Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Mazda CX-5 / 9 owners here?

Any Mazda CX-5 / 9 owners here?

Got a couple of questions for either.

0 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

Re: Any Mazda CX-5 / 9 owners here?

Subscribed. I rented a Mazda6, 2018, when I was in KC earlier this month. I was blown away by the quality, handling, steering, looks and just the whole package. I wish they also brought a CX7 back - something in between the CX5 and 9, not three row, but with the 2.5T engine.

0 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Steetfighter 848, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M

Well I’m a huge Mazda fan. I think the 3 and the 6 are the best sedans in the market. But now we are in the market for our first SUV. I would like to stick with Mazda for a few reasons: 1) I believe they are the best value for money out there 2) quality 3) reliability 4) relationship with dealership 5) mazda financing

What I like so far about the CX-5: price, quality, SUV yet very good on gas, good size and room. What I don’t like: not 3 row, a bit less options, cannot really tow anything (even class I hitch is a stretch for it). But you still get an awesome compact SUV very well loaded in the 30ks.

CX-9: large and super roomy. 3rd row is real 3rd row. I don’t like price and gas consumption (still fat better than similar SUVs). A bit mixed reviews on the reliability. I’m very curious about 4 cylinder turbo motor on it. It still cannot really tow (mad capacity is 3500# but you really don’t want to tow more then 2500#).

The towing is a bit bs reason for me. I may tow once or twice per year and probably never more than 2500#. So idk why I even consider that a “real” factor. It’s really a battle between so I want to spend more upfront and on gas to have the 3rd row for when I need it (which won’t be daily) or do I get the 5 and save money and buy another in a few years when we are ready to retire all the sedans. Lol

0 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

I hear you. I have three kids and our main cages are a 2012 GTI for the wife (red, of course) and 2009 335xi for me. Both manual. For a while we managed with a 2008 Passat wagon as our third car as the "big" family car. When the three kids started to grow, decided to get a used Odyssey. Got a 2011 with a lot of miles and it has been a good family vehicle. We briefly looked at the Atlas which was great but at the time was close to MSRP and we didn't want to invest in a new car since it is our third car. If I was to replace the odyssey and the bmw I would get myself a CX-9 as I think the Mazda is a good value for a relatively fun to drive SUV. If you don't need the extra space, I always preferred small cars as would get the CX-5. I do feel that it is on the smaller side of the compact SUV's. The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure seems intriguing as well.

If you buy slightly used they take the $$$ hit, but is you think you would need to upgrade in a few years it may not be worth it and might as well buy what you think you would want/need in the future - the CX-9. That is assuming you are like me and keep your cars for >5 years...

0 Not allowed!

Just test drove both. I think the CX-5 is the right move for us. I can live without a 3rd row for now and save a lot in sticker+taxes for now.
    Now to shop for the best deal... lol

1 Not allowed!

Sister in law just got cx5 to replace totaled Mazda 3. Just got it a week ago so no long term info but looks nice.

0 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Sister in law just got cx5 to replace totaled Mazda 3. Just got it a week ago so no long term info but looks nice.
    Mazda decided to not offer 0% financing this month. I don’t like that

0 Not allowed!

I have a 5.
    It has a 2 hitch and is rated for 2500lbs. Tows a dirty or a bike on a single rail just fine, which is all Im really looking for.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 11-24-18 at 03:48 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Just test drove both. I think the CX-5 is the right move for us. I can live without a 3rd row for now and save a lot in sticker+taxes for now.
    Now to shop for the best deal... lol
    I used cargurus.com to buy my used minivan. In general, it is easy to use the internet these day and not step into a dealership to get the best price.

1 Not allowed!

Try and get a CPO Mazda if possible. It extends their warranty out to 7 year 100k powertrain warranty and a 1 year 12k bumper to bumper warranty.

My girl got one from Balise Mazda in Springfrield. They easily had the best prices of all five of the CT Mazda places we shopped at. it was a 2016 cx5 with 35k with backup camera, moonroof, navigation package and remote starter. She was at 20k out the door. I wish it had the LED headlight package.

She also got a loan from her bank that Mazda had no chance of matching.

0 Not allowed!

~2500 lbs towing is probably fine for probably most of us. Realistically my 6x12 is about 900-1000 empty. Add 2x ~400# bikes, ~200# worth of gear, ~200# worth of tools and fuel.. Still shy of 2500 lbs.

I did similar math and wound up with an 8 passenger minivan rated @ 3000 lbs. It's the shit.

My best friends wife had a CX-5 for a while. I've driven it a couple times and ridden in it dozens of times. Strikes me exactly like a Mazda 3 on stilts. I liked it and would buy.
    My wife insists the CX-9 she had as a rental was the nicest car she's ever driven.

1 Not allowed!

Little off topic, but the new 3 will be AWD. And looks damn classy, inside and out. Still available with a 6 speed.

Also keep an eye out for the new Skyativ-X motor. Runs on gas, and switches between normal sparked combustion and sparkless "dieseling" to achieve a reported 20-30% improvement in efficiency.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Were the 3 to have been available with the AWD I may have checked it out instead of buying my new vehicle. They are kinda sexy looking.

0 Not allowed!

My buddy bought one brand new. Took me for a ride in it with 80k the other day on garbage bumpy backroads. Still drives like a brand new car. Impressive.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

That Skyactiv X looks pretty neat. I wonder if the U.S. will actually get it though. We were supposed to get the diesel version but that fell through.

Curious how the emissions work out on a gas "diesel" too.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Well, gas does burn cleaner in general than diesel, so it should be easier to get a gas engine to pass emissions, no matter what the ignition source (spark vs heat/comp).

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Well, gas does burn cleaner in general than diesel, so it should be easier to get a gas engine to pass emissions, no matter what the ignition source (spark vs heat/comp).
    I had a lean burn Civic back in the day. It had a special cat. If I recall, lean ratios create more NoX or something.

I did notice the article mentioned less soot production than a conventional diesel though.

0 Not allowed!

Seems it's always a tradeoff. Less hydrocarbons (leaner) = more of something else.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I think Mazda has some of the best designs on the market, aesthetically speaking. The newer 3 and 6 are sexy as hell. Miata too.

Years ago (~2005) we had a Mazda 3i. Base sedan. 4AT and the small 4-cylinder. It was GREAT when new. But did not wear very well, especially the interior. I was disappointed with how the interior trim and carpets, etc wore. We were not especially hard on it yet lots of stuff just fell apart. And it definitely rode like a FWD macpherson setup past 100k. We parted ways with it before the struts started leaking. But ride was not good as new.

And the 4AT in that car was just awful. Everyone else in our orbit that had 3's had the hatch, which automatically got you a 5AT or MT. All were far better.

I'd still drive a Mazda3 any day of the week. Especially in hatch format with a 6MT. I don't even need the AWD.

0 Not allowed!

My buddy bought one brand new. Took me for a ride in it with 80k the other day on garbage bumpy backroads. Still drives like a brand new car. Impressive.
    Same here. My 2013 3 has over 150k. Wife’s 2017 has 14k. There is a difference in feel and driving but nowhere near what you d expect.
    I think the new 3 looks really ugly though. I am curious about the Skyactiv X but I hate being the test subject lol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think Mazda has some of the best designs on the market, aesthetically speaking. The newer 3 and 6 are sexy as hell. Miata too.

Years ago (~2005) we had a Mazda 3i. Base sedan. 4AT and the small 4-cylinder. It was GREAT when new. But did not wear very well, especially the interior. I was disappointed with how the interior trim and carpets, etc wore. We were not especially hard on it yet lots of stuff just fell apart. And it definitely rode like a FWD macpherson setup past 100k. We parted ways with it before the struts started leaking. But ride was not good as new.

And the 4AT in that car was just awful. Everyone else in our orbit that had 3's had the hatch, which automatically got you a 5AT or MT. All were far better.

I'd still drive a Mazda3 any day of the week. Especially in hatch format with a 6MT. I don't even need the AWD.
    I had the hatch with 6mt for a while. Solid car that I miss some. I know exactly what you mean about little things starting to wear. Long term I got the feeling it wouldn't age well.

That said, my Camry is getting floaty at 70k and it needs sway bar links again. Stock made it 25k, aftermarket almost double that. To be fair it does get pounded in Boston with some pretty heavy loads though.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-29-18 at 11:34 AM.

Little off topic, but the new 3 will be AWD. And looks damn classy, inside and out. Still available with a 6 speed.

Also keep an eye out for the new Skyativ-X motor. Runs on gas, and switches between normal sparked combustion and sparkless "dieseling" to achieve a reported 20-30% improvement in efficiency.
    Is this the new thing from the reveal the other day? I want a zippy version.

The cx5 is more like a Mazda 6 on stilts, Camry sized.
    The cx3 is the 3 on stilts, new in 2017.

My 5, at 75k is still pretty tight. I’m going to need struts our back soon, I think. I’ll use that opportunity to upgrade, hopefully. Maybe put some inner spring airbags to keep it level when full of heavy shit like musical equipment, and hanging the bike rack off the hitch, as well as towing.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    To be fair it does get pounded in Boston with some pretty heavy loads though.
    Aww. Makes me all nostalgic for those poor ladies silly enough to venture back to my apartment after a night of drinks and sweet talking at Middlesex Lounge.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Is this the new thing from the reveal the other day? I want a zippy version.

The cx5 is more like a Mazda 6 on stilts, Camry sized.
    The cx3 is the 3 on stilts, new in 2017.

My 5, at 75k is still pretty tight. I’m going to need struts our back soon, I think. I’ll use that opportunity to upgrade, hopefully. Maybe put some inner spring airbags to keep it level when full of heavy shit like musical equipment, and hanging the bike rack off the hitch, as well as towing.
    The Skyactiv-X is supposed to make around 180-190HP. That's what the current gen 2.5L (bigger) engine makes, so if this car does have several engine options there is bound to be a more powerful engine. I'd LOVE a Mazda 3 with ~220HP, it's too bad they waited this long to bump power to reasonably fun levels.

I got sick of waiting for a faster Mazda 3 and just bought a GTI. No regrets so far.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The Skyactiv-X is supposed to make around 180-190HP. That's what the current gen 2.5L (bigger) engine makes, so if this car does have several engine options there is bound to be a more powerful engine. I'd LOVE a Mazda 3 with ~220HP, it's too bad they waited this long to bump power to reasonably fun levels.

I got sick of waiting for a faster Mazda 3 and just bought a GTI. No regrets so far.
    Looks like you made the right call.... There won't be a Mazdaspeed 3.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast