Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

For that size Iíd agree that a rav is the way to go...while all electric sounds nice...the cost is high, if you need repairs there are not many dealers as they could have waits, not many charging stations so you have to plan your route if you have to go far, youíd want to do electrical work to get a fast charging station in your house, battery tech is too big still for battery swap stations...the infrastructure isnít there yet...a hybrid is the way to go if you want to save mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Go RAV4 prime.

2nd fastest 0-60 vehicle Toyota makes currently, only behind the Supra.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

I have to look up past redesign years and future redesign years for my choices as well...may push the legacy longer due to only going into work a couple days a week right now since I can work from home 3 days a week

At the moment I want the pilot awd cause Iíve done a little homework but my wife doesnít based on looks...from what Iíve read itís pretty spacious in the rear as well as the rear seats...the highlander rear seat is for kids back hatch is too slanted it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 01-31-21 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    For that size I’d agree that a rav is the way to go...while all electric sounds nice...the cost is high, if you need repairs there are not many dealers as they could have waits, not many charging stations so you have to plan your route if you have to go far, you’d want to do electrical work to get a fast charging station in your house, battery tech is too big still for battery swap stations...the infrastructure isn’t there yet...a hybrid is the way to go if you want to save mpg
    meh, it really depends on what you want to deal with. All EVs put high weight on initial costs while something like Rav4 moves these high initial costs to years 6+ and then they don't stop. and yes EV repairs take time, but so does taking the car into the dealer for oil, filters, coils, spark plugs, transmission, etc.. plus parts.. same thing for refueling. consider the time stopping to get gas vs just unplug and leave your house, then stop for 30 minutes and go 300 more miles. and yes in 15 years everyone will want a nema plug and EV charger installed in their garage or driveway because the US won't be selling many/any cars or SUVs in 15 years. so that's more of a 'thanks for surviving, welcome to the future' tax. I guess my conclusion is if you plan on buying a Rav4 for like 6 years of ownership go for it. but if you plan on owning for more than 6 years I don't buy that hybrid is a better choice because it becomes less of a problem to do the job of moving you and your stuff around with an EV.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Go RAV4 prime.

2nd fastest 0-60 vehicle Toyota makes currently, only behind the Supra.
    Currently almost unobtanium...

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research-r4p-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    meh, it really depends on what you want to deal with. All EVs put high weight on initial costs while something like Rav4 moves these high initial costs to years 6+ and then they don't stop. and yes EV repairs take time, but so does taking the car into the dealer for oil, filters, coils, spark plugs, transmission, etc.. plus parts.. same thing for refueling. consider the time stopping to get gas vs just unplug and leave your house, then stop for 30 minutes and go 300 more miles. and yes in 15 years everyone will want a nema plug and EV charger installed in their garage or driveway because the US won't be selling many/any cars or SUVs in 15 years. so that's more of a 'thanks for surviving, welcome to the future' tax. I guess my conclusion is if you plan on buying a Rav4 for like 6 years of ownership go for it. but if you plan on owning for more than 6 years I don't buy that hybrid is a better choice because it becomes less of a problem to do the job of moving you and your stuff around with an EV.
    i agree it all depends what you want to deal with...personally i put a lot of miles on my cars and i do nothing to them other than oil/filter changes, tires and brakes and anything that really needs to be done...my 13' legacy is around 184k miles now and it's been pretty much just those first 3 maintenance items (and some extra oil)...and while i want a EV all the things i highlighted in my previous post are holding me back...and i forgot to mention the lack of competition...currently you have 17 choices and most of them are glove boxes on wheels/fugly and a few are luxury/expensive...in 2021 there are a bunch coming to the US though, including some trucks and suvs which is what i would go for if i could justify it, namely the Rivian models but i'm sure they are stupid expensive and out of my price range...but the battery ranges look good...i'll wait for things to progress more, battery tech/infrastructure to get better, dealers/charging stations to become more prevalent, prices to come down, competition/driving ranges to go up, etc. before i get into a EV...i'd rather be a late adopter than early and have to deal with all the issues

2020 US electric vehicles

Audi E-Tron
    BMW i3
    Chevrolet Bolt EV
    Honda Clarity Electric
    Hyundai Ioniq Electric
    Hyundai Kona Electric
    Jaguar I-Pace
    Kia Niro EV
    Mini Cooper SE
    Nissan Leaf
    Nissan Leaf Plus
    Porsche Taycan
    Tesla Model 3
    Tesla Model S
    Tesla Model X
    Tesla Model Y
    Volkswagen E-Golf

i'll wait for things to progress more, battery tech/infrastructure to get better, dealers/charging stations to become more prevalent, prices to come down, competition/driving ranges to go up, etc. before i get into a EV...i'd rather be a late adopter than early and have to deal with all the issues

this is the smartest move. if you can wait 365 days, it will be clear which EVs are keepers and which are long-term jokes for the buyer. the vehicle that will retain the most value for 2021+ should be the cybertruck and model Y, but that's just my guess. they haven't even begun production of the damn truck so who knows if it can even be done. its the same thing as "when is the best time to buy a new smartphone" problem. you won't regret it until you see the next model that has better things. still though, EV > ICE for the long term

Last edited by PurplePackage; 02-05-21 at 05:04 PM. Reason: EV>ICE

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    this is the smartest move. if you can wait 365 days, it will be clear which EVs are keepers and which are long-term jokes for the buyer. the vehicle that will retain the most value for 2021+ should be the cybertruck and model Y, but that's just my guess. they haven't even begun production of the damn truck so who knows if it can even be done. its the same thing as "when is the best time to buy a new smartphone" problem. you won't regret it until you see the next model that has better things. still though, EV > ICE for the long term
    i believe you are right...an EV will be the way to go in the future...just not yet

Not to get off topic (I didn't go back through the thread to see if you were still considering used). See this link to check and see if all the recalls have been done. Just type in the VIN number https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
    As recalls are covered by the dealer at no cost it might make help to drop a price.

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    Not to get off topic (I didn't go back through the thread to see if you were still considering used). See this link to check and see if all the recalls have been done. Just type in the VIN number https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
    As recalls are covered by the dealer at no cost it might make help to drop a price.
    Zero chance of that happening. Legally a dealer cant sell a car that has an open safety recall. And if is say a ford car at a ford store the costs are paid for by Ford to the dealer. Now if there was a Toyota on a Ford lot then they have to send the car to their local Toyota dealer to rectify the recall.

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Zero chance of that happening. Legally a dealer cant sell a car that has an open safety recall. And if is say a ford car at a ford store the costs are paid for by Ford to the dealer. Now if there was a Toyota on a Ford lot then they have to send the car to their local Toyota dealer to rectify the recall.
    thanks fellas...yes i am considering used but probably from a dealer vs a private party...

i just went on edmunds and wikipedia and found the most recent redesign years for each model and put that info in the original post...does anyone know if there is a good resource/webpage to find info about any future planned redesigns?

edit: from searching it seems like these models will get redesigned for 2022...i'll probably be waiting to see what they offer since i'm only going into work a couple days a week at the moment

honda pilot

acura mdx

mazda cx9

lexus rx350l

nissan pathfinder

Last edited by Point37; 02-23-21 at 02:11 PM.

We looked extensively on 3 row SUVs recently. 2021 models only.
    Came down to the Pilot and the CX9.
    The pilot has more room and the panoramic roof is sick.
    The Mazda feels more luxurious and drives much nicer/sportier.
    At the premium packages the Mazda is also cheaper.
    We also have the relationship with the dealership so we went with that one.

i'd tend to lean away from the mazda personally because of the low towing...but if there are going to be a few redesigns coming in 2022 i think i'm going to wait to check them out

honda pilot Would buy homerun solid family choice, but very vanilla

acura mdx just a nice pilot, all the pluses of the pilot with more luxury feel

mazda cx9 amazing, but if you actually need the 3rd row, its kinda tight for adults

lexus rx350l the third row is a joke, and becuase of it, looking at it from the side its ungainly. but if i wanted a 2 row suv hands down it would be one if these and id drive it to the wheels fall off. I think i suggested a GX460 prior if you really want to tow, but the mpg sucksssssss

nissan pathfinder i wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. fuck that transmission. they blow up with out warning then your fucked.
    speaking from 1st hand dealer experience with most of these except the honda/acura

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    speaking from 1st hand dealer experience with most of these except the honda/acura
    thanks...i'm not a luxury type of person so the lexus is out for me (not sure about her)...i'd consider the acura only if we go used but i would rather not pay a premium price for a fancy pilot...the nissan is out for me cause of the cvt...the mazda is out for me cause of the rear size and low towing...i'm still between the highlander and the pilot but leaning towards the pilot...i would like to see the redesigns though cause there may be a better choice by that time

You'd be suprised at the price of a cpo mdx.

2017s with under 20k miles are under 30k
    meanwhile a pilot elite model is are the same price with over 30K on them

Based on everything you’re saying get a pilot and don’t look back.
    Even with a redesign on the CX9 don’t expect a higher towing rate. Not what mazda is focusing not what their clientele cares about. You don’t care about luxury you don’t care about vanilla feels, the Pilot checks all your boxes. MDX price tag is just silly. Like others said the Nissan is an option only if you can get it for free.

Lifer

The new Pathfinder looks promising. No more CVT - it's big fault. The V6 is still a peach and it looks a tad more rugged than before. I agree - can't go wrong with a Pilot

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

I would stay away from the pilot to be honest. It has a similar rearend to my 2007 ridgeline. At 100k miles, if I didn't change the rear-end fluid before 25k mile interval, you could hear some noise/judder out of the diff when taking off from a stop and turning. It didn't inspire much confidence. It had the same notes as the 2020 pilot (below). We didn't drive it off road, or anything crazy, other than typical NE snow storms. Changing the diff oil every 15k is obnoxious. Lease, I wouldn't worry.

*5: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of
    mechanical (Shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than
    recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions,
    have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I would stay away from the pilot to be honest. It has a similar rearend to my 2007 ridgeline. At 100k miles, if I didn't change the rear-end fluid before 25k mile interval, you could hear some noise/judder out of the diff when taking off from a stop and turning. It didn't inspire much confidence. It had the same notes as the 2020 pilot (below). We didn't drive it off road, or anything crazy, other than typical NE snow storms. Changing the diff oil every 15k is obnoxious. Lease, I wouldn't worry.

*5: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of
    mechanical (Shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than
    recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions,
    have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
    eeek.

figure the dealer is going to charge at least $150-190 for that service.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    The new Pathfinder looks promising. No more CVT - it's big fault. The V6 is still a peach and it looks a tad more rugged than before. I agree - can't go wrong with a Pilot
    yea not too bad
    https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/f...athfinder.html

Still a Nissan. I'd buy a Korean make over them any day at this point, and I'm not too sold on the Koreans for long term ownership yet.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Still a Nissan. I'd buy a Korean make over them any day at this point, and I'm not too sold on the Koreans for long term ownership yet.
    i'm not a huge fan of nissan but i'm not sure i would trust the korean twins over one for high mileage...my wife's '14 maxima hasn't been too tough to deal with...yet...

but i'm also typically not fond of buying a new redesigned vehicle until the second year it's out so they can work out the kinks

We just rented a brand new Nissan Sentra. It drove like it had 200k on the chassis and sounded like ass. LOL. Also had the big Hyundai SUV. That thing was pretty fugly, but functionally a good rig. Nicer ride than the nissan, but it was pretty bare bones options wise.

Paul_E_D

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast