Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Looking for help/advice on 60's-70's car

Re: Looking for help/advice on 60's-70's car

One thing to keep in mind is that older cars (by and large) are easier to work on, and consumable parts for older cars (by and large) are much cheaper than current cars.

For example, the power steering pump on my El Camino was bad and I had to swap it out. The new power steering pump was $34.79 and took me about 20 minutes to swap out. When the power steering pump on my '01 Subaru Outback died, it was hundreds of dollars for the pump and a huge pain in the ass to swap out.

The more common the car -- or more importantly, the more common the platform -- the cheaper the parts will be. They made these cars by the tens of millions, after all.

Doing common-sense upgrades like better carbs and true HEI ignition (not fucking points and condensers and that garbage) makes a big difference when it comes to reliability.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 03-30-17 at 10:08 AM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    So many cool options from that era, I won't bother with any specific recommendations (*ahem*C10 pickup*ahem*) but here's a few things to think about:
    All original is all the money. It has a cool factor and big time value if you're a serious collector but ultimately they're a show piece not a driver an require a good deal of work to maintain. I think the smartest thing you could do is buy something in the resto-mod category. #1, they are valued significantly less than a numbers matching original. #2, you get modern running gear like fuel injection, overdrive transmission, good brakes, good suspension, and likely all done recently. Most importantly for you all of those things will have you driving more and wrenching (paying for wrenching) less.
    I would recommend finding a broker or local dealer who deals in classics. If you don't wrench and aren't knowledgeable on the subject, you could easily write a $20k check for a total turd. Research who is in your area and what their reputation is, then go in and have a chat. They'll be able to find something in your budget that you can buy with confidence.
    This is great advice, though it appears SWMBO has already ruled out restomods.

Personally I'd head South. While at Fort Benning, GA bought an 18yo VW Beetle that still had the original finish on the undercarriage: almost no rust at all. The newer ones I had up here were ready for the junkyard.

My brother lives in TX and old cars there have faded paint and ratty interiors from the sun, but rust is seldom a consideration- unless the vehicle was brought there by a transplant. Places like Dallas and Las Vegas seem to have pretty active vintage car markets.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

I think she ruled out modern retros, not resto mods

Paul_E_D

I will never buy another classic/vintage/antique car from New England, unless it's only been here for a couple of years and I can go over every inch of the fuckin' thing with a magnet and a screwdriver.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Mid 60's Thunderbird coupe. Cheap, dead reliable and not hard to find. Plus they are pretty friggin cool to look at.

Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think she ruled out modern retros, not resto mods
    Correct, restomods are ok, but new retro is not. From what I've seen resto mods are pricey due to all the updates engine, transmission, suspension, etc...But does sound like it could be a viable option if we could find one within our budget.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

I LOVED my 77 Austin Mini, but a highway car it is not. Mine was more of a racecar...

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Trans Am

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Woman unit wanted 60's vette (I didn't want to fix it constantly), I talked her into modern vette in sheep's clothing.

Keep trying, maybe you can help her see the light. Good luck!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Get her a test drive in an older resto-mod car, then get her a ride in a new retro designed car. I think you'll find that would sell the newer car. So many people have these grand ideas of getting an older muscle car (or Jeep, or truck, etc) and drive it daily because it would be cool. They get to ride in one and the idea goes sour pretty quick (especially the Jeep CJ thing, ask me why I have this opinion).

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

All I can do is shake my head at this thread...this poor guy's head must be spinning with misinformation. Fact is, 95% of cars made in the 60's-early 70's were available in standard transmission. Some models will be hard to find. Cars from that era are not only easier and cheaper to maintain, they are more reliable. Gas, tires, oil....that's it. Convert points-ignition cars to modern ignition. Definitely has to have front disc brakes...but most from that era did. Expect to have to go through the front end (Tie rods, pitman arm, end links, ball joints, etc.). There are many from that era in near-restored mostly original condition for 15-20k. I was looking myself last October before I bought my Vette. I've owned a few classics, built quite a few, and used to judge classic car shows. C3 vette is a great choice. If you were willing to extend into the smog years (all the way to 82), you can find a fantastic deal on a C3. With a few exceptions, classic European cars are unreliable money pits, and don't make great "cruisers". I can't believe someone suggested a 911....seriously? VW beetles....talk about loud! They struggle to do 65mph...definitely not a cruising car. Stay away from anything 4 cylinder or V-6. Straight six cars can be had for less than V8 and are a great choice, usually. Most full-size American cars from that era are actually quite quiet inside. One option is to find a nice vehicle that's an automatic, and install a semi-manual valvebody. You can shift it manually if you want, or just put it in "Drive" and go! Spend extra on something that is complete, in excellent shape, and has been taken care of. You can spend 15k on a complete Classic in amazing condition, or spend 5k on a basket case and spend 30k to complete it. Unless you're looking for a particular model with particular options, it's not worth buying a basket case. Search ebay for completed listings on particular models you're interested in. It's a good place to find out what prices they are actually selling for. i've seen some nice originals sell for real cheap due to no reserve. Scour Craigslist. You can filter years, makes, models, etc. I've seen some really nice 70's classics pop up on there for short money. Don't be afraid to travel several hundred miles to get what you're looking for....it will be worth it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitron View Post
    VW beetles....talk about loud! They struggle to do 65mph...definitely not a cruising car. Stay away from anything 4 cylinder or V-6.
    Really, never had a problem maintaining 85-90 mph on the highway with the '68 Beetle (1500cc) I had, ya, it may have slowed to 75-80 going up a long steep grade, but on the downhill end, it could easily do "OIL" mph, at least that is where the speedo needle was pointed, 30-35mph, easy to work on, my brother has a '58 (36hp/1200cc) Transporter, that did struggle to do 65mph till he put a race car motor in it

and Buick, made a wonderful aluminum V-6

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Your wife is saying "no" to a lot of things. Maybe she can tell you the exact car she had in mind and you guys go from there.

