Results 1 to 18 of 18

Martial Arts for Kids

  1. #1
    Posting Freak Karate.Snoopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westborough
    Posts
    873
    iTrader Score
    0

    Martial Arts for Kids

    My kids started Villaris system last year. They learnt a few combinations etc, got their orange belt (white/yellow/orange). Having observed and participated in their system for a few months I believe they have okay techniques but a lot of frills,Very choreographed. I worry about the effectiveness against some one mildly trained.
    My boys are 5 and 7, I am looking into BJJ/MuayThai and have put them up for a trial class next week.

    What are your kids into and what has your & their experience been in any forms of Martial Arts?

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Hand Bra Designer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Goshen, NH
    Posts
    8,571
    iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Took my son to try Brazilian JuJitsu, which seems a very practical discipline and is the basis for a lot of military hand-to-gland training.

    He liked it OK but didn't go back. My daughter loves it.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-10-17 at 03:37 AM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

  3. #3
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    65
    Posts
    12,148
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    my son wanted me to become a hockey dad

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  4. #4
    Lifer NPDCPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North of Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,212
    iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    My son started at the Academy of Marketing to Kids, errrr...I mean the Academy of Traditional Karate in Wilmington. They use the same technique as Mr. Miyagi. True story. My son has had a blast there and started when he was 5 or so and is now 13 and climbing the ladder of degrees on his black belt. He loves karate and has no problems with the dojo, but they are over the top with the marketing and heavy handed soft sell to the kids.

    Oh yeah, back to the karate. He loves it and plans to keep going. Little bastard is going to be able to kick my ass once he gets some puberty weight to him. Dang!!

    1 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Posting Freak Karate.Snoopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westborough
    Posts
    873
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    Little bastard is going to be able to kick my ass once he gets some puberty weight to him. Dang!!
    Both of mine are already kicking the snot out me, mostly stealthy coordinated attacks. I like Karate myself but I am slowing down now.

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    3,867
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Tried to get my son into Taekwondo at the local place to build some muscle control and balance. He wasn't at all interested. I am jealous of you guys that have kids that will do that.

    0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  7. #7
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Augusta
    Posts
    1,262
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    My kids started Villaris system last year. They learnt a few combinations etc, got their orange belt (white/yellow/orange). Having observed and participated in their system for a few months I believe they have okay techniques but a lot of frills,Very choreographed. I worry about the effectiveness against some one mildly trained.
    My boys are 5 and 7, I am looking into BJJ/MuayThai and have put them up for a trial class next week.

    What are your kids into and what has your & their experience been in any forms of Martial Arts?

    My boys did both Isshin Ryu and then Shotokan for many years. It was a good self confidence builder for my oldest, and they are both very capable. No regrets on the time/$.

    1 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Junior Member Tom M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    43
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    My son tried karate when he was about 7 years old and didn't like it. He moved on to hockey and stuck with it until he was about 16.

    My daughter decided on her own that she wanted to try martial arts when she was about 9. She went on to become a 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo before she finished high school, but more importantly she decided that she wanted to become a school teacher after her experience teaching little kids at her TKD school. She'll be finishing her education degree this semester. I'm very happy that TKD helped her find a direction in life.

    2 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Large member Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Limington maine
    Posts
    206
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    My kids started Villaris system last year. They learnt a few combinations etc, got their orange belt (white/yellow/orange). Having observed and participated in their system for a few months I believe they have okay techniques but a lot of frills,Very choreographed. I worry about the effectiveness against some one mildly trained.
    My boys are 5 and 7, I am looking into BJJ/MuayThai and have put them up for a trial class next week.

