Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Miatas.

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Re: Miatas.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I mean it's a great car and id love to have one but comparing to a Porsche is just not ok.
    Have you driven either?

0 Not allowed!
    ~Scott
    2002 FZ-1 (Street)
    1999 SV650 (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    'Safer' is a relative term. I find it interesting that someone who rides a motorcycle would view one as required equipment.

My opinion was that if you manage to roll your Miata, you have bigger problems and are likely in for a world of hurt either way.

There is also a lengthy debate as to what type of bar constitutes a real safety improvement. Usually the ones that offer real improvement are ugly and expensive. The ones you typically see added to NA and NB Miatae are all too often the cheaper ones that offer debatable safety improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    This will be a weekend fun car and a grocery getter. I'm not planning to autocross one in this nice shape. Can always get an ugly one for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    all roll bar, all the time
    Okay, but at least do it for the aesthetic purposes.

Grocery-getter or not, you gotta admit that it looks badass with one.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

With my budget, I'll probably never drive a Porsche unless it's an old, worn, shitbox.

Then again, some might argue that my Miata was some of that too.

Do SV's have as much appeal outside of New England and NHMS? Because Miatas are popular EVERYWHERE.

I feel like the NB is just a bit better screwed together than the NA was. Every NA I've been around has had some poor plastic seams, loose bits, and less than ideal ergos here and there. Particularly around the center console and HVAC stack. The NB felt just that little bit more better to me. It's a ying/yang thing as it undoubtedly gives up a few tenths in the performance boat.

By the same token I feel the NC is cold porridge. ... Like I say, everything is relative.

The flip up headlights are kickass though.

For my '99 probably my favorite improvement was switching for a Nardi branded OEM wood shift knob. It seemed better weighted than the plastic stock knob and made that trans feel just that little bit more slick.

I used to commute with a good friend of mine when we worked together. Two decent sized guys rolling out of a Miata with morning coffee and laptop bags in hand earned a couple double takes.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 10-16-12 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Grocery-getter or not, you gotta admit that it looks badass with one.
    Eh. I mean, it's no yellow Bandit.

That looks like it is one of the decent, real bars welded or at least bolted to the unibody. Not one of those cheap, tacked on chrome ones I see more often than not.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. As I say, if you flip a Miata, you are probably fucked anyway.

0 Not allowed!

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. As I say, if you flip a Miata, you are probably fucked anyway.
    I agree, but if you do it with a rollbar and die, at least people can remember you as having decent taste in aesthetics.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Every NA I've been around has had some poor plastic seams, loose bits, and less than ideal ergos here and there.

I agree with that, but I really think the NB (and I hate saying this) just has a more girly look to it than the NA or the more modern NC. The headlights on the NB, with the slight curve, and the more curvy body just doesn't do it for me. The NA is awesome though, and the flip up lights were great. When I get another I want a basic 1.8 NA model. No power anything, with a very basic interior. I want it strictly for a fun/weekend car.

0 Not allowed!
    -Mark
    2003 Kawasaki 636, 2006 DRZ400SM

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I mean it's a great car and id love to have one but comparing to a Porsche is just not ok.

Do you even know what a 924 is? It's nothing special at all. It's an older late 70's/early 80's design. Essentially a glorified VW that breaks ALL the time and costs a fortune to campaign. I'd rather have a Scirocco if you want an old German race car from VW.

I'd take a Miata any day over one of those. Miata's have never failed to put a smile on my face everytime I've been in one. Watch one carve through the south chicane at Loudon. They pretty much leave everything else for dead there. Insane.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Do you even know what a 924 is? It's nothing special at all. It's an older late 70's/early 80's design. Essentially a glorified VW that breaks ALL the time and costs a fortune to campaign. I'd rather have a Scirocco if you want an old German race car from VW.

I'd take a Miata any day over one of those. Miata's have never failed to put a smile on my face everytime I've been in one. Watch one carve through the south chicane at Loudon. They pretty much leave everything else for dead there. Insane.
    Well, it was compared in this thread with both a 924 and with a Cayman. The 924 comparison is pretty apt; those (and their descendants) are some of the best balanced and best handling cars ever built, and are tremendous fun for the money. The Cayman comparison was a bit of reach, but I don't think it's ever out of the question to make a comparison just because of a brand name.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    Have you driven either?
    Several models in several conditions. I haven't owned either though.

0 Not allowed!

Since you guys are taking about old porsches you have to watch the top great 2500$ used porsche challenge.

Ot over...

1 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

I didn't catch the 924 part. I actually bought one of those for 800$ drove it from cape to Worcester and sold it the same night. I don't disagree that the Miata is Tons of fun and a great toy, exonomical, etc. like I said several times if I wasn't living in new england id get that over my del sol. But iv been in some Porsches that impressed me a lot more than any Miata ever would.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Well, it was compared in this thread with both a 924 and with a Cayman. The 924 comparison is pretty apt; those (and their descendants) are some of the best balanced and best handling cars ever built, and are tremendous fun for the money. The Cayman comparison was a bit of reach, but I don't think it's ever out of the question to make a comparison just because of a brand name.

PhilB
    Totally missed the Cayman reference. Saw SCCA and 924 and my mind wandered after that.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Since you guys are taking about old porsches you have to watch the top great 2500$ used porsche challenge.

Ot over...
    Will do. Love watching old shit boxes blow up.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post

Ot over...
    One of the funniest Top Gear episodes I ever saw was a challenge to buy and get running an Alfa Romeo, drive it across Britain, and have a race of them, for less than $1000 each. The old Performance Bike mag (before all their cool guys quit or died) used to have similar motorcycle challenges; which were always fun.

PhilB

0 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

They did a track day with the alphas, best part was hamster "what was that"! As an F1 looking car blew by him.

0 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Two many 2 strokes

I had a few..... real old one...put a basic gredy turbo kit for $900 was real quick! Loved that so much i bought a 99 and did a big turbo kit...motor was all stock...Just bigger injectors, fuel pump, clutch....250hp to the wheels...i did low 12's in the 1/4.... still got killer milage.... never did anything to it after the turbo install.... for years just drove it.... the miata motors are bullet proof, easy to work on, cheap parts.... go for it!

0 Not allowed!

What is 'killer' mileage? I was lucky to clear 30 MPG in my '99 in stock trim. I consider that pretty meh for a ~2250lbs car with a modern 1.8L EFI engine.

The car I replaced it with weighs an easy 1000 lbs more, has about 200cc more displacement and a turbo on it. It makes a little over 200 HP, seats four comfortably and will tow 2000 lbs. It returns >30 MPG tanks all time.

I was disappointed with the Miata fuel economy. As said, not so hot as a commuter.

0 Not allowed!

30mpg is pretty good. if you want to compare it a car of its category i think the del sol is the closest thing to it. i dont get under 35mpg and i average 37.7mpg.

0 Not allowed!

I'm not overly concerned with fuel economy. I get about 22 in the truck, so anything better than that is an improvement.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm not overly concerned with fuel economy. I get about 22 in the truck, so anything better than that is an improvement.
    i would be beyond fucked with that lol

0 Not allowed!

BTW, where in the Natick Collections do you work? I went looking for you a couple weeks ago, only found the Verizon one and the sushi on conveyors.

Heading back next Tuesday to pick something up at the Mac store, was going to stop in for a hello.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

At the time I had a pickup that got in the high teens. So yeah, it was an improvement for me as well. I just expected better out of such a light, small, modestly powered car. I think it is all in the gearing. The thing was spun up at like 4k RPM for my entire ride to work and back.

Clayton, sounds like you won't be disappointed.

0 Not allowed!

BTW, where in the Natick Collections do you work? I went looking for you a couple weeks ago, only found the Verizon one and the sushi on conveyors.

Heading back next Tuesday to pick something up at the Mac store, was going to stop in for a hello.
    my store is actually huge haha. i am right across from EXPRESS. if you are coming from Macy's to the center of the mall I am on your left hand side.
    shoot me a text when you are here. (508) 981 two four zero zero

0 Not allowed!

Fast forward 6 (or more) months. Took it for a test drive finally last week. It actually just rolled over 25k miles. Only things not original on the car is the oil, oil filter, air filter and tires.

Guy selling is going to try out a new Cayman S. Once he does that, we'll be in discussions on what he wants to get for the Miata.

It sure is clean. Rides a lot quieter and comfortable than the people here would have me believe. Could be a more comfortable DD than my Tacoma. Even with the top down, having a conversation at 50mph was at a lower volume than 50mph in my truck.

Not harsh over the bumps.

Engine has enough squirt to make it interesting, but not enough to really make me giggle at all. Tried to hit some corners to push it a bit, but it just is so effortless at getting around them that I felt like it wasn't trying at all.

Nailed the brakes, man that thing stops quick without much fanfare.

Now the waiting game.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Try it again at 70+ on the slab. Revs will be above 4k and every time that Kenworth in the lane next to you hits the jake brake you'll get dizzy.

Keep it off the slab and the car is epic. Interstate ride was my only real complaint. Other than that, I loved my 99 more than any car I've ever owned.

0 Not allowed!

I've never met someone who has regretted purchasing a Miata. A friend of mine has one of those blue '99 10th Anniversary models. If you can find one of those, it's one of the nicest of the NBs. It still looks and drives as well as when he picked it up in 2002. Better, in fact, since he threw a turbo on it a couple years ago. Miatas are tons of fun with boost, but loop easily due to the relatively narrow tires and short wheelbase.

I'd like to pick-up an NC, throw some wide tires under it, and go hoon it at the autocross. However, they are still in ap1 S2000 territory.

Good luck on your impending purchase.

0 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S