Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Miatas.

Re: Miatas.

I'm sure the only thing a v8 kills is the mpg's.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

An aluminum LsX and a 5.0 with Al heads plus the different trannies end up weighing like within 50-75 lbs of eachother, and you end up adding about 150-200 lbs to the car with either swap. It's no worse than adding a passenger really. Yeah most of that is in the front but it's not a huge problem.

The only thing you lose is the awesome miata transmission feel.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'm sure the only thing a v8 kills is the mpg's.
    Miata MPG's are not that great anyway. Really disappointing for a small car with a 2.0L (or smaller in older cars) I4.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Those are called Subaru BRZs........
    BRZ is nice. But I like the Miata better. Several hundred lbs lighter. Better suspension. Better weight distribution. And much better fit & finish. Just feels like a simpler, more driver oriented car to my touch.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    BRZ is nice. But I like the Miata better. Several hundred lbs lighter. Better suspension. Better weight distribution. And much better fit & finish. Just feels like a simpler, more driver oriented car to my touch.

Put a turbo in one and they're much better

I do love the Torsen in them but yeah, they still fall short in the suspension dept. Miata is definitely a better platform for truly hard driving with room to grow.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I've got a Torsen in mine

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lots of Miatas have Torsens in them. My '99 did.

0 Not allowed!

It was only available on certain trims some years if I recall.

In any case, the diff in the BRZ is part of its charm. You'll never, welly probably never, see one in my driveway though.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

No, it was widely available. At least with the 1st and early 2nd gens I shopped. There was a decoder ring out there somewhere to determine which models had and which didn't.
    In the MY2000 and 2001 it was pretty much leather interior => definitely had a torsen. Some cloth cars had it too.
    Except the automatics. Maybe none of them did. But if you buy a BRZ or Miata with an automatic you should be shot.

0 Not allowed!

Just looked at the Flyin' Miata price sheet for the V8 swap goodies. I think I'll just go buy a C5 convertible...

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Bingo.

Some guys do it on the cheap with used drivetrains from junk yards. Can do LSx swaps for around $20k all in if you get a decent used LS, trans and GETRAG rear end.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

They're not as expensive to do as FM would suggest. You can find a front subframe for the 5.0 cheap once in a while, run off the shelf shorty headers, make your own rear sub frame and you're good to go. Depending on the axles you want to run you may have to modify the rear LCAs and the upper mount for the shock. I bet if you have a welder and some time you could do the 5.0 swap with junkyard parts and AL heads for less than 4k dollars not counting the car.

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'd pretty much never go over 70 in the thing, but I would go 70 EVERYWHERE.
    Thats what i say about my motard

1 Not allowed!

I wouldn't do a 5.slow. Seen them done, the LSx series is just so much of a better platform IMO.

GM is the way to motor. LS is the proper.

Got my injectors/ECU put back in now that I have the happy inspection sticker. Can do the entire swap in under an hour, including moving a few other vehicles out of the way and clearing snow from in front of the garage.

I had a bottom cushion that was all deformed on one of my injectors when I pulled it apart. I may of been losing bewst from it, because on the same setting on the MBC, I'm not about half a pound higher at peak.

Runs GOOD. 1st gear always breaks loose on bewst. 2nd does too, every damn time. Sometimes 3rd. And that was in 40 degree "heat" yesterday.

Not sure what's next. EBC would be wise for lower RPM boost, but I really need to do a full Stage 2 Koni suspension package and a rollbar. And a proper tune on a steady state dyno.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

5.0 is cheaper that's all. The LS is the better motor and is easier to get to clear the hood. The motor is lighter, but the tranny is heavier. The whole package is like I said about 75lbs lighter than the full 5.0 package. You can still build your own subframe or find one out there but I'm not sure if you can use off the shelf headers with the LS. It's possible that they're out there, I just don't know which ones you would want. The rear end setup would or could still be the same.

What wheels/tires are you running? Wheel hop is usually more a problem than just breaking them loose with miatas. There was a really nice package deal on some 15x9 6uls with 225s on them on CL in the hudson valley area of NY not too long ago, might still be there.

0 Not allowed!

Advanti Storm S1's in a 15x7, Dunlop Direzza DZ102's. I kept stock width for driveability. Just wanted a lighter set and to go from 17's to 15's.

No wheel hop issues. If one breaks loose, my Torsen insists the other does as well and sideways I go.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 03-20-17 at 08:48 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

On 205s I'm guessing? A 205 on a 8" would be a little better in the corners for you, the little bit of stretch tightens up the sidewalls. I bet you'd get some nice hook with a 225 on a 9" though.

0 Not allowed!

With where I live, tightening sidewalls is not my goal. I'd be better served with a long travel Baja truck.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Haha yeah, I can understand that. A little slide never hurt anyone anyways.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    5.0 is cheaper that's all. The LS is the better motor and is easier to get to clear the hood. The motor is lighter, but the tranny is heavier. The whole package is like I said about 75lbs lighter than the full 5.0 package. You can still build your own subframe or find one out there but I'm not sure if you can use off the shelf headers with the LS. It's possible that they're out there, I just don't know which ones you would want. The rear end setup would or could still be the same.
    With the amount of LSx motors floating around, the price gap is definitely getting narrower. LS tranny is heavier due to the extra cog, and being able to handle 700+hp without mods...versus the old T-5 blowing up with anything over 250hp. Not to mention the extra tranny weight helped the C5-6 achieve that neutral weight bias. As far as headers for the swap, you could use the factory shorts, any one of the many short or long tube setups, or have a set custom made. You can buy an LS header kit to weld up your own, for a custom application.

Clayton, I'm gonna be attending this with my C6, along with my brother and his '16 Mustang GT. It's open to anyone, it's pretty local, and it's a good deal. There's a youtube link in the thread to last year's dyno gathering there....some heavy hitters for sure! Good chance to get a baseline before your EBC.
    DYNO-DAY...22 April 2017..For Posse & Friends. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
    -G

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Fitron; 03-20-17 at 01:48 PM.

You can't just use any old header with the way the motor sits in the subframe, and with the steering linkage in there.

I'm not knocking the LS, it's the better setup, it's just cheaper to do the ford and with off the shelf parts too.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitron View Post
    Clayton, I'm gonna be attending this with my C6, along with my brother and his '16 Mustang GT. It's open to anyone, it's pretty local, and it's a good deal. There's a youtube link in the thread to last year's dyno gathering there....some heavy hitters for sure! Good chance to get a baseline before your EBC.
    DYNO-DAY...22 April 2017..For Posse & Friends. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
    -G
    That was the dyno tuning shop I was considering having tune my Megasquirt. I'll consider it.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

There's a red rf at the local dealership. The shape of that thing in realtime is rad.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Damn.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Which generation has the most leg and head room? Newer ones seem larger, is that the case? I’m 6’1 now, my son is 6’ and daughter 5’11.

EDIT: A “Foamectomy” is recommended. Best word Evah.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-01-18 at 09:15 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750