Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Metal Roofs

Re: Metal Roofs

Saves you a lot of money. No stripping, no ice&water.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Maybe I can do this. Rent some scaffolding so the fall has a stop mid-way down; once sliding down the roof, then off the scaffolding. This seems like a nice way to drive up my ibuprofen use. I don't get to track ride much anymore these days after-all.

Do you guys advocate going over shingles? Or stripping to bare wood?
    Do you put water shield/bituthene/grace under the metal? I understand it is code to do at least the first 3 or 6' on a shingle roof nowadays.
    I am 100% against going over an old roof, it’s not the correct way to do it. Also in some cases, you can only add 1 layer. I know in RI, you can’t cover over 2 layers.

Strip the roof, ice and water the sheathing (still need it for vapor barrier) , for a true cold roof, you’ll need vertical strapping up the roof first, then horizontal strapping to fasten the roofing to. Your starter flashing/drip edge is vented, and your ridge will be vented, that will create the cold roof.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

We didn't go that far. only strapped horizontal right on the shingles and no vents at the drip edge. It still performs really well. I do see some melt/drip in certain conditions, but there is nowhere for the ice cause a problem. We have a 12:12 pitch though. Not much is going to cling to this roof for long. If it had been a complex roof, or less pitch, I would have been more concerned about all of that. I know it would drive you crazy Mark, but this was a cheap way to get a great roof. I'm not regretting any of it.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    We have a 12:12 pitch though. Not much is going to cling to this roof for long.
    Particularly Bubs. He'd be hurtling towards the ground like a fucking meteor.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Particularly Bubs. He'd be hurtling towards the ground like a fucking meteor.
    He would reach terminal velocity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

If it had been a complex roof, or less pitch, I would have been more concerned about all of that. I know it would drive you crazy Mark, but this was a cheap way to get a great roof. I'm not regretting any of it.
    I understand the need to save money, basically my point was if I were in business, I wouldn’t even take the job if someone wanted to go over an old roof. Most roofing products voids the warranty if installed as an overlay anyways.
    The asphalt underneath will also continue to break down, as it’s hot/cold cycles that causes the asphalt to crumble.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    If it's a simple roof, consider doing standing seam yourself. Jackson Lumber in Raymond sells Fabral and I've used it twice from there with excellent results. It has to be measured carefully and ordered because the panels are all pre-cut to length at the factory, but once you have the pieces, it goes up really quickly and you only need a couple of special tools that you can get at Jackson.
    I have Fabral Grand Rib on my barn

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

This resto in my town just got a metal roof that looks like slate. It's friggin gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Not sure this is ready for prime time and $35-44,000 but it’s a cool idea.

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

0 Not allowed!

We thought hard about the tesla roof. We would like to do solar as well and if you combine the roofing quotes AND the solar quotes we've got, the tesla roof looks awesome.
    Unfortunately I am squeamish about being an early adopter of something like this. I prefer a solution that has a long track record of working in our climate. I think I'd feel more comfortable if we lived in a warmer climate. So we'll be paying the premium for traditional metal roof + traditional solar build-out. Unfortunately this delays when we will be able to do the solar work.

1 Not allowed!

In that case, standing seam is cool because they have mounting kits that clip to the seam. no roof penetrations for the panels.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Looking at a new roof myself. we have a hip roof that's pretty steep. My main concern is with the snow sliding off one side would hit my back deck one would smash down on the driveway. Not ideal and am worried about someone or things getting hurt or damaged. anyway of preventing this?

0 Not allowed!

In that case, standing seam is cool because they have mounting kits that clip to the seam. no roof penetrations for the panels.
    Yup, saw a NICE setup of this at Grunbay's shop, really makes me want to go metal.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    ... Not ideal and am worried about someone or things getting hurt or damaged. anyway of preventing this?
    Right before the snow lets go, you're gonna want to yell "IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!"

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

funny but not every effective.

0 Not allowed!

There are avalanche bars and other solutions. They look good, and prevent the slides. They are quite expensive for what they are.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Getting quotes in the spring so we shall see. Thinking a good 25-30 year shingle will have to do, I like the look of metal but for my application I don't think its the best choice.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Looking at a new roof myself. we have a hip roof that's pretty steep. My main concern is with the snow sliding off one side would hit my back deck one would smash down on the driveway. Not ideal and am worried about someone or things getting hurt or damaged. anyway of preventing this?
    ”Snow Angels”

0 Not allowed!

wondering how they would work on a steeper pitch?

0 Not allowed!

That I didn't know. Should speed up installation and drive down that cost.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12