Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mayweather/McGregor

Mayweather/McGregor

So, what do you kids think?

Obviously:
    -It's a boxing match and as such, it's a stacked deck. Connor is an enormous underdog and Floyd doesn't have a history of taking fights he could lose.
    -Both fighters are going to make enormous monies
    -Beet is naked

You never really know with these things, though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Mayweather/McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    So, what do you kids think?

Obviously:
    -It's a boxing match and as such, it's a stacked deck. Connor is an enormous underdog and Floyd doesn't have a history of taking fights he could lose.
    -Both fighters are going to make enormous monies
    -Beet is naked

You never really know with these things, though.
    Yeah, none of that prize money's gonna come out of my pocket. Absolute joke of a fight, maybe Connor oughta try boxing say, the 100th best boxer in the world before taking on one of the best ever. UFC ain't getting a drop of my attention until they schedule macgregor/Nate Diaz 3 or macgregor/nick Diaz 1

If it goes longer than a round or two, I think Mayweather's gonna kill him. But I honestly feel that for at least 1 or 2 rounds, it'll be interesting. McGregor isn't afraid to take ANY fight, and he isn't afraid to lose. That's the one thing he's got going for him in this bout. But I can't see him standing toe to toe with Mayweather in a BOXING match for long. I hate to say that, I can't stand Mayweather - or boxing in general anymore...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Several things that strike me about this fight:

This is a cash grab. Hello captain obvious. I'll still watch.

McGregor's only chance is his aggression. It also will be his worst enemy, odds are that a defensive counter puncher like Mayweather will take that aggression and finish him early. There is a chance, and it is a very small chance, that with McGregor not being a trained boxer he may be able to mount an attack that looks unorthodox enough to a trained boxer that he may be able land a knock out shot early. I don't think it will happen, but as soon as you step into the ring ANYONE has the potential to knock you out.

Greatest chance is this will be a snooze fest to the uninitiated. I highly doubt that Mayweather will risk himself. Again, he's a defensive counter puncher, he knows that his opponent knows the only chance he has is a haymaker KO. Mayweather will establish a defensive posture immediately and slip and counter everything McGregor has to throw at him. There will probably be almost no big shots landed in this fight. McGregor will probably be tired in 5 rounds or less and unable to really mount any kind of attack. Mayweather will be ahead on the score cards at that point and will have no incentive to risk himself to finish McGregor early.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Agree with the gents, Conor will bring a storm in the first 2, Mayweather will weather it. Rest of the rounds will be a hug fest.

Yeah, I agree. It seems McGregor has to charge in. He can't fight a tactical boxing match against a guy who has the defensive skills that Floyd has.
    I'm not a Floyd fan as his fights are usually less than exciting, but that's all by design and he's one of the best ever at what he does.

Maybe, and it feels like a big maybe right now, Connor can create enough early chaos to force Floyd out of his usual style and make something happen.

If that doesn't happen, Connor is still going to take home $100,000,000+ and that is the reason this fight exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    maybe Connor oughta try boxing say, the 100th best boxer in the world before taking on one of the best ever.
    They wouldnt pay him 100 milli to box the 100th best boxer in the world.
    Also, he was the Irish junior champ or some shit, so he has boxing experience. I still think theres very little chance he wins though.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    They wouldnt pay him 100 milli to box the 100th best boxer in the world.
    Also, he was the Irish junior champ or some shit, so he has boxing experience. I still think theres very little chance he wins though.
    I think they might, Conor has whipped up such a frenzy that it would be silly for them to not cash in. No losers in this fight.

The other thing - and I can't decide if this is an advantage for McGregor, is the gloves used in boxing are pillows compared to MMA. That could go either way as far as favorability. On one hand, McGregor definitely is used to getting hit with the much smaller & less padded MMA gloves. On the other hand, he's tossing those big ol' pillows at Mayweather. It'll be interesting either way. And either way, the Stonners are without a doubt watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    No losers in this fight.
    Anyone dumb enough to plunk down $100 to watch this debacle is a loser IMHO

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The backlash is an interesting thing, too...
    So, I do think this fight brings enormous spectacle, the type that would never exist if Connor fought the world's 100th ranked boxer, no matter how much pre-fight shit he talked. It's just not even in the same ballpark, BUT...
    How many people are thinking this is total bullshit, just a cash grab, etc, and how much does that eat into the $pectacle?

In the end, though, they'll see a bunch of PPVs on the possibility of fireworks. Everyone loves an underdog with a chance.

It's almost like buying a lottery ticket. You know the odds, but man, if the fireworks went off it would be pretty amazing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    How many people are thinking this is total bullshit, just a cash grab, etc,
    Of course its a cash grab, would they be doing this if it was only for a million? That said, I have zero doubt Conor is taking this 100% seriously. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Floyd has a LOT to lose, so Id imagine he's taking this seriously. This is nothing different than wrestling in my mind. People pay shit tons to see a storyline told behind the scenes. People will pay shit tons to see how this storyline ends.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Yarr. My point is that the nature of the spectacle itself may hurt their ability to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Anyone dumb enough to plunk down $100 to watch this debacle is a loser IMHO
    true that, there is always a possibility of fireworks. Conor does have a lethal left but then again he is going against the best defensive Boxer of all time. PacMan couldnt even touch him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    But I can't see him standing toe to toe with Mayweather in a BOXING match for long. I hate to say that, I can't stand Mayweather - or boxing in general anymore...
    Agreed, I think the filthy Irishman needs to smother him early. I would love to see Mayweather get knocked the fuck out by an MMA guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    - or boxing in general anymore...
    Did you watch the Klitschko Joshua fight :-| that was some badass old school heavyweight boxing

They should have done it 11 rounds of boxing, if it goes to round 12, MMA rules apply.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    Did you watch the Klitschko Joshua fight :-| that was some badass old school heavyweight boxing
    I did not. I've had zero interest in boxing for some time now. Just stopped doing for me what it used to. Mainly just got tired of keeping up with all the belts from all the sanctions, to be honest...

Back to Mayweather/McGregor...

Let's be real. The whole world wants to see Floyd drop dead in round 1 lol

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Let's be real. The whole world wants to see Floyd drop dead in round 1 lol
    I actually dislike McGregor more than Mayweather...but my dislike for both is really really close. I'm concerned that the whole thing is going to be staged. Can they give incentives to the fighters for the fight going more rounds just like they do for knockouts? On paper, Mayweather should win this hands down. If the fight is anything less than a calculated, dominating performance by Mayweather, then I think it is safe to say it was staged. Perhaps a slight chance that McGregor could like a lucky shot, but Mayweather has never lost a fight to the best boxers in the world. I haven't watched any boxing, but I would have to guess that at some point his boxing opponents (the best boxers in the world) have slipped a haymaker by and it didn't knock him down. I don't know why McGregor's punch would.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-15-17 at 01:03 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I actually dislike McGregor more than Mayweather...but my dislike for both is really really close. I'm concerned that the whole thing is going to be staged. Can they give incentives to the fighters for the fight going more rounds just like they do for knockouts? On paper, Mayweather should win this hands down. If the fight is anything less than a calculated, dominating performance by Mayweather, then I think it is safe to say it was staged. Perhaps a slight change that McGregor could like a lucky shot, but Mayweather has never lost a fight to the best boxers in the world. I haven't watched any boxing, but I would have to guess that at some point his boxing opponents (the best boxers in the world) have slipped a haymaker by and it didn't knock him down. I don't know why McGregor's punch would.
    Personal opinion. There has not been a top professional sporting event that wasn't staged in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Personal opinion. There has not been a top professional sporting event that wasn't staged in the last 20 years.
    I think there could be some truth to that if you peel back the onion far enough. I also think that when you have such a big talent pool, you wind up with 2 teams or individuals that have maxed out human/team potential and you truly get the best vs the best.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Formula One Car vs Top Fuel Dragster

Completely different, both top of their games, but when you force one into the other's venue, the results are predictable. I like to watch boxing, but this will not be boxing.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

The only way macgregor wins this fight is if mayweather throws it so they can both cash in again on a rematch.

With that much money dangling in front of them, it wouldn't surprise me.

reminds me of one of my favorite movie scenes of all freakin time: "In the Fifth Your Ass Goes Down" - YouTube

Probably won't watch this. I'll just read the headline about how Mayweather countered his way to another decision. Snoozefest.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast