Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mattress shopping

Re: Mattress shopping

Bought one of these http://a.co/grJBHgz almost 4 years ago.

It's great.

King Coil fucked us on warranty of our previous mattress even though the thing was sagged to shit. "It's discolored, void". Yeah, no shit it is. It's called sweat.

We got our king for around $500 (shipped free 2 day via prime!). It still is great.

I'll happily replace it every 5 years and have a fresh mattress than believe that you should sleep on anything for 20 years just because the warranty says so. And after 15 years, I'm still under what most people will pay for a single mattress after buying 3 of them.

The same people who pay two or three grand for a mattress or that you WANT to keep one that long are the same people who believe the salesperson who sells you VIN etching and undercoating for your car. Smarten the fuck up, people.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 01-23-17 at 10:35 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    our regular sprung mattress is dented pretty bad so we are in the market for a new one as well...we have latex pillows which i like...i don't like a soft bed or to sink into the bed cause it's too hot for me so the pillow top beds are out...at the same time my wife is always cold and piles on the blankets...i wonder if something like this would work...are you able to flip the mattress over or can you only sleep on one side of it?...or is there no need to flip it since it's latex?...we usually try to rotate the bed but it's so dented now that it doesn't matter anymore and we are not able to flip it due to the design...so ghostbed, casper, leesa...any other recommendations to look at?...i imagine there isn't anywhere to check these out in person?
    Unfortunately, all the mail order foam mattresses I'm familiar with have a stack-up of different foam layers which means you can't flip them. I haven't had mine long enough to find out if it will get body impressions, and if so, how bad they become. From what I've read, they all hold up fairly well. I'm pretty heavy and I tend to do a lot of side sleeping so if anyone will screw up their mattress, it'll be me.

There are quite a few options now for mail order mattresses. The ones I listed are some of the bigger names but some others are Sleep Innovation (the one Clayton had good luck with), Purple (slightly different top layer), Tuft & Needle (no memory foam), and even some of the big name brands are offering mail order equivalents. If you search around, you will find a lot of options.

Save for the big name brands that also have brick and mortar infrastructure, I'm unaware of a place where you can check the truly mail order options out in person. This is why most of them have a 3+ month evaluation period so you can try them out without risk. I found no reason to return my Ghost Bed which is a good thing because I'm not sure how the logistics of repackaging one of these mattresses for shipment works. Not being able to see the mattress in person was the hardest obstacle for me to overcome but the value prospect overrode that thought. I've been sleeping great ever since and it appears that plenty of other people, even in this small community, are having similar results with other brands.

I will note that the first night of sleeping on a foam mattress was odd coming from a traditional spring and pillow top. You quickly get used to how foam mattresses feel and then you wonder why you put up with your crappy worn out mattress for so long!

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Unfortunately, all the mail order foam mattresses I'm familiar with have a stack-up of different foam layers which means you can't flip them. I haven't had mine long enough to find out if it will get body impressions, and if so, how bad they become. From what I've read, they all hold up fairly well. I'm pretty heavy and I tend to do a lot of side sleeping so if anyone will screw up their mattress, it'll be me.

There are quite a few options now for mail order mattresses. The ones I listed are some of the bigger names but some others are Sleep Innovation (the one Clayton had good luck with), Purple (slightly different top layer), Tuft & Needle (no memory foam), and even some of the big name brands are offering mail order equivalents. If you search around, you will find a lot of options.

Save for the big name brands that also have brick and mortar infrastructure, I'm unaware of a place where you can check the truly mail order options out in person. This is why most of them have a 3+ month evaluation period so you can try them out without risk. I found no reason to return my Ghost Bed which is a good thing because I'm not sure how the logistics of repackaging one of these mattresses for shipment works. Not being able to see the mattress in person was the hardest obstacle for me to overcome but the value prospect overrode that thought. I've been sleeping great ever since and it appears that plenty of other people, even in this small community, are having similar results with other brands.

I will note that the first night of sleeping on a foam mattress was odd coming from a traditional spring and pillow top. You quickly get used to how foam mattresses feel and then you wonder why you put up with your crappy worn out mattress for so long!
    thanks...that helps a ton...i'll have to do a little homework to figure out which will work best for us but i think we are going to go this way as well...like you said the price savings and trial period override everything else...so far these are the companies i have come across here and online...if anyone has any more to add to the list to check out let me know...
    ghostbed
    casper
    leesa
    helix
    lucid
    purple
    tuft and needle

0 Not allowed!

And in keeping with the NESR winter spirit, because I chose Ghostbed, everyone else is wrong!

1 Not allowed!

Thinking of going the online route considering the cost savings and the fact that warranties basically mean nothing.

Not so sure about the "edge hold" on the all foam options.

0 Not allowed!

Most traditional mattresses that are advertised as having enhanced edge support have a ring of foam around the periphery which is what these mail order mattresses are made of. I've had no issues with edge support on mine.

0 Not allowed!

I don't know anything about mattresses but the lady friend has a king size tempurpedic and the thing is a gift from god.

I don't really have anything of value to add to this thread... I just really love that mattress.

0 Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

We took the Pepsi challenge and got a Casper and generally love it. I'm a stomach sleeper so pretty much always struggle with comfort issues from time to time. You can't flip the Casper, but you can rotate it which definitely seems to help. You can also use it with or without a box spring to adjust firmness. We're at least a couple years in and still quite happy.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

I went to a ton of different stores before finally buying a queen memory foam mattress at Sam's Club for like $250 when they had a mega online sale. It shipped for free and was easy to setup. I was worried because I couldn't try it out beforehand but I've been enjoying it a year later.

0 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

I'd recommend this testing procedure:

Also, latex is where it's at the full latex can be expensive, check for a hybrid memory foam / latex for 1/4 the price.

1 Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

We're in the market again and will not be buying another full foam mattress. We had a mid Bob-O-Pedic, which lasted 5 years and a Jordan-O-Pedic that lasted 8. Both caved almost the same way.

We will be going the Sleep Number route this time. We'll probably go the "P" series route around President's Day, since that's when the biggest sales seem to happen. With Sleep Number, you have to watch it though, every little thing is an up-charge.

Anyone have experience with buying of these and haggling on price? Or are they pretty much set in stone on their price?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by The Snowman; 01-23-17 at 03:34 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

IKEA natural latex mattress. Not very expensive for natural latex. Not the thickest, but more than sufficient. Can be rotated and flipped. I wanted it hard, so I just placed some 3/4 birch plywood on top of my old box spring for a flat surface to place the mattress on. If you want, you can add a topper for the plush feel.

MORGONGAVA Natural latex mattress - Queen - IKEA

Supposedly the latex/rubber mattress will not break down over time. The rubber is supposed to rebound back to its original shape and not deform. The foam mattresses deteriorate and break down over time leading to the sinkhole. So far my mattress has performed well. Think I have had it for 5 years or so now.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PeaPod; 01-23-17 at 07:17 PM.

or this testing procedure ... around 0:58

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by AEG; 01-23-17 at 07:15 PM.

Tuft & Needle, we are SO satisfied with it. It's been almost two years and still love going to bed at night. Very good price.

They deliver it compressed in a box, and it forms pretty quickly soon as you open it.

Instant happiness:

Seriously, two years later and my wife still thanks me for it on the regular.

Return policy is cool - if you don't like it, you just donate it, show them the receipt and you get all your money back.

Everyone's got different sleeping needs/taste but this was a total win for us!

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

7 buyers of 6 different brands so far and everyone has been happy.

...decided to give the Ghost Bed mattress a try... So far it's been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    Went with Leesa online mattress company, very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I have a Casper and my wife and I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    ...mail-order 4" foam mattress... I sleep like a rock on that bunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Bought one of these http://a.co/grJBHgz (Sleep Innovations) almost 4 years ago. It's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    ...got a Casper and generally love it. We're at least a couple years in and still quite happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Tuft & Needle, we are SO satisfied with it. It's been almost two years and still love going to bed at night.
    Even a couple foam mattresses from Sam's and IKEA with favorable results too.

0 Not allowed!

7 buyers of 6 different brands so far and everyone has been happy.

Even a couple foam mattresses from Sam's and IKEA with favorable results too.
    ended up going with ghostbed for a king...we were both a little sore the first couple nights but it's fine now...wish i had your info...i didn't realize i could have got you a $50 referral

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    ended up going with ghostbed for a king...we were both a little sore the first couple nights but it's fine now...wish i had your info...i didn't realize i could have got you a $50 referral
    That's OK. I didn't realize they had a referral program either. I don't remember being sore the first couple of nights with mine but the sensation of sleeping on it was definitely different than what I was used to. It worked out for my wife and me and hopefully it will for you too.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    We're in the market again and will not be buying another full foam mattress. We had a mid Bob-O-Pedic, which lasted 5 years and a Jordan-O-Pedic that lasted 8. Both caved almost the same way.

We will be going the Sleep Number route this time. We'll probably go the "P" series route around President's Day, since that's when the biggest sales seem to happen. With Sleep Number, you have to watch it though, every little thing is an up-charge.

Anyone have experience with buying of these and haggling on price? Or are they pretty much set in stone on their price?
    I bought one about two years ago around one of the big holidays. I shopped around but didn't really find any negligible savings. People will say what they want, that it is a glorified air mattress or that it is all gimmicks, but I have never had a better sleep even after sleeping a bit in college on some of these foam mattresses mentioned. After all, we do all but into gimmicky shit on motorcycles and spend money on gear without batting an eye.

0 Not allowed!

Here is another brand to consider: NECTAR - The Most Comfortable Mattress
    I found it while scrolling this review site - Nectar mattress review - World's only forever warranty and 365 nights trial

0 Not allowed!

So... what is the SV of mail order mattresses? Has the hivemind put this one to rest yet?

0 Not allowed!

The Perfect Memory Foam Mattress - Loom & Leaf - claim to be as good as tempur-pedic at 1/2 the price

0 Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

So, 5 nights on the Sleep Number and I have to say that the last couple of nights have been the best sleep I've had in years. It took a couple of nights to tweak my number, but once it was dialed in, wow!

We ended up with the iLE model, which is the limited edition that comes out twice a year in Feb and Sep. It came w/ the SleepIQ, which measures your heart rate and breathing rate. It also tells you how much you've been restless. It links to a smartphone app, which is pretty cool.

0 Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

got an email from ghostbed about a survey...they say you will get a $50 ghostbed gift card...what they don't tell you is it expires 72 hours after you get it...wish i would have known...i would have probably kept the survey email till i needed a new pillow or something

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Tuft & Needle, we are SO satisfied with it. It's been almost two years and still love going to bed at night. Very good price.

They deliver it compressed in a box, and it forms pretty quickly soon as you open it.

Instant happiness:

Seriously, two years later and my wife still thanks me for it on the regular.

Return policy is cool - if you don't like it, you just donate it, show them the receipt and you get all your money back.

Everyone's got different sleeping needs/taste but this was a total win for us!
    Went with Tuft and Needle, it showed up Monday. 2 nights later we're very happy with it. Half the price of the mattress it replaced.

Thank you for the recommendation.

1 Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast