Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Macan vs. Cayenne

Macan vs. Cayenne

Anyone have first hand experience with either/or? The Missus is looking to step up from the CTS to one or the other. Not that I doubt ANYTHING about these two choices, but looking for first hand/real life experiences. I'm certain we can't go wrong with either...

If she goes Macan, it'll most likely be a new "S" model, which is choice #UNO...

If she goes the Cayenne route, it'll DEFINITELY be a used model with as little miles as humanly possible...

If anyone has any contacts at either Nashua or Stratham, let's hear it. We'd prefer Stratham though...

And please, no copying/pasting from car enthusiast sites or spec sheets. I get it...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Re: Macan vs. Cayenne

Everyone I know who has or has had a Cayenne loves it. If they've sold it, then they say they want another one or are casually on the hunt for another one.

I don't understand the small cross over market, so the Macan to me just gives up too much over either a sedan or an SUV. It doesn't seem to add enough to offset what you give up for either of those options.

All that said, I'd rather have a panamera over either, but obviously it's also much more expensive than either.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Cayenne is very capable off road. Quite impressive really....

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

Save your money on the macan and buy the Audi sq5.

Spending that kind of coin for a compact SUV is insane. With that being said if you get a cayenne would it At least be a V8 model. It irks me that allmost every one is a shitbagging NA V6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Spending that kind of coin for a compact SUV is insane.
    I have nothing to add to this conversation other than I played around with the Porsche configuration tool and optioned a Macan S from $54,400 to $136,765 with room to go higher but I got tired of clicking ($81K over base).

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

In the event I have 140k to spend on a car I'll direct myself to the nearest benz dealership and take home a very very nice S-Class

0 Not allowed!

I can't wait to go wheelin

2 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Well, let me see Jay, My Cayenne GTS is waaaay better than my Macan Turbo. It's like .2 seconds quicker to 60 and it I can watch youtube vids while doing it. THe Macan, on the other hand fits in my 3rd garage with room for a couple of bikes. Hope this helps.

2 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Buy a left over Porsche, they seem to discount heavily on left overs. Porsche loves the ala carte pricing scheme. You can option the hell out of one and end up over double base price.
    That said, I would agree with the SQ5 vs Macan, and with the Cayenne>>Macan. The Cayenne just offers so much more. Personally I am waiting for the Panamera wagon (and a barrel of money to fall from the sky).

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

xxaarraa

Stoneman, I sent you a PM. You trading the C4?

3-4 year old Cayenne Turbos can be had for short money. Don't quote me, but I believe the previous gen Cayenne turbos sold in the US all had rear lockers (option code 'I1Y1'). I have a friend in NH who fabricates a spacer lift for them and you can fit up to 33" tires under there. I have wheeled with one and they are very cool, nothing like the tow-wreck they are based on. Macans are also very cool and seem to be holding their value better than Cayennes. Again, entirely different powertrain than the VW/Audi bullshit it's based on.

If you are in the 50-60K price range (since you are considering a new Macan), consider the 2017 Raptor as well. VERY compelling product, especially with the 802A package. When it's time for my beloved Toyota to go, that's what I'd be getting.

Macan vs. Cayenne-img_6380-jpg

Macan vs. Cayenne-20151113_073230-jpg

Macan vs. Cayenne-20151113_063321-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-08-16 at 08:11 AM.

The depreciation on a Cayenne is eye-watering. As Ash said, you can get a decade-old Turbo (well over a $120k car) for less than $20k today.

Early Cayennes had some issues. Coolant pipes (under the intake) were one and cylinder bore liners were another. Pretty much a sorted issue now, though. Don't get the "regular" Cayenne, as it has the V6. Get the Cayenne S (V8) or Turbo. Cayenne S is a great drive and, frankly, nothing that big should be that fast.

The Cayenne is built on the same chassis as the VW Touareg and, I think, the Audi Q7. I don't know if the Macan is built on a shared chassis or not. And I've never driven a Macan so can't help you there...

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 12-08-16 at 07:53 AM.
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    In the event I have 140k to spend on a car I'll direct myself to the nearest benz dealership and take home a very very nice S-Class
    A friend's wife has an AMG GLS63. It is insanely quick for something that weighs as much as a Suburban.

There's no substitute for cubic dollars. MB has an AMG GLC43 with twin turbo for only $55K and up.

AMG GLE43 is $67K and up.

0 Not allowed!

The vehicle is not for me, it'll be Big Shirl's...

SHE likes crossovers & doesn't feel all cozy in anything larger. She's under 5' tall and weighs less than 100lbs. She simply feels more comfy in something like this. She does about 20K miles/year and wants something in this size range/category...

She wants a Macan S, period. It's her money, it's her call. I have as much say in what she gets as she does when I shop. She's tossing around Cayennes only because the used market is so weak...

We're DEFINITELY looking at leftovers...

She'll likely be trading her CTS for this, but not entirely sure yet. Middle daughter is getting her license soon and we'd feel really safe giving it to her...

This vehicle will not be for my leisure. It'll serve as an office-on-wheels and a commuter. No crazy aftermarket stuff. The only off-road it'll see will be the discontinued road our woodlots are on...

She has zero interest in a Benz or Audi. She wants a Macan S. Again, it's her call...

If she finds a 2 year old Cayenne for the right price, she MAY go that route. But her heart is set on the Macan...

I can assure you that the ones she's looking at aren't anywhere near the high end prices you're posting...

She originally liked the Panamara (sp?), but a bit out of reality. Although the used market on those seems pretty soft too...

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Convince her to buy a CR-V or RAV4 and buy some new sleds with all the $$$$$ saved!

1 Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The depreciation on a Cayenne is eye-watering. As Ash said, you can get a decade-old Turbo (well over a $120k car) for less than $20k today.

Early Cayennes had some issues. Coolant pipes (under the intake) were one and cylinder bore liners were another. Pretty much a sorted issue now, though. Don't get the "regular" Cayenne, as it has the V6. Get the Cayenne S (V8) or Turbo. Cayenne S is a great drive and, frankly, nothing that big should be that fast.

The Cayenne is built on the same chassis as the VW Touareg and, I think, the Audi Q7. I don't know if the Macan is built on a shared chassis or not. And I've never driven a Macan so can't help you there...
    Might have to switch over to the Cayenne... depending on what happens w/ the 3.0L diesels.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

She'd be better off with a FWD sedan and snow tires...

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    The vehicle is not for me, it'll be Big Shirl's...

SHE likes crossovers & doesn't feel all cozy in anything larger. She's under 5' tall and weighs less than 100lbs. She simply feels more comfy in something like this. She does about 20K miles/year and wants something in this size range/category...

She wants a Macan S, period. It's her money, it's her call. I have as much say in what she gets as she does when I shop. She's tossing around Cayennes only because the used market is so weak...

We're DEFINITELY looking at leftovers...

She'll likely be trading her CTS for this, but not entirely sure yet. Middle daughter is getting her license soon and we'd feel really safe giving it to her...

This vehicle will not be for my leisure. It'll serve as an office-on-wheels and a commuter. No crazy aftermarket stuff. The only off-road it'll see will be the discontinued road our woodlots are on...

She has zero interest in a Benz or Audi. She wants a Macan S. Again, it's her call...

If she finds a 2 year old Cayenne for the right price, she MAY go that route. But her heart is set on the Macan...

I can assure you that the ones she's looking at aren't anywhere near the high end prices you're posting...

She originally liked the Panamara (sp?), but a bit out of reality. Although the used market on those seems pretty soft too...

Thanks!
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say she should buy a fucking Macan...

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Middle daughter is getting her license soon...
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!?!

1 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!?!
    it's almost 2017, my grand daughter is in her 3rd year of college, kids grow up even if you don't

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    it's almost 2017, my grand daughter is in her 3rd year of college, kids grow up even if you don't
    Wow, you are on a one way train to GREAT-grandpa town!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Wow, you are on a one way train to GREAT-grandpa town!
    past that milestone several years ago, its my youngest granddaughter that is still in college, my oldest great grandchild is almost a teenager, we have 5 generations sitting at the dinner table on holidays at my dad's house

4 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I guess you're getting a Macan... enjoy.

But keep an eye out for a nice used Panamera... I'm seriously thinking about moving in to one next year.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Typical NESR winter-mode. Simple opinion request with two options posted, followed by multiple responses of "fuck that, you should get......"

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Typical NESR winter-mode. Simple opinion request with two options posted, followed by multiple responses of "fuck that, you should get......"
    You mean the single post? From a guy who works in the auto industry, and who still offered a point on the Cayenne.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    You mean the single post? From a guy who works in the auto industry, and who still offered a point on the Cayenne.
    that asshole

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast