Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mayor Menino can LICK MY ASS

"Menino said he may invoke a state law, never before used in Boston, allowing him to ban the sale or distribution of alcohol 'in cases of riot or great public excitement.' Menino also said that he will ask bar and restaurant operators today to ban live television coverage during games, because it incites fans."

Great, so now the 55,000 fans who went out to bars in the Fenway area and were entirely responsible adults get to take responsibility for the few hundred who were drunk and unruly. Does anyone else think that perhaps the Mayor ought to FUCKING GET SOME COPS OUT rather than cut off eveyone else's fun? On the night all this shit hit the fan (Game 7) I was out at Boston Beer Works... It was exciting, yeah, but it was only a rare few that were truly out of control, and the cops seemed to have no idea how to control it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Typical knee jerk reaction when the state fucks up..

Teach police officers trigger discipline versus.. *its less than lethal* Pick your target..aim.. fire for efficiency not effect. Snipe Don't spray and pray.. Which is what this fool did in the middle of a crowd. Fuckin idiot!

Shiney new weapon + young over-zealous cop = dead young woman.

What the police don't tell you is that these less than lethal rounds are ltl at 20' with clothing.. at 3' in the face someone gets hurt or worse... I am so pissed right now at this whole situation. And more so at how the local gov. wants to rectify the solution. Dumb fucking cop gives sports fans a bad name.. gives card carrying NRA members another struggle.. gives all law enforcement a black eye.

Scott Major
    Ferrari Fix it Club Racing
    ALMS, SCCA, LRRS, CCS, FUSA #'s 161, 62, 676, 661, 205, 12, 60, 89...

Karloff? Sidekick? FUCK YOU!! That cocksucker does not deserve to smell my shit!

Littering and........

Originally posted by RSVMILLE661
    Typical knee jerk reaction when the state fucks up..

Teach police officers trigger discipline versus.. *its less than lethal* Pick your target..aim.. fire for efficiency not effect. Snipe Don't spray and pray.. Which is what this fool did in the middle of a crowd. Fuckin idiot!

Shiney new weapon + young over-zealous cop = dead young woman.

What the police don't tell you is that these less than lethal rounds are ltl at 20' with clothing.. at 3' in the face someone gets hurt or worse... I am so pissed right now at this whole situation. And more so at how the local gov. wants to rectify the solution. Dumb fucking cop gives sports fans a bad name.. gives card carrying NRA members another struggle.. gives all law enforcement a black eye.
    While I would agree that this sounds like an idiot cop, I think cops get a bad rap too often for things that aren't their fault.

Its easy for us, from the security of wherever we happen to be typing, to judge a police officer's actions in a moment like that. But when you are standing in a police uniform in the middle of a riot, and people are throwing flaming toilet paper at you, you're going to feel quite a bit different.

Also, I dont think anybody has good enough aim with one of those bean bag guns to shoot someone in the eye, it was probably just an unfortunate accident.

Either way, it really sucks.

Lifer

That same night there was a riot on the UVM campus. About 1000 students went out and started bon fires, ripping fences down, tearing down street lights, and tipping over a car. The campus police and the Burlington police department showed up to disperse the crowd with pepper spray and paintball guns with rubber pellets, sheilds, hats, and bats.
    Afterwards the news crews showed up to cover it, some little piss ant got up on camera and was complaining because he got hit with a rubber bullet. "I wasn't even doing anything". He was showing the welt (about the size of a nickel, might even turn black and blue in a day or two). A few other privilaged children were bitching because they got nailed with pepper spray, and it stung. No shit, that's what it is supposed to do.
    Personally I think the Burlington police did an excellent job at diffusing a volital situation, and this should be used as an example on how to disperse mobs. Maybe a few people got clipped who weren't at the heart of it. But, mobs and riots get treated as a single unit, so if you are there, you are guilty. If you don't want to catch a rubber bullet, don't go to the riots, or if you are there, leave when you see the cops coming. Simple math...
    The situation in Boston is tragic, The officer overreacted, it is also very easy for us as seperated observers to "Monday Morning Quarterback" the reactions. We will never know all of the details around it. As usual the state is trying to put on a good face to "make sure this will never happen again".
    How on Gods Green Earth can a person link the sale of alchohol during the broadcast of sports events as the only cause of a riot. The pressure for this had been building for weeks, and yet again the entire population is going to have to suffer because of a few bad examples. Instead of banning alchohol, how about better methods of crowd control, better planning, etc. Just my 2 cents worth...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I don't blame Menino one bit. It sucks for the people who do abide by the rules, but I think the safety of the general public trumps the World Series.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Originally posted by bentbryan
    I don't blame Menino one bit. It sucks for the people who do abide by the rules, but I think the safety of the general public trumps the World Series.
    Dude, I was IN Kenmore square that night, and I hate to say it, but while there were a few nutcases, it wasn't even 1% of the fans who were there who were acting up (more like 1 out of 1000). As it stands, the only real threat to the public (ie the only real injury or death) was at police hands. The situation was largely under control UNTIL a cop told a guy to leave the area and knocked him down. He then became irate, and 4 of his buddies started yellin at the cops and throwin shit at them. It was then that the cops started in with the riot control shite, and I can't really blame them for that. Who knows what the scene actually felt like on the ground (bottles flyin at em etc), so I don't BLAME the cops for taking the action they did... I do blame Menino for throwing a hissy fit and DRASTICALLY overreacting.

How does this serve the public that law abiding citizens not only can't get a beer at a bar near Fenway, but they also can't even watch the game at their favorite watering hole? I don't see how that protects the public one teensy iota.

How about an actual plan to deal with the fans? How about actually having enough cops on the street to deal with the number of fans? How about not sending riot cops after peaceful revelers? How about one second of planning from the mayors office to deal with the situation on the street.... He's trying to save his own ass for not planning for there being alot of fans outside Fenway on Game 7 evening (who woulda thunk it)

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Not sure what Mumbles Menino is going to do, but he should be very careful...

Someone died. He needs to do something. I'm sure you'll see Boston's finest x10 during the series.

Originally posted by The KING
    you know, i'd bet the majority of the boston hooligan's are college punks. maybe all colleges should broadcast that any student busted will be expelled.

edit: it's usually the idiotic frat brothers too...

hey ass clown i resemble that remark. but college student in general, are what... like 50% of the boston population?

i actually calmed down a lot when i joined a fraternity in college. you cant stereotype them to this kind of thing. its usualy just a select few that make a bad name for the rest, just like squids on bikes and that stereotypical harley ass hole.

when i was a kid... they used to break out the fire hoses on us in these situations

it worked pretty good.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

I was there before the riot cops came, and am friends with people who were there the whole time. 95% of the crowd was peaceful, and were just jumping around and cheering. The police were way out of line here. There were cases of officers pushing people into things, punching them, and generally being very physical when the people they were doing it to were not being physical, violent, or destructive in any way shape or form. On top of that the police didn't issue any sort of warning via a megaphone, they just started shooting away with less-lethal rounds. Shooting away I might add into the peaceful sections. They may have been doing it to the violent/destructive sections but they certainly weren't focusing their attention on those areas. Also, the officers were harassing RAs from the colleges who were trying to help control the students. And don't even think about trying to talk to the officers in a civil manner, asking them something; all you'll get is "Fucking go home."

Riots always start with just a few people acting crazy. It doesn't take much for a drunken croud like that to lose control.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    Riots always start with just a few people acting crazy. It doesn't take much for a drunken croud like that to lose control.
    That may be, but the tactics the officers used most certainly didn't do anything to keep the crowd peaceful. It's like being near a bee hive with a couple bees bugging you, so you punch the whole freakin' bee hive. Yeah, you got a few of them, some that weren't even bothering you. But guess what you have on your hands now?

Originally posted by Pappy
    That may be, but the tactics the officers used most certainly didn't do anything to keep the crowd peaceful. It's like being near a bee hive with a couple bees bugging you, so you punch the whole freakin' bee hive. Yeah, you got a few of them, some that weren't even bothering you. But guess what you have on your hands now?
    That was exactly my experience there that night... The officers would get rough with one dude who was being drunk and/or beligerent, and then there'd be 10 dudes mouthing off and pushing back at the officers. It was a lesson in how crowd control SHOULDN'T be done. No bullhorns, no warnings, no nothing, just cops getting rough with people and people pushing back.

Mayor mumbles needs to put the type of police planning into the world series events that he did when he had cops all around the DNC. Noone died there

Shutting down bars and forcing establishments not to show the game live? Does that make sense to anyone? Come on, its the FUCKING WORLD SERIES, those of us who want to go down to fenway to get in the spirit of it (who can't afford $1.5K for a single grandstand seat) and who don't get in trouble shouldn't have to be afraid (of the cops) or forced to go elsewhere!

You guys seem to have a mellow version of what I keep reading. There are numerous reports of fires, people climbing signs on streets, an SUV was torched... I personally saw on tv some dude taking a chair and smashing out signs and windows. Every article mentions what a bottleneck the area is with that many people, a recipie for disaster if a large fire breaks out. I'm sure the cops were aggressive, but I doubt they have a choice. They have to be tough. Again it sucks, a few ruin it for everyone. But no one has 'the right' to go down and drink and watch the game outside Fenway. Yeah, I think you should be able to, but not at the expense of potential property damage and loss of life. They did have a force of 500 cops ready to go the other night, and they anticipated large crowds. Obviously it wasn't enough and Menino is trying to head of another disaster. my .02

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Does anyone know if there's been any rioting in St. Louis?

But no one has 'the right' to go down and drink and watch the game outside Fenway.
    See, this is my big problem with conservatives. Y'all think there are NO RIGHTS, and its OK to abridge the rights of the many as a way to address the issues of a few.

The bar owners have a right to operate the business they are licensed to operate. They have a right to show the game live like they do for every other game of the season. They have a right to earn a living.

The RIGHT to assemble is written in the freaking Constitution. What was I doing if I wasn't "assembling" and expressing my opinion of my team (free speach). I consider my going down and drinking outside of Fenway to be how I express myself as a fan, and as such a right. No, "going to fenway to drink" isn't written in to the constitution, but "assembling" and "expressing myself" sure as hell are. I did nothing illegal, yet my right to assemble was and is being abridged due to a few fucktards.

What you saw on TV was the absolute worst of it, and it by NO means represents the true nature of the crowds on the street. Count the number of retards you saw on TV hanging from street signs etc... maybe several hundred if you go over the hours of footage that was captured (and thats a high estimate I'd say)? And that several hundred out of 60,000 fans on the street ruin it for the rest of the people who want to celebrate? No, thats not how it works, or how it should work. 60,000 peaceful fans milling around and chanting GO SOX isn't news, but the few who went and broke things are.

But no one has 'the right' to go down and drink and watch the game outside Fenway.

Umm..... yes, everyone over 21 DOES have the right to do just that. Not drinking in public, but everyone of legal age has the right to go to a bar near fenway, drink, and watch the game.

Last time I checked Boston hadn't instituted martial law with a curfew and everything.

...on the other hand, the city has the right to protect its property and a degree of responsibility to its citizens (who pay taxes) for making its streets safe...
    But is the best way for the city to accomplish this end an outright ban on bars selling beer, and showing the game?

I'd argue that's not a sensible way to attain the desired results. Its the old argument that the ends don't justify the means. Yes, you would probably attain the ends to some degree by what Mayor mumbles proposes. But the means he proposes are outright BS! You could attain the same ends by actually planning and organizing your police more effective to clear the streets, and having enough cops/paddy wagons/whatever is needed to deal specifically with the trouble makers.

Dunno... I hate politicians, and mayor mumbles even more than most.

EDIT: Heh, a compromise was reached. Cops in the bars, no TV filming in the bars, but they can serve and show the game. The barowners must have told menino to stick it up his ass... LOL

Last edited by hohum; 10-22-04 at 02:07 PM.

Yup, its STILL a retarded way of doing things.

Apparently the "brilliant thought" out of Menino is that the TV cameras were responsible for all the mayhem by encouraging folks to mug for the camera.

TV cameras were responsible for all the mayhem by encouraging folks to mug for the camera.

"After meeting for an hour Friday with more than 25 bar and restaurant owners, Mayor Thomas Menino backed down from a threat to invoke a rarely used state law to ban liquor "in cases of riot or great public excitement."

He had considered the ban after thousands of raucous fans took to the streets after the hometown Red Sox won the American League championship. One college student died after being hit in the eye by police firing pepper spray into the crowd, and more than a dozen others were injured.

Instead, bar owners agreed to a series of restrictions, including not allowing patrons to line up outside to wait to get in, not allowing bars to become overcrowded or patrons to drink too much, and not allowing television crews to shoot scenes inside bars. Authorities were worried that television coverage of bar patrons encourages people to act out as they play to the cameras."

i stand on my position: avoid boston competely for the next week.
    Especially tomorrow when its not only a world series game, but also the head of the charles regatta (draws 300,000 spectators to boston every year)

Boston is gonna be nutso tomorrow!

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Originally posted by hohum
    Especially tomorrow when its not only a world series game, but also the head of the charles regatta (draws 300,000 spectators to boston every year)

Boston is gonna be nutso tomorrow!
    isn't the Revolution playing a championship game tomorrow nite, too?

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

who cares? who watches soccer anyways...

oh, excuse me, "futbol"...

from what I hear: prolly 'bout 20,000 or so, tomorrow.

game oughta be over by ten, wonder where summa those soccer fans are likely to head AFTER the game...

"for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

er, Salem? for the halloween thing?

hm-m-m... hadn't thoughta that... SHIT!