Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Results 301 to 316 of 316

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

  1. #301
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research


    dealer called yesterday and told us it would be in on the 13th and that they would be in touch soon...i ordered smart liner mats and toughpro cargo mat on amazon (car doesn't come with mats)...i should have them before the car is here...i'm waiting to order oil change parts and a wireless carplay adapter until we get the car and run it a bit...can't think of anything else i need at this point...maybe a cell phone holder but i would wait on that cause carplay may make it unnecessary

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  2. #302
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    If you have carplay coming into the head unit, then you really dont need a phone holder, as the cars display will show you all the info you need to know, the last 3 cars ive had with car play and we just toss the phone in the cupholder.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #303
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    If you have carplay coming into the head unit, then you really dont need a phone holder, as the cars display will show you all the info you need to know, the last 3 cars ive had with car play and we just toss the phone in the cupholder.
    I guess it’s CarPlay capable if you plug the phone into the usb port in front of the cup holder...if you want wireless, it needs an adapter plugged into that port...I’ll probably get the adapter...she can keep her phone in her bag that way or like you said put it in the cup holder or the wireless charge pad in front of the cup holders

    This car has way too many bells and whistles for me...too much electronics to learn...I hope they are intuitive and all work fine for the life of the car...I bet there is a manual just for the infotainment system


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-08-21 at 07:04 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  4. #304
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,555

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    The OEM infotainment systems seem pretty lame. The Ford Edge we rented had very limited display options and app support.

    My 2005 Outback has a KENWOOD DNX996XR, which was about $1,000 2-3 years ago. Has wired and wireless CarPlay, Garmin GPS, DVD, backup camera, steering wheel controls, touch screen, etc., etc.

    https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx996xr/

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-08-21 at 07:55 AM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

  5. #305
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The OEM infotainment systems seem pretty lame. The Ford Edge we rented had very limited display options and app support.

    My 2005 Outback has a KENWOOD DNX996XR, which was about $1,000 2-3 years ago. Has wired and wireless CarPlay, Garmin GPS, DVD, backup camera, steering wheel controls, touch screen, etc., etc.

    https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dnx996xr/
    that's a pretty nice setup...coming from not having an infotainment system to now having one i'm sure the oem one will suffice...going to spend enough on the car...only getting stuff that i feel are must haves for efficiency/safety/convenience...i figure if it can handle gps apps, phone calls, music and podcasts then we are good...


    so much to learn...

    https://www.kiatechinfo.com/ext_If/k...ntent_pop.aspx

    https://www.kiatechinfo.com/ext_If/k...ntent_pop.aspx

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  6. #306
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    8/27
    the check engine light came on in the grand marquis...plugged in the code reader...misfire in cylinder 1...consulted the internet to diagnose (link below)...went to autozone and picked up a new spark plug...gapped and replaced spark plug in cylinder 1 and swapped coil pack from cylinder 1 with cylinder 2...erased the code...if the code comes back on cylinder 1 I know it’s not the spark plug or the coil pack...if it comes back on cylinder 2 I know it’s the coil pack

    9/8
    Drove it since 8/27 and noticed it’s still misfiring so just waiting for check engine light to come back on...comes back on today...plugged in the code reader...misfire on cylinder 2...so I ordered a new coil pack...should be back in action by early next week...hopefully I’m right and hopefully we have the new car by then

    https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...grand-marquis/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  7. #307
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,210

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    8/27
    the check engine light came on in the grand marquis...plugged in the code reader...misfire in cylinder 1...consulted the internet to diagnose (link below)...went to autozone and picked up a new spark plug...gapped and replaced spark plug in cylinder 1 and swapped coil pack from cylinder 1 with cylinder 2...erased the code...if the code comes back on cylinder 1 I know it’s not the spark plug or the coil pack...if it comes back on cylinder 2 I know it’s the coil pack

    9/8
    Drove it since 8/27 and noticed it’s still misfiring so just waiting for check engine light to come back on...comes back on today...plugged in the code reader...misfire on cylinder 2...so I ordered a new coil pack...should be back in action by early next week...hopefully I’m right and hopefully we have the new car by then

    https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...grand-marquis/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just because the CEL doesn't come on, that doesn't mean there aren't codes being generated. If you feel it misfiring you can scan it and pull the miss code, or dependent on your code reader you can leave it plugged in and monitor real-time.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #308
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Just because the CEL doesn't come on, that doesn't mean there aren't codes being generated. If you feel it misfiring you can scan it and pull the miss code, or dependent on your code reader you can leave it plugged in and monitor real-time.
    Good to know...thanks...I thought the light had to come on for a code to be read


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  9. #309
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    401

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    you can swap coil packs around to verify one went bad. it will throw a different code. same for injectors and spark plugs. also can do a compression check while the plug is out.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #310
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    you can swap coil packs around to verify one went bad. it will throw a different code. same for injectors and spark plugs. also can do a compression check while the plug is out.
    Thanks...That’s what I did...but I put a new spark plug at the same time since it’s a cheap part and I didn’t want to pull cylinder 2 spark plug if I didn’t have to...the less I have to touch the less of a chance that something goes wrong...just want to get it squared away and ready to sell soon since the new car will be coming home this week


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-12-21 at 08:23 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  11. #311

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    oh ffs...the ford modular

    replace all the coil packs (cheapo amazon packs are fine...buy spare), plugs if you're very careful (be wary of stripped threads needing a re-tap & heli coil using the kits out there...if none strip out, be sure not to over torque them)...replace the PCV w' a motorcraft & clean the IAC/replace it if you have high idle and clean the MAF sensor using a MAF sensor cleaner spray from autozone. "modular maintenance" You can fit 35's without rubbing if you...oh wait, wrong group.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-13-21 at 12:42 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  12. #312
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    oh ffs...the ford modular

    replace all the coil packs (cheapo amazon packs are fine...buy spare), plugs if you're very careful (be wary of stripped threads needing a re-tap & heli coil using the kits out there...if none strip out, be sure not to over torque them)...replace the PCV w' a motorcraft & clean the IAC/replace it if you have high idle and clean the MAF sensor using a MAF sensor cleaner spray from autozone. "modular maintenance" You can fit 35's without rubbing if you...oh wait, wrong group.
    i was going to replace all the spark plugs but i decided the less i touch the less chance i screw something up...we plan to sell the grand marquis once the new car is home...the new car should be home tomorrow so "the boat" will be going up for sale shortly...it is a little rough starting (which is why i was going to replace all the plugs) but other than that and the misfire which should be fixed tonight once the new coil pack comes in today it runs pretty well for it's age...not sure what we should ask for it...i will have to consult KBB, CL and marketplace

    Midsize SUV Shopping/Research-1-jpg

    Midsize SUV Shopping/Research-2-jpg

    Midsize SUV Shopping/Research-3-jpg

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-14-21 at 09:27 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  13. #313
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    heading up to pick up the car today...i'm sure there will be lots of electronics questions

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  14. #314
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Plans changed...heading up to get the car Saturday morning


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  15. #315
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    11,555

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    heading up to pick up the car today...i'm sure there will be lots of electronics questions
    Exciting!

    There are some very good intro videos on YouBoob.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

  16. #316
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,457

    Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

    Picked it up this morning...put the smartliner floor mats in, the toughpro cargo mat, the car seat and all the other items she had in her car before...set up the seat memory settings and parked it in the garage...fit pretty well...still have to go through all the controls and settings but she likes it which is what matters


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •