Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking for tablet advice.

Re: Looking for tablet advice.

Samsung FTW.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard will be cheaper that the asus transformer.. though i do like asus's products.. i've been using their motherboards exclusively for a long time..

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

Starting to lean towards a galaxy.

Now. The note or the tab. ?

If I buy the tab, I can afford some extras with it. Is the tab fast? I see reviews saying the note is faster but does the everyday user need that much speed?

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Not that this is going to help but after doing my own research I bought the galaxy as a christmas present and plan on getting the galaxy phone for myself.
    I bought my wife one for x-mas!

Samsung Galaxy Tab 32GB 10.1" WiFi - SOLD to xrocket21
    P7510 Specs:
    - 10.1" Widescreen Display
    - NVIDIA Dual Core Tegra 2 Processor 1GHz
    - 32GB Flash Storage
    - 1GB RAM
    - 802.11a/b/g/n Dual Band Wireless
    - Bluetooth 3.0
    - 7,000mAh Battery
    - Front and Rear Cameras (720p on rear)

Comes with CyanogenMod 10 freshly installed. Original factory ICS 4.0.4 backed up using TWRP 2.3.2.3 recovery.

Includes silicone case, factory Samsung USB cable as well as aftermarket extended USB cable, Samsung factory charger, Samsung USB adapter, extra screen protectors, original receipt and retail box.

Mrs ripper just got one of them google chrome books... Cheap goodness. I like.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Let’s bump this up...

Looking for a tablet, primary purpose is video entertainment during air travel. There’s a million tablets out there, would like to spend around $200, but if there’s a compelling reason to spend a bit more that’s cool too. Don’t really need massive storage, a couple of movies/episodes.

This is more a “what’s the best screen can I get for the money?” question I guess.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Just got an Amazon Fire tablet 10 when it was on sale.

From what I understand Fire tablets are essentially loss leaders for Amazon thats why they lock it to their interface and no Google play etc on there. To make sure they get return on their money.

Knowing nothing about side loading etc, I followed a quick YouTube video to load Google Play on there and will give this as a gift for my mother to replace her aging iPad. Apparently I shouldn't have paid to remove the ads as I easily could have done it after "modding" it by plugging it into computer.

Huge tablet, on sale for like $80. I can't complain. Debating on getting one for myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Just got an Amazon Fire tablet 10 when it was on sale.

From what I understand Fire tablets are essentially loss leaders for Amazon thats why they lock it to their interface and no Google play etc on there. To make sure they get return on their money.

Knowing nothing about side loading etc, I followed a quick YouTube video to load Google Play on there and will give this as a gift for my mother to replace her aging iPad. Apparently I shouldn't have paid to remove the ads as I easily could have done it after "modding" it by plugging it into computer.

Huge tablet, on sale for like $80. I can't complain. Debating on getting one for myself now.
    +1...had previously bought an ipad mini 16gb wifi in dec 2014 for $243 and when it became too slow i sold it and took a chance on an amazon fire 10 1080p 32gb wifi in dec 2017 for $120...also side loaded google play...did not pay to remove ads, i had to call and request that the ads be removed i think...downloaded all my daughters favorite movies onto it from amazon and netflix for our flight to visit family in CA...worked great...don't really use it a ton but it still runs great...camera is garbage but the screen is good...have not had any issues with it but like i said we don't use it that much other than trips...highly recommended over an ipad

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-01-20 at 09:54 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I just ordered a fire HD 10 also.
    Quick links on how to remove ads and load google play on it?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I just ordered a fire HD 10 also.
    Quick links on how to remove ads and load google play on it?

Ordered myself a 10 as well (as well as present to my mother). The return period is gracious if I decide I don't actually want it. I know she likes tablets and I've never actually had one for myself.

If I use it even partially as much as a phone I can see it being useful.

to remove ads...i did a chat with an amazon rep and had them remove them for free...much easier than having to load a bunch of crap to disable them...

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlefire/...ndle_for_free/

https://www.techjunkie.com/remove-ki...pecial-offers/

https://anexerciseinfrugality.com/re...s-fire-tablet/

Last edited by Point37; 12-01-20 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    to remove ads...i did a chat with an amazon rep and had them remove them for free...much easier than having to load a bunch of crap to disable them...

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlefire/...ndle_for_free/

https://anexerciseinfrugality.com/re...s-fire-tablet/
    I've done it before by chatting with them about my kindle. At the time I genuinely didn't realize that I'd have ads on my screen and that my price was reflective of that fact.

Now I'm not willing to cheat my way into that through customer service. I'm pretty sure I can remove them with the YouTube directions above, but if not I'm willing to live with them for the cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I've done it before by chatting with them about my kindle. At the time I genuinely didn't realize that I'd have ads on my screen and that my price was reflective of that fact.

Now I'm not willing to cheat my way into that through customer service. I'm pretty sure I can remove them with the YouTube directions above, but if not I'm willing to live with them for the cheaper price.
    same here...when i bought mine they didn't have the +$15 to buy it without ads...i got it and realized it was a pain in the ass so i chatted with them on my computer and they took the ads off the tablet for free...can't remember what story i made up...it took care of them forever without the need for extra work on my end that could potentially be an issue in the future...if i were to buy another now i would probably just pay the $15

Bought an iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi refurbed on eBay for less than $200.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Bought an iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi refurbed on eBay for less than $200.
    Whatever you do, don't break the screen. There is something unique about the Air 2 and a screen replacement (even aftermarket) will cost you what you paid for the iPad itself. Ask me how I know...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Appreciate the references to the Fire tab. That said, any specific comments on picture quality watching movies/TV shows? Basically, I’m trying to get the best screen/video display possible for the price.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Appreciate the references to the Fire tab. That said, any specific comments on picture quality watching movies/TV shows? Basically, I’m trying to get the best screen/video display possible for the price.
    Yes. It’s good enough HD under $100 on a good size screen.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Whatever you do, don't break the screen. There is something unique about the Air 2 and a screen replacement (even aftermarket) will cost you what you paid for the iPad itself. Ask me how I know...
    I paid $189 for a 2 to replace my old one - when the screen broke. And it supports the latest OS.

We have a local guy who services phones and tablets. He will use OEM parts if you want.

Since I broke the first one bought a rubber case with fat rounded edges. And a glass screen cover. So far so good.

Looking for tablet advice.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Yes. It’s good enough HD under $100 on a good size screen.
    i second that...i will take a photo of mine with a movie on when it charges up...just tried to turn it on and it was dead...my wife likes to leave things on and put them away...happens with the laptop too

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 12-04-20 at 05:31 PM.

Steve Carell is the voice of Gru. Facts. Kristen Wiig is Lucy Wild.

We’ve bought a number of refurbished tablets from a company called Tekreplay. Recommended.

https://tekreplay.com/

This thread reminded me that I had a fire 10 hd kid edition collecting dust. Sparked it up, bought a more adult case for it and what do you know, dad has a tablet for watching yootoobe while making dinner. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    This thread reminded me that I had a fire 10 hd kid edition collecting dust. Sparked it up, bought a more adult case for it and what do you know, dad has a tablet for watching yootoobe while making dinner. Not too shabby.
    Hah I literally just searched for this thread and thought I was bugging because I saw it bumped right after I searched. Figured it's maybe something I did.

Just went through and installed google play etc on the 10 I just got.

Lifer

I bought a bunch of hd7 fire tablets last year to give out as easy presents and kept a few for my self. Its all i use to travel now that i have loaded the play store. Its small enough to fit in a coat pocket sort of and the screen is pretty nice. The sd card slot makes up for the low storage space on the tablet. I just load it up with movies for flights before hand.
    I havent removed the ads yet as they dont really bother me but i might give it a go if its cheap. I think i only paid like $30 each at a black friday sale. They were so cheap i couldnt say no at the time. I kept going back to buy more once i figured out they make great easy gifts.
    Other than that my galaxy tablets have been amazing. They are a bit too big to haul around the world though.

I do have another long haul flight set up that i use on the really, really long flights. I use galaxy vr with my phone. I am sure i look rediculious but once that headset goes on i literally can block out the world. Absolutely zero interuptions and its like im in a theater. Makes those long flights a touch more bearable for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12