Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Looking for route input - Dedham to New London

Lifer

Looking for route input - Dedham to New London

Hey Gang,

Fate has it I'll be doing some work for the next few years at the Coast Guard Academy in CT. I'd like to take the bike as much as I can down there with the least amount of slab possible.

Any thoughts on a half decent way to get there and back from Dedham? Other than a bit of Rt-102 & Rt-14/14a in RI I don't have much...

Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Looking for route input - Dedham to New London

169 and rt. 12 are both a nice ride and will bring you pretty close. Neither are super twisty but they are lower traffic country roads you can pass on. I'm not out there often, I'm sure smutty will be more help, but 197 is a good ride too. Pretty much non main road out in the quiet corner is nice. There are some nice road up through Thompson that pass the speedway and the east side of Webster lake too. You can travel a good distance off high way in a reasonably quick fashion out there. Zoom in on a map and you'll come up with a fun route pretty easily. Plan your route around 95/ that area being a clusterfuck from 3-6pm. Probably no different than your area near boston.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 10-29-17 at 09:04 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    ... Zoom in on a map and you'll come up with a fun route pretty easily....
    Any monkey can do that. I'm looking for more insight than what Google Maps has to offer...

Check out 163

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Hypertarded

DAM dude, that a commute and 3/4

Anyway can't help much on the MASS section, but since you mentioned 102 & 14 I'm going to assume your coming thru RI instead of heading out into W.mass and into CT.

I'd try to avoid the far northern part of RI back roads unless you have unlimited time for the commute, however if you are entering RI way up north you could jump onto 102 up near the 146 intersection area, I'm not crazy about 102 that far north, but it's OK. You'd just stay on 102 down to 14.

The 102/14 intersection will be the entrance into CT for all of the routes.

I'd jump on 295 down to Exit8 getting onto 7 west then 116 south, then 3 choices to shoot across to 102: A) Snake hill Rd., B)Danielson Pike or C) 14, pretty good roads similar time & mileage.

If your short on time you can stay on 295 down to Exit4 getting onto 14 west directly heading out to 102.

Once on 102 from any of the above down to 14 and take 14 into CT then get onto 14a, then onto 49 south (really good road). When you get to the 49/138/165 intersection(it's one intersection, 138/165 are the same road for like 2 miles in the Voluntown area) you've got several choices of some real good roads that will take you down to the far southern part of CT near the USCG academy.

take 165 west to 201 south (real good road) to 184 west on to 95 for like 2 miles to get across the river. (Choice 1A)

OR You can continue on 49 down to 184 west all the way out on to 95 (Choice 1B)

if short on time you can jump onto 95 south instead of 184 at either of these points

OR 165 to 201 to 2 west to 214 to either: A) 117 South to 184 to 95 B) 12 NORTH to 2a bridge across river to 32 south OR C) 12 SOUTH to 95 (Choice 3a/b/c)

OR 165 to Main St. into Norwich then either A) onto 12 south to 2A bridge across river to 32 south or continue 12 to 95 OR B) Main across river onto West Main onto 32 south (Choice4)

Beware the cops in RI on any of the roads, if you've got radar detector most use "always on" radar so you can usually pick them up. Not saying there are no cops in CT, but in my experience you are FAR less likely to run into CT cops on the back roads.

Hope that helps, good luck with that HELLISH commute and let me know if you ever want to ride when your down in the area. I live just over the RI border near 165, there are some great smaller back roads off the routes.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    DAM dude, that a commute and 3/4
    Wow, now weíre cooking. Thanks!

I lost a lot of riding time this year traveling to Ohio every week for my old job. Iím just happy I donít have to deal with airports anymore...