Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Looking for help/advice on 60's-70's car

Looking for help/advice on 60's-70's car

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to pick up a car to use on weekends. My wife wants a late 60's to early 70's car, I was trying to talk her into something newer because I have no mechanical aptitude. Let's say I lost and we're looking for an older car. We're looking for something we can take on long weekends, so it would see time on the interstate. Per my wife, it has to be a manual transmission...we have a tight budget, so we're not looking for show queens or original SS's!

I've heard older cars with stock engine and transmission are not great interstate machines due to low gearing, is this true? I wouldn't be able to live with myself with Prius' passing me on the interstate!!

How much added maintenance is an older car, since I have no mechanical aptitude?

Would an olde car with newer aftermarket engine and transmission be better choice? I'm just worried this may be tough to have someone work on?

I've heard handling will be interesting? We're used to driving down the interstate with one finger on the wheel...

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    Chris

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Re: Looking for help/advice on 60's-70's car

If you're looking for an easy vehicle to just drive you're looking at getting something that was already fully restored which is usually $$.

Sounds like you're also going to want to find something with a disk brake conversion or came with disk brakes. My truck has all drums and you really have to plan ahead for stopping and keep an adequate following distance.

Wife requested manual transmission? Fuck yeah.

What's your budget approximately?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You have a tight budget, no mechanical aptitude, want to go on long road trips, and will be traveling on highway interstates....???

You just listed all the reasons to not get a 40-50 year old car.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Find an old Mustang. Update the suspension and brakes and stuff a Coyote motor in the thing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

We've been saving for a while, but we'll still need to finance some...Really want to be low $20's, so I'm hoping we'll be able to find something nice, just know we can't get a show car. We're getting it for our 20th wedding anniversary. We've said later...later, but figure now's as good a time as any!

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

There's plenty of old cars that will cruise on the highway fine with stock gearing. A nice range is 2.73-3.23, with a 4 spd transmission which is usually a 1-1 ratio in 4th.
    An older car can and will work fine. IMO the biggest hurdle is finding something that isn't rotted, and hasn't been butchered and fucked with over the years. Obviously most old cars won't handle like a new one, but that doesn't mean they're terrible either. You do want power steering and power brakes. Discs up front are good too. I wouldn't shy away from an older car with an engine and transmission from a new car. Fuel injection adds consistency to the way an old car runs, which is nice.

Without knowing your budget it's tough to say. You can buy someone else's problems for $5500, or get your hands on something fairly sorted for $17,500. If you buy the one for $5500, plan on taking the $12,000 class on classic cars.

Lifer

I don't see why an aftermarket engine or trans would be more difficult to work on as long as you know what it is. If it's a mystery engine, that might make sourcing parts a pain in the ass. Most people who do those kinda swaps document that info. E.g. 1967 Camaro with LS1 swap. The only catch might be if they've done a fuel injection conversion and it's a very unusual system, or assembled with wire nuts and duct tape. Be sure to test drive it, and pay attention to various amounts of throttle. Go full to the floor, pulse it, quickly release etc. You want to feel if you're inheriting someone's untuned project.

I'm skeptical that 'mechanical ineptitude' and 'long weekends' and 'tight budget' are all going to work out. Does long weekend mean 5 states away, or you mean burn some gas downtown on Sunday night?

I'd love to see you get it from a mechanical ineptitude POV. Time to learn, and on a vehicle you don't need fixed for Monday morning.

nedirtriders.com

I know, right!! But there's no changing the boss' mind. That's why I wanted something newer...I lost!

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    You just listed all the reasons to not get a 40-50 year old car.
    This, I have a 69 SS Chevelle myself. I'll write more when I'm in front of a comp but bottom line spend money or learn how to wrench

Perhaps one of those modern cars with throwback style would be more up your alley?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller Ayuh View Post
    We've been saving for a while, but we'll still need to finance some...Really want to be low $20's, so I'm hoping we'll be able to find something nice, just know we can't get a show car. We're getting it for our 20th wedding anniversary. We've said later...later, but figure now's as good a time as any!
    Low 20's should get you there. My father has a red '70 GTO he's looking to sell. 455, 4 spd, and had a nut and bolt restoration. That car is $25,000. I think it's geared pretty low, so not something that would be fun for long on the highway, but you can get quite a bit of car once you get into the 20k range.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Perhaps one of those modern cars with throwback style would be more up your alley?
    The wife won't have any part of a newer car with throwback style. I've tried!

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Any chance that your wife's idea of cool cars from the 70's includes foreign cars? If so, Datsun might have something that fits the bill.

Last edited by audiojeff; 03-29-17 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post
    Any chance that your wife's idea of cool cars from the 70's includes foreign cars? If so, Datsun might have something that fits the bill.

Nope, I tried that too...I was thinking a nice old school 240Z would be sweet, but I was overruled! I like so many different cars from Datsun, to BMW 2002's, to Alfa's, to muscle cars, heck, I was even interested in an old Dodge Omni GLH Turbo that would have been really easy on the wallet with money for upgrades...Nope!

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Well, then I hope she likes pickup trucks and Corvettes, because under $20K from that era, and with a stick, leaves a pretty small number of American built cars.

C3 Corvette. You can get a decent example in the teens, something really nice in the 20's. Easy to work on, they are getting a little more respect as they are getting to be more classic, not much to them to maintain. They do ride like a dump truck and are usually noisy unless someone has taken the time to mat the hell out of it, but that is what you get with classic cars in general. And if you keep it nice, with the way things are trending, it will appreciate or hold its value.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

For highway, consider a german car... I nice 2002, 911, or mercedes... Updated brakes are a must, as well as some attention to soundproofing. Old cars are LOUD inside. Fun around town, but gets old on the highway.

Paul_E_D

Go buy a NEW Muscle Car.....ZL1, vette or Hellcat

You dont wrench or want to.........

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

how about a MG

better yet a ford Maverick my pops had stuffed a 351 Cleveland into one for drag racing at Epping and put in a 302 for the winter.

8K here you go

1970 ford maverick

OOOOOohhhhh a grabber. Better yet!! 18.5K I'm in love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1970 M code FORD Grabber

Last edited by nt650hawk; 03-30-17 at 07:36 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    C3 Corvette. You can get a decent example in the teens, something really nice in the 20's. Easy to work on, they are getting a little more respect as they are getting to be more classic, not much to them to maintain. They do ride like a dump truck and are usually noisy unless someone has taken the time to mat the hell out of it, but that is what you get with classic cars in general. And if you keep it nice, with the way things are trending, it will appreciate or hold its value.
    Anyone who knows me knows I was gonna go there. C3/C4. Dime a dozen and naturally they'll be low(er) mileage than something that may have been used year 'round. And the bodies don't rust. You could get a lot of Corvette for that kind of money...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Anyone who knows me knows I was gonna go there. C3/C4. Dime a dozen and naturally they'll be low(er) mileage than something that may have been used year 'round. And the bodies don't rust. You could get a lot of Corvette for that kind of money...
    Couple years ago I passed up on a '96 convertible with LT4 and 6spd. 50k on the clock, $18.5, great condition. I just wasn't in the right place, should have grabbed it, great ice cream car.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Hemmings

Here are 1515 results for cars between 15- 25 K .

If she can't find something you both like here .........

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...t=&country=&q=

TIMMYDUCK

car from 60s or 70's

first, I would recommend pre 74, thats when cars became fugly with 1st generation 5mph bumpers and unreliable 1st gen emission, mid to late 70's cars SUCK

other than that, not any car in particular, my grandma had an old mid 60s' Corvair turbo convertible, just look for something that has been well maintained and restored, maybe a '62 Rambler American ..... or a '68 Dodge Coronet 3 on tree like I drove in drivers ed. I'd look for what would be considered a plain car instead of a muscle car that is more likely to have been beat, it will be harder to find one with a standard transmission though

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller Ayuh View Post
    We're used to driving down the interstate with one finger on the wheel...
    s
    just like today, as long as wheels are in alignment and tires are balanced

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

So many cool options from that era, I won't bother with any specific recommendations (*ahem*C10 pickup*ahem*) but here's a few things to think about:
    All original is all the money. It has a cool factor and big time value if you're a serious collector but ultimately they're a show piece not a driver an require a good deal of work to maintain. I think the smartest thing you could do is buy something in the resto-mod category. #1, they are valued significantly less than a numbers matching original. #2, you get modern running gear like fuel injection, overdrive transmission, good brakes, good suspension, and likely all done recently. Most importantly for you all of those things will have you driving more and wrenching (paying for wrenching) less.
    I would recommend finding a broker or local dealer who deals in classics. If you don't wrench and aren't knowledgeable on the subject, you could easily write a $20k check for a total turd. Research who is in your area and what their reputation is, then go in and have a chat. They'll be able to find something in your budget that you can buy with confidence.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast