Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Where to live, Vermont/NH

Re: Where to live, Vermont/NH

I hear ya on the CA bs line...

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck with your move!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Lifer

Possible positive of the encroaching Boston-metro area, and the 'Massachusetts' mentality is that it seems to drive property prices up. If that could be beneficial to you, then pick something just on the edge of that metro line.

If you want to maintain access to any metro areas, the further out you go the more you have to pay attention to your access to highways. Given your region, somewhere off Rt2 in MA in the western-central part of the state seems ideal. The catch is many of those towns aren't exactly prospering.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Given your region, somewhere off Rt2 in MA in the western-central part of the state seems ideal. The catch is many of those towns aren't exactly prospering.
    I'm from this area you mention.

I wouldn't recommend it.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm from this area you mention.

I wouldn't recommend it.
    Sours peoples attitudes.

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

One of the sales guys I work with is moving to the Woodstock VT area and commuting to accounts into the Boston area. It's over a 2 hour one way commute without traffic. You can probably get away with a day working from home during the week but most of the time its behind a windshield and at least 2 hours to get to any client. It's quite an undertaking but he has a family and would rather sacrifice hours out of his life for his kids to be in school next to the mountains.

I live 40 miles from Boston in Sutton. It's quiet enough for me and the back roads to Vanilla Bean start outside my door.

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Overall Freedom | Cato Institute

An admittedly libertarian view of the states.
    Quite sad to see Vermont, CT, Maine, RI, NY, and NJ ALL in the bottom 10 states in the USA on this list, with MA not far behind. I'm fricken surrounded. I wonder what correlation there is, if any, to quantity of people or businesses moving into/out of those states, vs. the same for the states ranking high in overall freedom...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 01-30-17 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Sours peoples attitudes.
    Sorry for my 36 years of experience.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I don't understand what you mean and probably don't want to.

There are some interesting points in here that i will do more reading on. Its funny though to get peoples perspectives on where to live, since everyones different. My aunt lives in Harvard MA, its pretty up there, but theres literally nothing in that town. I will have to look into your suggestions on "country" towns that are on the outskirts of the metro areas. Seems like an odd concept, towns like that don't exist in the SF bay area.

As far as work goes. I have the options of getting on with the local that covers Boston or the local that covers VT,NH, and Western MA. I work in downtown SF now, not sure what kind of work VT,NH, and Western MA but I dont think any of those towns would have buildings taller than 10 stories. Im assuming there are a lot of smaller 1-5 story type buildings, which im am totally fine with. Might be nice working outside of a big city.

Tuono

If you are building elevators, covering those outlying areas might result in a lot of driving because of the low density, whereas, ironically, the amount of construction in metro Boston would result in fairly predictable travel. Interesting dilemma.

We wanted to stay near the ocean so Boston was a fantastic choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I've lived in NH my entire life and the above is dead on. The nice part about Southern NH is that you are in the center of it all. Close to Boston, yet just as close (if not closer) to some extremely rural areas as well. The only challenge is just as NHBubba mentions above...Avoiding those town which have began to adopt the MA mentality.
    And don't leave out that the "Woodchucks" [those who live N and W of Manchester or Concord] don't consider the "Flatlanders" [SNH] to be real NH anyway.

Last edited by Garandman; 01-31-17 at 08:02 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Luckily I don't do any new construction. I currently work in repair. Id like to stay in repair or get a service route. Not much for construction, Im a grease monkey, through and through

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tuono

Elevators are cool. I like the fast ones that decelerate hard so I can get air....

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

I lived in Burlington, Vermont for the better part of a year and it just wasn't right for me. Felt a bit too far removed from society up there both literally with how far I was from my home in MA and figuratively with how different the culture is (you haven't seen liberals until you've been to vermont). Other than that, it's a nice area to live in. No crime, lots of white kids doing drugs, nice scenery, and good roads nearby.

