Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    saying it may be axle grease mixed with water.
    that's.. not how chemistry works. 9:30 in

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    that's.. not how chemistry works. 9:30 in

that's what i said to him...the consistency isn't grease...there are drips on the garage floor...grease doesn't drip like that...it was oil

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

have my wife checking under her car before she leaves work and i have been checking under it while in the garage...no more leaks thus far...not sure if i want to bring it to the dealer and have them start to tear it apart looking for a leak that all evidence was washed away by the storm...i plan to take a really good look when i do the first oil change...it's got a little over 1,700 miles now and the oil change intervals are 8k miles by the maintenance schedule...i'll probably do it around 7,500 miles

Hypertarded

called the dealer...no loaners...there would be a charge for a tow...may be able to tow it if my wife still has AAA...
    These stories are the kind of shit that keep me from seriously considering or recommending anything from Hyundai / Kia, this is hardly the 1st story i've heard like this with a new vehicle from them. It would be one thing if their products were "$ubstantially" less than comparable Honda & Toyota products (and NO, Honda / Toyota are hardly perfect) but the initial saving will surely be lost by year 4-5 with lost re-sale value AND potential out of pocket $$$ for un-warrantied problems.

Was talking with my friend at the local Toyota dealer about the new GR86 delivery date, and while we were in the parking lot a new Genisis GV-80 was pulling into the Hyundai dealer next door, on a flat bed. I made a comment about initial quality and he said, "Yeah, that's not the 1st one i've seen towed back, they've got some issues next door, I stay away."

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    These stories are the kind of shit that keep me from seriously considering or recommending anything from Hyundai / Kia, this is hardly the 1st story i've heard like this with a new vehicle from them. It would be one thing if their products were "$ubstantially" less than comparable Honda & Toyota products (and NO, Honda / Toyota are hardly perfect) but the initial saving will surely be lost by year 4-5 with lost re-sale value AND potential out of pocket $$$ for un-warrantied problems.

Was talking with my friend at the local Toyota dealer about the new GR86 delivery date, and while we were in the parking lot a new Genisis GV-80 was pulling into the Hyundai dealer next door, on a flat bed. I made a comment about initial quality and he said, "Yeah, that's not the 1st one i've seen towed back, they've got some issues next door, I stay away."
    if this car ends up having a bunch of problems it will be the last kia/hyundai we own...it's her car so for the most part she will be paying for the maintenance...i wanted a pilot or a highlander...the pilots sound like they have their own issues though...may be able to sell it back for more than we paid after a year or 2

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research-0e249c0b-6d9d-4fa3-8cf2-9576bd28ee06

I bought my wife a Hyundai Elantra back in 2014 and it has 108,000 on it right now besides maintenance I put an $18 crank sensor the car has been fantastic

She can no longer drive so I’ve been using it since it’s cheaper to commute than my truck

I was in the auto glass industry for almost 20 years and I’ve been to every dealership around doesn’t matter what brand they all have issues

Last edited by zxme; 10-29-21 at 02:52 PM.

if you are doing your own oil changes there is no better time than right now to begin using an oil analysis service.

if you are doing your own oil changes there is no better time than right now to begin using an oil analysis service.
    if you're talking to me i will be doing my own oil changes but what would be the reasoning for doing an oil analysis on a new car?

Rejoined the SUV club. 2001 4Runner. Classic body-on-frame 3rd Gen 4Runner, indestructible V6, 4 speed auto, on-the-fly switch to 4WD, hi and low range, locking rear diff. 113,000 miles.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-29-21 at 04:58 PM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

if you're talking to me i will be doing my own oil changes but what would be the reasoning for doing an oil analysis on a new car?
    They are extremely sensitive to metal and any other engine contamination. On a healthy new engine, they can find issues up to a year before they break, and they will also tell you if you need to shorten your oil change interval, and if your oil filter is doing an good job. If you buy in bulk, I can imagine lots of situations where the $300 over 10 years would pay for itself. The analysis would probably hold up in small claims court, and help you get out of warranty service. If you plan on keeping the car a little more than past its warranty, its worth it.

I started doing oil analysis on every change on every vehicle just last year. I simply find it interesting to put hard figures on engine wear and it's gratifying when they report back my engine(s) is (are) healthy. If you start on a fresh motor it would give a nice baseline, but it is kinda pricey for what it is.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

They are extremely sensitive to metal and any other engine contamination. On a healthy new engine, they can find issues up to a year before they break, and they will also tell you if you need to shorten your oil change interval, and if your oil filter is doing an good job. If you buy in bulk, I can imagine lots of situations where the $300 over 10 years would pay for itself. The analysis would probably hold up in small claims court, and help you get out of warranty service. If you plan on keeping the car a little more than past its warranty, its worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I started doing oil analysis on every change on every vehicle just last year. I simply find it interesting to put hard figures on engine wear and it's gratifying when they report back my engine(s) is (are) healthy. If you start on a fresh motor it would give a nice baseline, but it is kinda pricey for what it is.
    how much do they run?...any good companies to go with for testing?...not sure if i will test it or not but it doesn't hurt to be informed

how much do they run?...any good companies to go with for testing?...not sure if i will test it or not but it doesn't hurt to be informed
    Blackstone Labs are the gold standard

If I recall its about $40?

I ran a test recently as I was curious to the engine health and whether the head gasket job that I did was really needed

This is a type of report that I got. Among with actual reported numbers in a graph. I had high Iron and Lead

"Blown head gaskets typically allow coolant to get into the oil, but there's no evidence of that in this
    sample. Iron comes from steel parts, and lead is typically from bearings. Together, those metals can show
    extra wear at a bearing/shaft interface. Iron can also come from other steel parts, though, and lead could be
    harmless if it's blow-by from leaded fuel or an octane booster. Watch for low oil pressure if possible, and
    listen for a knock. The cause of the misfire isn't obvious here, since the rest of the metals look okay. Check
    back."

I thought it was neat and worth it.

I use Blackstone as well. The report is $30 without TBN and $40 with TBN. You can prepay for reports in advance to save more money, but unfortunately these do not include TBN (I just called them on Friday to confirm I can't prepay for TBN in bulk to save some money). TBN is good if you wish to extend your changes. Blackstone mails you as many kits as you'd like for "free". The kits include everything you need to collect and safely seal your sample and come with a prepaid USPS shipping container. You can prepay online (what I do) or put your CC info on the slip they provide with any details you'd like them to know. Then just drop it in the mail. I get a report back in about 2 weeks or less in most cases.

Black stone is pretty cool. Done it on all the oil changes on my Ktm 1290, since it’s the first new vehicle I’ve bought and there were some concerns with dirt ingress. Mines been good. Just interesting the commentary on the test. They said higher iron on mine but with others with the same engine, they had higher iron and no comment. Not sure why the difference in commentary.

yes, try blackstone. buy in bulk and its only $27/year if you do it every other oil change:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/product/bulk-samples/

I forgot to mention, there is some cost savings to be had when doing the analysis. I have extended intervals on several vehicles, so I either break-even price-wise or more likely spend a bit more but also I'm saving time. It has changed my preconceived notion on when to change engine oil and lets me nerd out on this forum or with other petrol heads.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Learned about oil analysis in the Army. An M60 tank has a 30 liter V12 twin turbo air cooled diesel. It’s really air/oil cooled and holds 34 gallons. Tanks operate under full load all the time, and we were a border patrol unit in a Germany so they might run between 5 and 50 hours a month. The combat vehicles were all tested monthly.

In my work fleet, we only tested when we thought there was a problem, or at 50,000 and 100,000. We originally used a local outfit but switched to Blackstone so we could compare our results with others.

Asked a Tribologist once if there was any benefit to changing oil early. “Yes! You create very high quality waste oil!” The oil life systems usually suggested changes at 9-10,000 miles.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Any experience with SH-AWD RDX/MDX?

Your park avenue leads to..