    What are your kids into and what has your & their experience been in any forms of Martial Arts?
    I'm a bit biased because my wife has owned and operated a Villaris school in Maine for over 20 years and is a 6th degree Master. There is much more to martial arts then learning to fight or defend yourself and at orange belt you have not even begun to scratch the surface! It's not uncommon for people to think you can learn self defense in a 4 week trial class but it is simply not possible! You can learn a few 'moves' that will make you over confident and possibly get you into an altercation that would not happen otherwise.
    Kids (and adults) are taught the 5 rules of the school; Effort, Etiquette, Character, Sincerity, and Self-Control. These are the underlying principles that are being taught and are intended to keep you out of trouble first, and defend yourself only if absolutely necessary.
    It may look like frills and choreographed but everything has a purpose that may not become evident until further in training. Karate Kid had to 'Wax on and Wax off' for a reason! He was learning to block!
    Anyway, there is no perfect or superior martial art. It's all about finding a school that has the ability to get through to people using the arts.
    My wife has always said she doesn't teach martial arts but uses the arts to teach life skills.
    Villaris of Standish Home - Villaris of Standish

    Hope this will help you find the best school for your kids to train. Maybe not a Villaris but that's okay too!

    1 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Senior Member hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    428
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    My son started at the Academy of Marketing to Kids, errrr...I mean the Academy of Traditional Karate in Wilmington. They use the same technique as Mr. Miyagi. True story. My son has had a blast there and started when he was 5 or so and is now 13 and climbing the ladder of degrees on his black belt. He loves karate and has no problems with the dojo, but they are over the top with the marketing and heavy handed soft sell to the kids.

    Oh yeah, back to the karate. He loves it and plans to keep going. Little bastard is going to be able to kick my ass once he gets some puberty weight to him. Dang!!
    I believe that dojo teaches Goju which was developed by Miyagi sensei. I am a shodan in Goju and it was the first martial art to be given a name by the Japanese government. I have not yet visited that school but I have heard that past their selling, they do have a good program. The key is not to burn them out by taking them way to much and always making sure they are challenged. Don't let them fixate on when they are getting another belt but help to always steer them to the lesson at hand. Talk to the sensei if they start to get complacent and if he is any good should be able to re-direct them, with out making them feel bad. My son trained in Goju with me till he was 14, holds shodan himself. Now as a freshman in highschool he wants to play soccer and run track. Only a couple of months out of the dojo and he's already missing it. He'll be back. By the way, we train at Karate international, in Salem, Ma. And our dojo and sensei's were all taught by Merriman Sensei. Best of luck to you on your quest to find the right dojo for them. Don't let it be about the style, let it be about what fits them and the right feeling when they leave class. Of course becareful of the McDojo's. We all know there are way to many of them.

    0 Not allowed!
    Steven

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rockland
    Posts
    226
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    is 4 year old, old enough to start looking into programs like that or Karate/judo, he doesn't need it but I want him to try it just not sure at what age? thx

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Posting Freak Karate.Snoopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westborough
    Posts
    873
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    is 4 year old, old enough to start looking into programs like that or Karate/judo, he doesn't need it but I want him to try it just not sure at what age? thx
    My 4 year old definitely enjoys it and has built up tremendous reflex, some days he will ask me to put on Rocky Music and put my over sized Boxing gloves and go at the HeavyBag. Of course other days he treats his belt like a chewtoy and pays ZERO attention in class.

    1 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Giggity Giggity Goooooooo JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,104
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Very good friend owns an MMA/muay thai/bjj gym in Mendon if that's not too far. They do kids classes, and I've known all of the staff for a number of years. Let me know if you'd like their info.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Posting Freak Karate.Snoopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westborough
    Posts
    873
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Very good friend owns an MMA/muay thai/bjj gym in Mendon if that's not too far. They do kids classes, and I've known all of the staff for a number of years. Let me know if you'd like their info.
    Thanks pal, Mendon might be too far but I appreciate the offer

    0 Not allowed!

  15. #15

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    I did Tae Kwon Do from age 5 till age 12. I was being trained by a guy who was on the South Korean Olympic team and trained them for a bit (I can't confirm if it was like that "best of the best" movie). I was a 3rd degree black belt and was training for the Junior olympics tryouts in Florida. I will say that growing up i still got into fights and got my ass kicked a time or two. I will say that Tournament style martial arts (punching kicking) didn't do much for school yard fights with kids older and hitting puberty already. Sure i could do spinning heal kick and probably concuss the bully but what good is that shit when she's doing ground and pound from a mounted position while out weighing me by 25 pounds er i mean him. I was bean pole growing up. It wasn't pratical for self defense. Sure it gave me confidence and i did well in school academically and was social but I'm Asian.

    Later on when I was 12 and had a huge growth spurt i got bumped out of my competitive weight class where I had a size reach advantage to the bottom of the next weight class. I later realized that choosing to go play hockey hurt a lot less. I still appluad my parents for the 5am hockey practices where they slept in the car before bringing me to school and them going to work. Nevermind the joys of outgrowing my $1k gear every single year plus paying the $3k plus each year for travel teams through peewee, bantam, high school and junior hockey. When I tried college hockey I had to pay myself

    If i could do it again, I would do BJJ after doing the Tae Kwon Do/Karate stuff from like 4-8 years old. It would give me the discipline to practice, confidence to perform and social skills around my peers before doing something that was more practical. BJJ would have been great with flexibility while growing up and gave more practical self defense techniques. Plus you can go full out without all the black and blue markets. After some time with BJJ I think kids nowadays can train in MMA. If they have the temperment and control then i think MMA is so common now that they can get some practical lessons as kids.

    1 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Posting Freak Karate.Snoopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westborough
    Posts
    873
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidavong View Post
    If i could do it again, I would do BJJ after doing the Tae Kwon Do/Karate stuff from like 4-8 years old. It would give me the discipline to practice, confidence to perform and social skills around my peers before doing something that was more practical. BJJ would have been great with flexibility while growing up and gave more practical self defense techniques. Plus you can go full out without all the black and blue markets. After some time with BJJ I think kids nowadays can train in MMA. If they have the temperment and control then i think MMA is so common now that they can get some practical lessons as kids.
    I agree, my 4 year old is too small to have a 6 year old be on his back, he may need to wait for BJJ or put some more meat on his bones.

    0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Natick
    Posts
    1,218
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    I agree, my 4 year old is too small to have a 6 year old be on his back, he may need to wait for BJJ or put some more meat on his bones.
    I tried to get my daughter interested at 5.. and she didn't want to go back after a simple get to know/see the place. Now she's 7, and the little one is 5 and they are thinking about it.. what is really cool was my wife actually said: "you think they have a place that has both kids and adults at the same time, we should all go as a family.. one place one time". Although most places are pretty small, I thought that this would be a great idea. Sadly, I haven't found a place that has both at the same time. Apparently in other states etc it's popular, but not in MA.

    I started martial arts myself around 8/9 and have experience with a lot of different styles ending with wing chun/jeet kun do in my college years. I feel that depending on my age I liked each different style more. JKD was the most fun in college because I hurt my knee playing football, so the tkd was really hard to keep up with. I did not like the judo much, and aikido was pretty punishing on my joints, although that might be the most practical school yard fighting (or BJJ and mma). I just hope a few tricks could get my kids out of trouble, but don't want them at all grounding or pounding/being pounded!

    If you find some cool places Karate Snoopy, I'd love to hear.. I live in Natick and don't think I can find what I want near.. maybe out in your neck of the woods it's not too far to take the family if such a group class exists!

    0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Posting Freak Karate.Snoopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Westborough
    Posts
    873
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Martial Arts for Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    If you find some cool places Karate Snoopy, I'd love to hear.. I live in Natick and don't think I can find what I want near.. maybe out in your neck of the woods it's not too far to take the family if such a group class exists!
    I hear you pal, none of the dojos around me have a class with kids and adults class at the same time. I think that would be tremendous. Although I have heard rumors of one Kenpo/Karate place trying it out but its already been 6 months since with no substantial moves.
    I will probably keep my boys where they are for now, their instructor is phenomenal

    0 Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •