes that MA residents that move to NH are all Liberals and the southern tier is likewise is counter to how they vote: the southern counties are more likely to vote R than most other regions.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Life gets pretty rural pretty fast once you go past Hollis, Goffstown, or Concord NH. Cost of living is reasonable. Some communities seem to be full of independently wealthy types that can be pretty liberal. IMO this attitude can make for higher property tax rates. At the same time they seem to be into protecting their way of life. NH-101 is a super-highway east of Manchester, but turns into a cow-path west of Bedford. I'm told this is because residents of Peterborough and Jaffrey come out in droves to oppose any improvements whenever the state moves to do so. They don't want the traffic and I can't blame them. The counter to that is getting around can be difficult. It can take the same amount of time to get from Hampton to Manchester as it takes to get from Manchester to Milford. If you commute for a living, this may suck.

I commute to Andover MA daily. Were I to do it over again right now I'd be looking at Candia, Deerfield, or maybe Auburn NH.

Plenty of NH class 6 (unmaintained) dirt roads in western NH. Also several of the (very few) state lands open to OHV use are there. There is virtually no legal OHV space in south-eastern NH.

Paved tracks located in Loudon, Canaan and now Tamworth NH. Also Palmer MA, within range of south-western NH. Maybe Thompson CT too. There is road-racing at Loudon and Canaan. The others are track-day facilities.

Gobs and gobs of good street riding in western NH. Really, anything north of NH-101 is solid street riding.
    I've lived in NH my entire life and the above is dead on. The nice part about Southern NH is that you are in the center of it all. Close to Boston, yet just as close (if not closer) to some extremely rural areas as well. The only challenge is just as NHBubba mentions above...Avoiding those town which have began to adopt the MA mentality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast