Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Microsoft Office for Mac

Microsoft Office for Mac

so i just updated my Mac and Macbook to the newest OS and now my Office is useless. Through the App store the only option is to go on premium for like $70/yr. Any suggestions? Should I just buy a one-time cost from bestbuy/online?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Microsoft Office for Mac

I use Libre office but my needs are pretty light. It works just fine for what I need. I do not use it work work purposes so Im not sure what if any compatability issues you may have trying to covert to MS based files like xls, doc, ppt etc.

Could always check TPB if you use a VPN service and are careful with what you install.

Last edited by 01xj; 09-28-20 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    so i just updated my Mac and Macbook to the newest OS and now my Office is useless. Through the App store the only option is to go on premium for like $70/yr. Any suggestions? Should I just buy a one-time cost from bestbuy/online?
    Do you know anyone with a .edu email address?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Do you know anyone with a .edu email address?
    i have one of those

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Im not sure what if any compatability issues you may have trying to covert to MS based files like xls, doc, ppt etc.
    There are. In theory they're roughly compatible, but the minor incompatibilities are annoying enough that I'd consider it not feasible for anything more than the most basic requirements.

If you need something as a reader, then it'll probably work fine. If you want something to publish/edit stuff, you probably want the real thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Could always check TPB if you use a VPN service and are careful with what you install.
    For something you might use professionally, $70/yr is not worth the risk. Just because your computer didn't turn to ash doesn't mean it isn't now part of a botnet or embedding stuff in the files you send out.

nedirtriders.com

Everything is subscription based now.

I use Google docs almost exclusively.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I gave up on MS products years ago and have used Apple Numbers (Excel), Pages (Word) and Keynote (Powerpoint) without issue. They have seamlessly opened the MS documents and save them in the Apple native formats. These are all free with Mac OS.

x

edit: truth be told, I use Adobe InDesign for page layout/ word processing more than Pages. I have a subscription to the whole Adobe CC suite but would not subscribe just to use InDesign.

Last edited by Studio X; 09-28-20 at 06:40 PM.
    2012 D675R / 2010 Tiger 1050

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    There are. In theory they're roughly compatible, but the minor incompatibilities are annoying enough that I'd consider it not feasible for anything more than the most basic requirements.

If you need something as a reader, then it'll probably work fine. If you want something to publish/edit stuff, you probably want the real thing.

For something you might use professionally, $70/yr is not worth the risk. Just because your computer didn't turn to ash doesn't mean it isn't now part of a botnet or embedding stuff in the files you send out.
    Good point. It's been so long since I've used my personal computer for work that's probably not a good route.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    i have one of those
    I thought it was cheaper, but it's $70/year. My bad

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

So I have had my current office version since 2015. Use Word, PP and Excel. Since I haven’t really used any newer features am I better of buying the one time one user one equipment office for $150 or its worth going to the annual $70+/yr (which they can increase whenever they like) ?

Well, I get discount through work and a friend needed it also so we Split the cost. Thanks everyone for the help.