For $5k, there's this 78 Porsche on CL. Dump the remaining $15k of your budget into it and end up with everything you're asking for and more.

Looking for help/advice on 60's-70's car-01717_c3tpxglktx5_1200x900-jpg

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Your wife is saying "no" to a lot of things. Maybe she can tell you the exact car she had in mind and you guys go from there.

For $5k, there's this 78 Porsche on CL. Dump the remaining $15k of your budget into it and end up with everything you're asking for and more.
    I think she helped define the requirements pretty well... I like that 944 but it's really got the beginnings of the styling we have on cars today. Not much for retro vibe. Late 60's, early 70's, manual, <$20k. Not Japanese.

Is the goal to have a muscle car, like the Camaro or 442? Or a big boat, like an old Cadillac or Chrysler 300?

nedirtriders.com

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I LOVED my 77 Austin Mini, but a highway car it is not. Mine was more of a racecar...
    My dad had an Austin America when I was really young, still bigger than a mini, but that car was a blast to go for rides in!!

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Get her a test drive in an older resto-mod car, then get her a ride in a new retro designed car. I think you'll find that would sell the newer car. So many people have these grand ideas of getting an older muscle car (or Jeep, or truck, etc) and drive it daily because it would be cool. They get to ride in one and the idea goes sour pretty quick (especially the Jeep CJ thing, ask me why I have this opinion).
    You would think that, but my wife loves the smell of regular gasoline and race fuel!!

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

If my wife had her way, she'd have a 50's Ford or Chevrolet pickup. We do a lot with our nieces and nephews, and I convinced her that probably wasn't the best choice due to only 2 seats, and our garage is small. So she landed next on 60's to 70's muscle.

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Is the goal to have a muscle car, like the Camaro or 442? Or a big boat, like an old Cadillac or Chrysler 300?
    From all the conversations we've had, her top list would be:
    Late 60-early 70's Chevelle, Skylark, LeMans, Cutlass, Duster, or Dart

I love the 70's Trans-Am's, but she's not a fan...I thought this way we could potentially get t-tops since a convertible of the cars she likes is not really in the budget.

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller Ayuh View Post
    my wife loves the smell of regular gasoline and race fuel!!
    Trade you my 60's pony car for your wife?

I hope this works out well for you, I thought about adding some why-it's-not-a-good-ideas, but life's short, and plenty of other people can drive the Priuses. Nice thing about an old car, if you buy it right and maintain it, you can always get your money back, and keep the fun memories. I think anything made between '71 and '86 is an eyesore. You're gonna learn a ton about car fixin', and have to listen to endless reminiscences from strangers about the time their uncle beat everyone at the drag strip with his slant six.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lined up 2 really different cars to test drive tomorrow...A Chevelle with a 396, 4spd, disc's in the front, pretty much stock suspension...Other is a pro touring car, with a modern 350, 5spd, aftermarket front suspension, 4 wheel discs, etc...Hopefully this will direct what we'll look for, unless we decide we can't leave without one of them. I'll let you know what my driving impressions are.

Appreciate all the info from everyone!!

Cheers!
    Chris

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller Ayuh View Post
    Lined up 2 really different cars to test drive tomorrow...A Chevelle with a 396, 4spd, disc's in the front, pretty much stock suspension...Other is a pro touring car, with a modern 350, 5spd, aftermarket front suspension, 4 wheel discs, etc...Hopefully this will direct what we'll look for, unless we decide we can't leave without one of them. I'll let you know what my driving impressions are.

Appreciate all the info from everyone!!

Cheers!
    Chris
    With that kind of purchase, it would not be a bad idea to have a prepurchase inspection done by a local classic shop. At the very least, any mechanic.

nedirtriders.com

Too bad they started making the 944 in 1982....

Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Too bad they started making the 944 in 1982....
    From the ad: ". . . 1978 Porsche with a 944 body kit." Probably a 924 with lipstick (944 body kit). The 924 was produced form 1976 to 1988.

Last edited by Gecko; 03-31-17 at 07:20 AM.
    John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Really, never had a problem maintaining 85-90 mph on the highway with the '68 Beetle (1500cc) I had, ya, it may have slowed to 75-80 going up a long steep grade, but on the downhill end, it could easily do "OIL" mph, at least that is where the speedo needle was pointed, 30-35mph, easy to work on, my brother has a '58 (36hp/1200cc) Transporter, that did struggle to do 65mph till he put a race car motor in it

and Buick, made a wonderful aluminum V-6
    I've always had a hankering for an old Karmann Ghia or a Volvo P1800

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast