Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for tablet advice.

Dic on

Wirelessly posted

I have a $500 budget to buy my wife a tablet for Xmas. I'm torn between the ipad and one of the android tablets with an actual keyboard. She uses an android phone.

Use will be mostly browsing Facebook, Pinterest etc, some document type work (she's a teacher) and that's about it.

Any suggestions? Best places to buy and get best prices? Extended warrantee and accidental damage plans worth it? I'm hopeless at this shit.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 12-12-12 at 05:48 PM.
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Re: Looking for tablet advice.

I'm not sure what you mean by Android tablet with keyboards. Do you mean tablets with available keyboard accessories? Because if that is the case they are available for both the iPad and Android tablets.

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

Was looking at the Asus transformer, but I see that is an optional keyboard also. I thought it was built in. What te new laptop/pad thing that has the twist able screen and built in keyboard? I saw a commercial for it but can't remember the name of it.

OXX

Your thinking of Microsoft "surface". I don't know anything about them, I just remember the commercial.

2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

That's then one. Thanks n

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Your thinking of Microsoft "surface". I don't know anything about them, I just remember the commercial.
    I know a good bit about the surface

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    Gonna keep it to yourself?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Looking for tablet advice.

I got a mail from AT&T offering me $100.00 off any Tablet. Maybe their having a sale cus I don't really believe I'm 'special'!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

I say go with the Ipad..either the 3 or the mini.

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher
    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Share your insight?

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I got a mail from AT&T offering me $100.00 off any Tablet. Maybe their having a sale cus I don't really believe I'm 'special'!!!
    we doing $100 of ANY tablet with 2 yr commitment.
    Degs let me know what you need!

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    we doing $100 of ANY tablet with 2 yr commitment.
    Degs let me know what you need!
    Don't need cellular access on this. :-)

OXX

If she has an Android phone I'd go with an Android tablet. Buy an app on your phone, use it on the tablet and vice versa. If you go iwhatever, then that's another store plus iTunes that you also need to deal with.

If I were buying right now I'd look really really hard at the Nexus 10. I'm generally a big fan of the Motorola devices, but the merger seems to have impacted their tablet plans significantly as they've been slow with updated hardware.

The surface hardware seems great, but what little I've played with it, the software is at best inconsistent and more likely incomplete.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The MS Surface is overpriced for what it is and that is before you factor in the keyboard, which is also an optional accessory despite what their commercials might lead you to believe.

It sounds like what you're really thinking of is something along the lines of the these or these neither of which are really in the same category as a iPad or other Android tablet. They have more in common with a regular PC than tablet.

iPad 4. Not the 3rd gen

EX 105 : CCS Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, South East, Florida, and WERA
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    iPad 4. Not the 3rd gen
    What is that jimmy?

OXX

If she is not interested in tweaking, or otherwise putting any thought into it, get the iPad. My g/f had an android phone and hated it. I got her and iPhone last year and haven't heard a peep out of her since regarding phones.

There are apps to sync most of the accounts and other stuff she has going on her android phone.

If your wife is into the whole Google eco system, Nexus 10. Otherwise iPad [_].

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Galaxy tab 10.1 is really nifty with the pen. You can use it like a notepad, it will convert handwriting to text ... best compromise without a keyboard. I love our iPad2...but only for letting my kid play Games and videos. The Samsung takes it up a notch at work for meetings and such as well as keeping all the same functions as the iPad for size, battery life and weight. I never quite understood the warranties. E.g. for our iPad it's $100 and covers everything...except the screen. What it is when it gets broken you can pay $250 on top of the $100 you spent on the warranty! Emm so the iPad 2 costs $359 ... you. Essentially just bought a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Don't need cellular access on this. :-)
    then get her a laptop lol jk. my vote goes with the pad too. any model will do

Wirelessly posted

iPad mini = sweet

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I have a samsung galaxy and I like it very much.

I had a sweet notebook and gave it to my daughter.
    I just never used it anymore.
    I bring the galaxy with me everywhere.

Sam

Most of the keyboard sporting transformables are outside your $500 budget Degsy.

If going the android route, my vote is for the Nexus 10 simply because it's pure vanilla Android without any crap tossed on top of it by the vendor. It'll see updates quicker, and for longer due to it being Google's flagship offering. Keyboards for all the various tabs are available as accessories as you've found, though the Asus Transformers have the best integration by far, including a viable touchpad for precision work.

Galaxy 2 with a keyboard and accessories for $420.....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2435777

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude View Post
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" Tablet with many high quality accessories. LIKE NEW

A. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" Tablet

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
    16GB Internal Memory; microSD expansion up to 32GB (no microSD card included)
    Wireless N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n); Bluetooth 3.0, GPS Enabled with Latitude, Google Maps

Accessories

B. BLUREX Leather Slim folio Case With Multi-Angle Stand for SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 2 10.1

Protect and Secure your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 by absorbing shock from accidental drops. Custom cutouts for direct access to all device features including access to the front and back cameras on your tab 2. Premium leather cover and soft micro fiber interior lining for scratch protection. Converts into a multi-angle stand with the groves in the case

C. Logitech/ZAGG Bluetooth Aluminum Keyboard/Case Made for Galaxy Tab 10.1

The ideal match for the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Keyboard Case is carefully crafted from precision-cut, aircraft-grade aluminum, so it fits, feels and looks great. The Logitech-designed wireless keyboard pairs quickly and easily over Bluetooth. The keyboard charges over USB. Shortcut keys provide quick access to common commands like cut, paste, return to home screen and more. The inside corners are lined with high-density padding to help cushion and protect your Galaxy Tab if accidentally dropped. A recess just behind the keyboard holds your tablet at the ideal angle for typing.

D. Juiced Systems Samsung Galaxy Tablet 4-in-1 Connection Kit: USB, SD Memory/micro SD, Micro USB Adapter for Galaxy Tablet

USB Host = Reads Hard Disks, Digital Cameras & Keyboards
    Micro USB = Sync with PC and Charge Tablet
    SD Card Slot = Reads SD Memory Cards
    Micro SD Slot = Reads Micro SD cards
    Will Charge your tablet via Laptop USB (1000-1300mAH MAX)

E. Juiced System's Extra Long Galaxy Tablet 30 Pin Charging & Micro USB Dual charging Cable - 6.5 ft Length (2 meters)

Much longer than the original Samsung cable. USB to Galaxy Tablet 30 Pin connector & Micro USB Connector. Charge both devices simultaneously. Charge time varies depending on your source of USB input. 1 cable solution for your phone and tablet charging needs. High Quality Cable.

Bought this tablet for the family to view in the kitchen for weather, email, very minimal adults-only use, always kept clean, in excellent condition. No longer interested, and cash is needed for bills.

As purchased:

Galaxy tablet paid $400. Blurex case paid $20. Logitech keyboard case paid $30. Juiced 4-in-1 adapter paid $20. Juiced Samsung/micro-usb dual cable paid $15. TOTAL PAID $485.

*****Asking $420 CASH (that is $30 lower than I am asking on craigs list $450) pickup in San Diego (or can arrange meeting in Orange County areas when I visit), for everything seen like-new perfect condition, as-is. What you see is what you get (except the kitchen tablet holder is not available). So much more bang for your buck than getting an iPad.*****

Anyone needing shipping, I could do USPS Priority Mail insured/delivery confirmation for additional $20.00 for the shipping and packing. Paypal or Square transactions add 3% more.

Sincere interest please send your name/number for me to text message to make arrangements. Thank you.

Photos below:

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

just some notes from my experience with my Samsung Galaxy...(I have a wifi only version)

The battery lasts much longer than I expected...certainly several times longer than my Droid X2

It has never crashed on me...ever.

After a couple months I did reboot it when I was having trouble with a misbehaving app.

It is much faster than any other Android device that I have ever used and I have run Android on a couple phones, several tablets and a laptop.

Bluetooth and WiFi work very well.

The Touch Screen is very smooth and accurate.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of external connectors but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

When connected to a PC and transferring files to the external sdcard, it shifts automatically back and forth to file transfer mode. This is very convenient since you do not have to do anything once the file transfer is complete. You can go right ahead and access the file from the tablet screen without unplugging or changing modes.

Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast