Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Looking to repurpose wired door and window sensors into smart home security

Looking to repurpose wired door and window sensors into smart home security

Just moved into a new house and every damn window and door has a security sensor on it. It's an ADT branded system and we have no interest in maintaining a contract with them, what I'm trying to do is have any window or door opening alert to be pushed to our phones via some sort of smart home hub. Did some brief research and it's seems totally doable but pretty far beyond anything i'd consider tackling. Here's a thread I found that shows what I'm looking to accomplish. Connect wired alarm system sensors to SmartThings with a NodeMCU ESP8266 [deprecated] - Projects & Stories - SmartThings Community

So, anyone here have the know-how and time to do this as a side job? How about any recommendations on a person or company that does this? I'm in central RI.

THANKS!

0 Not allowed!
    Hyper

Re: Looking to repurpose wired door and window sensors into smart home security

can't help you with your install but thanks for the heads up on this! had no idea this was possible. bye, bye ADT...

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I haven't done this specifically, but I am an electronics engineer and have been working on manufacturing control systems for 15 or so years. I did some reading on the application and I don't think I'd have any issue getting it done, honestly I'm pretty intrigued by the project. I live over in Rehoboth, MA so not too far away. I'd need to come out and do a site survey - get a count on numbers of sensors, discuss setup, finalize parts order - then I should be able to build and test the system on my work bench and bring it back for a final install.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Sweet, I'll get the deets and be in touch.

0 Not allowed!

Shouldn't be too hard to do.

If there's any sort of a wired network connection near the ADT box you could just use a standard Arduino with an ethernet shield.
    If not you should look at an ESP32 rather than the 8266.

I'm not familiar with SmartThings at all, but it's not impossible to send notifications from an Arduino to a phone. Here's a couple methods. Send Notifications to Your Phone From an ESP8266: 3 Steps (with Pictures)

0 Not allowed!