I would prefer NH

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    I will have to look into your suggestions on "country" towns that are on the outskirts of the metro areas. Seems like an odd concept, towns like that don't exist in the SF bay area.
    If you try, you can find a nice suburban neighborhood with nice homes on two acre lots where you can see your neighbors and still have that sense of community, yet be in a rural setting. You can have all that and still be within 10 or 15 minutes of a shopping center meaning last minute trips to the store for supplies needed mid-project (or milk because you ran out early etc), are still doable without becoming a huge hassle. Plus, you'll be in a position where driving in one direction leads you into an even more rural setting to enjoy the country, while driving in the other direction brings into a more urban setting and within an hour into Boston should you decide you want to spend some time in the city.

Living on a defined line between city and country is probably the best living scenario I can think of, and there are plenty of opportunities around here to do it.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

And yet VT consistently outpaces any other New England state in quality of life rankings (granted, may or may not be your cuppa tea).

If you really want to get away from the BS, I have a friend in Bermuda who does elevators and I know they are desperate for trained people.... on the upside you can ride 2 wheels anywhere, anytime.... on the downside it has to be under 125cc...

CCS/LRRS #83

Yeah it's consistently ranked top in quality of life, yet nobody wants to live there except in retirement. Young people move out in droves.

Quality of life is a metric made up by state economic development agencies and tourists who view the state as a playground.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

I agree with that. I seem to remember Nashua NH being rated "best place to live in America" or some such over and over again. I lived there for 5 years and cannot imagine who would say such a thing; worst of both. Not urban enough to be fun. Not rural enough to be nice. Basically a giant strip mall for MA folks to avoid paying sales tax.

Anyway.

The big question

Do you get paid every day regardless if your busy or is this some kind of commission.

The bigger cities with elevators are still near the coast, can you get a piece of Maine too

If you don't get paid per day then I would not do it. I guess there are inspections etc. but still worry you would be full time

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    The big question

Do you get paid every day regardless if your busy or is this some kind of commission.

The bigger cities with elevators are still near the coast, can you get a piece of Maine too

If you don't get paid per day then I would not do it. I guess there are inspections etc. but still worry you would be full time
    I get paid hourly. The threat of lay offs is real, but for a good service or repair guy, there is work in the worst of times. It is usually new construction that takes a dive in slow times. No money, no building, no jobs. I know the Boston local had a few layoffs during the new year, but SF is still booming, we cant hire people fast enough.

Im definitely not opposed to driving and working in a larger city, obviously the bills need to get paid. But for me, I just don't want to live in the thick of it anymore.

Tuono

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

So that's a NO to being interested in relo to Bermuda....

CCS/LRRS #83

Wow, it's almost like different people have different priorities in where they live. Truly shocking we've devolved into a let's shit on areas we don't want to live in for the opposite reason people live there.

I think you need to make a solid list of priorities and rank them. That may help you get a good hold on need / want and then see what fits the top of the list. There is a a shocking amount of variation up here so it's all about you not the dinks on here stroking themselves on their choice of location.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I judged by nearness of livestock

1/4 mile when I moved here in 1995

Now horse 1/2 mile cattle 1 mile

They call my area (eastern CT) the quiet corner the only unlit region from Portland ,Me to Richmond, Va..
    Its funny because in the mid 1800s it would have been an industrial power house

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I was born in Stowe Vt. and grew up in Burlington, basically lived there until I was 39 with a 4 year stint in NH. Burlington has changed a shit-ton in the last 20 years and NOT for the better. I avoid it at all costs although I drive by it 5-7 days a week. Plenty of drugs and self entitled shitbags there now. At least more than when I left....... The next time I move it will be at least as far south as Virginia. Oh, and most of the roads here are in terrible shape, other than the interstates of course.....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I judged by nearness of livestock
    Do you have a special fondness for livestock?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lived in Massachusetts most of my life from Beverly to Belchertown.. Just kept moving west.. The Pioneer Valley is great, I have been hear over 10 years its close to CT NH VT NY with Boston not out of reach.. Nice Airport in Hartford Really can't say enough good thing about the area. But the place that draws me is the lakes region of NH. I will be making the move within a year. That being said I will have a nice 3 bed 2 1/2 bath home on a dead end road for sale...
    Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast