Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mattress shopping

Mattress shopping

Whoa. Where to begin...

I'm shopping for a California King mattress. I went to Jordan's and was inundated with different brands, types, and materials. All of which, of course, felt better than the old POS I had been sleeping on whether firm or plush.

I'm looking for a good quality to value ratio without falling for sales pitch and gimmicks.

Anyone work in the industry to shed some light on the subject?

0 Not allowed!

Re: Mattress shopping

I went through this earlier in 2016. Everything short of the ultra cheap mattresses feel good in the store especially if your current one is in rough shape. We had a pretty expensive mattress that lost its support while still within its warranty period, however the company wouldn't cover it because the top layer sprung back too far. They weren't interested in the fact that it wasn't supporting my weight and basically told me to pound stand. With that bad taste in my mouth, my wife and I were open to trying alternatives to the big box store name brands.

Because I had been researching mattresses, I started seeing lots of ads for mail order foam mattresses like the Ghost Bed, Casper, etc. With a bunch of research and overall good reviews, we decided to give the Ghost Bed mattress a try (GhostBed Mattress: Built For Supernatural Comfort | Ghost Bed). It's significantly cheaper than the big name brands, you can try it out no risk for over 3 months, and the warranty at least on paper seems to be pretty good. If something were to go wrong down the road, I can replace it 3 times and still be under the cost of our last mattress. So far it's been great. My quality of sleep has improved and my wife says I barely stir or talk in my sleep anymore. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check some of them out. I have a normal King but they do have California Kings for under a grand.

2 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

The mark-up on mattresses is huge. I went to the local Sleepy's on a sale day (Labor Day weekend?) where they were advertising 25% off. I think I offered 60% of the already-on-sale-price for a regular King and they took it without haggling. Obviously I should have gone lower..!

Also, mattress salesmen are weird.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

My buddy's parents have a luxury apartment in Philly, a bunch of us went to hang out there for a weekend over the summer. They've got a big family, so there's like 9 beds - everyone that slept over that weekend was like "OMG these beds are amazing!" Before we left, I checked the mattress tags: "tempurpedic Cloud LT"

Not really happy with our $1500 Simmons beautyrest plush-firm pocket coil mattress - pretty bad body impression after only 4 years.

0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Did you work with one of the sales people at Jordan's? My experience was great there. They imaged pressure points, I gave them my budget, and he walked me around to all of my options explaining the pros and cons of all of them. I'd definitely shop there again.

My next mattress will definitely be latex though. Read up on it.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I went through this earlier in 2016. Everything short of the ultra cheap mattresses feel good in the store especially if your current one is in rough shape. We had a pretty expensive mattress that lost its support while still within its warranty period, however the company wouldn't cover it because the top layer sprung back too far. They weren't interested in the fact that it wasn't supporting my weight and basically told me to pound stand. With that bad taste in my mouth, my wife and I were open to trying alternatives to the big box store name brands.

Because I had been researching mattresses, I started seeing lots of ads for mail order foam mattresses like the Ghost Bed, Casper, etc. With a bunch of research and overall good reviews, we decided to give the Ghost Bed mattress a try (GhostBed Mattress: Built For Supernatural Comfort | Ghost Bed). It's significantly cheaper than the big name brands, you can try it out no risk for over 3 months, and the warranty at least on paper seems to be pretty good. If something were to go wrong down the road, I can replace it 3 times and still be under the cost of our last mattress. So far it's been great. My quality of sleep has improved and my wife says I barely stir or talk in my sleep anymore. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check some of them out. I have a normal King but they do have California Kings for under a grand.
    The salesman explained that they hold a string taught end to end and measure down for sag. WTF. If it is over and inch they will replace. I don't see that ever happening. Plus if they find the slightest tear or stain they can claim it was compromised and void. I'm not sure I see myself keeping a mattress for 15 years whether the warranty lasts that long or not.

I'm weary of buying sight unseen but I will be sure to check out ghost and the other onlines. Thanks for the input.

0 Not allowed!

Went with Leesa online mattress company, very happy.

0 Not allowed!

It was that measurement that got me. With weight on it, the mattress was sagging badly. It would eventually recover to something not even close to being out of their spec so no claim for me despite being miserable. The insignificant stain that voids their warranty is a load of horseshit too.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Did you work with one of the sales people at Jordan's? My experience was great there. They imaged pressure points, I gave them my budget, and he walked me around to all of my options explaining the pros and cons of all of them. I'd definitely shop there again.

My next mattress will definitely be latex though. Read up on it.
    Yes I did. The imaging was interesting, not sure if legit or gimmick? I have purchased furniture from them in the past. 0% for 60 months and free shipping always helps. All the mattresses they sell are made in the USA, some if not most were made in Massachusetts surprisingly. Did you try to haggle on the price with them? Were they receptive?

Latex seems to be the big thing in mattresses but all were out of my price range of I remember correctly.

0 Not allowed!

Sealy Radiance Gold mattress in queen size. Approx $1800 and does not need a box spring. 3" gel(cooling) top. All of my back problems disappeared three nights after we started sleeping on it. Highly recommend checking one out! My gf got them down to $1024 +tax. Mark-up is crazy!

0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Yes I did. The imaging was interesting, not sure if legit or gimmick? I have purchased furniture from them in the past. 0% for 60 months and free shipping always helps. All the mattresses they sell are made in the USA, some if not most were made in Massachusetts surprisingly. Did you try to haggle on the price with them? Were they receptive?

Latex seems to be the big thing in mattresses but all were out of my price range of I remember correctly.
    I can't say whether the imaging is a gimmick or not, but I know when I sleep on a mattress that isn't mine I feel it the next day. I bought a mid grade coil spring with a pillow top, I was about $1900 all in, that included some awesome pillows. You have to get fitted for pillows too, it's critical. I didn't haggle with then, but I should have.

I've had it for over 3 years and it's as good as it was new. At the 5 year mark I'm going to rotate it to my guest room and spend the $5k on latex.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Get a mattress and 3" memory foam topper from Costco. Fantastic.

0 Not allowed!

Bobs

0 Not allowed!

We got one of the generic 12" foam guys that they sell on Amazon. $350 for a king. Got it late February and so far so good. Got sick of the mattress bs you get in stores and I'd rather replace this more often assuming that it comes to that. Last mattress was Bob's top of the line traditional and it got lumpy fast with two relatively light people sleeping on it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Crimedog; 01-22-17 at 11:16 PM.

Gardner mattresses are locally made, usually have a sale on this time of year. Been using nothing but since 1985. Salem and Newton.

home : Gardner Mattress

1 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Sam's Club was our best deal....

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    Get a mattress and 3" memory foam topper from Costco. Fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Bobs
    Were I to do it over again I think I'd be going one of these routes.

I have a king size Jordans-o-pedic foam mattress that cost a mint. Ex picked it. I want to hate it but it is comfortable and I usually sleep well. I don't rotate it enough and it is definitely starting to sag where I sleep. I think it is 4 or 5 years old now.

Kings are too big. Queen is the biggest I'll ever buy again.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I have a Sleep Number that I got on sale. Glorified air mattress but after three years it is still perfect. No air leaks, no sagging, and I can adjust the firmness based upon how I feel.

0 Not allowed!

Didn't read any of this, but mattress shopping sucks. I have a Casper and my wife and I love it. We both have back issues and it suits us both really well. Best of all, no dealing with mattress salespeople. There are $50 off coupons readily available online. I think they have a 100 night free return thing too.

Shop the Mattress Online, Free Delivery & Returns
    | Casper(R)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Kings are too big. Queen is the biggest I'll ever buy again.
    I've never seen anything so wrong on this forum outside of the wonder twins in controversial topics.

2 Not allowed!

I have a latex foam King Koil, it's the first foam mattress I ever had, and probably the longest I ever stayed with one mattress, 13 years so far, and I'm not even thinking of replacing it, don't remember what I paid, but it was the most I ever spent on a bed. I remember the big difference is that the edges are constructed so that if you sleep right on the edge, ya won't roll off. I hate falling out of bed.

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

All I have is this.

Mattress Direct Of Wallingford | Facebook

Brought it about a year ago, tried the big box stores, then the mattress places, and got annoyed with the crap. This popped up in my facebook feed, Its a local guy, he's super knowegable, and gives it to you straight.

even after we got the mateeress, we had an issue with the box spring, and John, came out and took care of it.

I couldn't recommend him any higher. And actually I still keep in touch with the guy, (for car stuff)

Its worth hitting him up on facebook, not sure how long of a drive it would be for you to CT or If he could deliver way out to you.

Tell him Joe from Lexus sent you.

0 Not allowed!

There really are lots of happy people with the mail order foam mattresses. I'll reiterate that it's worth checking them all out.
    ...decided to give the Ghost Bed mattress a try... So far it's been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    Went with Leesa online mattress company, very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I have a Casper and my wife and I love it.

0 Not allowed!

I put a $100 mail-order 4" foam mattress in my track/race-day trailer. I sleep like a rock on that bunk. It kind of amazes me.

0 Not allowed!

our regular sprung mattress is dented pretty bad so we are in the market for a new one as well...we have latex pillows which i like...i don't like a soft bed or to sink into the bed cause it's too hot for me so the pillow top beds are out...at the same time my wife is always cold and piles on the blankets...i wonder if something like this would work...are you able to flip the mattress over or can you only sleep on one side of it?...or is there no need to flip it since it's latex?...we usually try to rotate the bed but it's so dented now that it doesn't matter anymore and we are not able to flip it due to the design...so ghostbed, casper, leesa...any other recommendations to look at?...i imagine there isn't anywhere to check these out in person?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 01-23-17 at 10:40 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast