Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

Lifer

Re: Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    We just rented a brand new Nissan Sentra. It drove like it had 200k on the chassis and sounded like ass. LOL. Also had the big Hyundai SUV. That thing was pretty fugly, but functionally a good rig. Nicer ride than the Nissan, but it was pretty bare bones options wise.
    Yeah, agree. Sentra looks good but doesn't drive like the Sentras from 30 years ago. I remember my 1991 SE-R - it was a wolf in Sheep's clothing. Great car. I know that Nissan is capable of making great products. It has the know how. It is all about cost and revenue. I think they are seeing the sales number plummet and realize they need to change something. They can't keep relying on the rental car industry to support the business. I hope that the new Pathfinder will be a step in the right direction. The Nissan Armada (Petrol) is a direct competitor to the Toyota Landcruiser and for the price, an excellent big SUV

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    this is the smartest move. if you can wait 365 days, it will be clear which EVs are keepers and which are long-term jokes for the buyer. the vehicle that will retain the most value for 2021+ should be the cybertruck and model Y, but that's just my guess. they haven't even begun production of the damn truck so who knows if it can even be done. its the same thing as "when is the best time to buy a new smartphone" problem. you won't regret it until you see the next model that has better things. still though, EV > ICE for the long term
    Found this article interesting...

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...xAs6sl2mGviKjQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Looks like a pretty biased news source.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Looks like a pretty biased news source.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN28B5Q8

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that we have energy supply problems as is. Taking plants off line and increasing electrical demand means that energy has to come from somewhere. If the growth in renewables and storage doesn't keep up with demand that energy is gonna come "dirty" sources and/or we may have TX style rolling blackouts to contend with.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

We don't have an energy supply problem.

We have a greed problem within the energy infrastructure of the US.

When companies are more concerned with paying out dividends to shareholders than investing/upgrading their equipment, this is what happens.

Growth in renewables would be going a lot better if people actually believed in the science.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

as a non tesla ev owner I agree the charging infastructe sucks balls. with that being said once EVs get more popular, I think, your going to see most people investing in a level 2 home charger, as at current speeds they are able of putting recharging most evs over night*
    I think more workplaces will add ev charging as a perk, but as these cars get more popular, who knows where it will end. Right now my wife is enjoying the free juice from work, and every mile she or I charge at work is one im not paying for.
    Tesla's supercharger network system is pretty great, but they really fucked everyone with doing their own special charger as opposed to using the current standards that every other other maker has agreed to use.

With our current bolt Ev is is not good enough to take a road trip out of state, but works great as an everyday car for my wife,

*(your charging time may vary, but most evs now have batteries in the 60kw-70kwh capacity.)

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that we have energy supply problems as is. Taking plants off line and increasing electrical demand means that energy has to come from somewhere. If the growth in renewables and storage doesn't keep up with demand that energy is gonna come "dirty" sources and/or we may have TX style rolling blackouts to contend with.
    Obviously, electric cars are only as green as where the electricity is produced, and we need more clean electricity as we add more ev's to the grid. It's this bs spin in the article that's weak. How will we generate power to meet the new level of demand? Some will claim we can do it by ramping up renewables — wind and solar — but that’s not realistic.
    Click on the front page and tell me it isn't Newsmax in digital form. https://pjmedia.com/

This is just the next step in the playbook from climate change isn't man made to now it's too late/too expensive to do anything about it. I'm tired of it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Obviously, electric cars are only as green as where the electricity is produced, and we need more clean electricity as we add more ev's to the grid. It's this bs spin in the article that's weak. How will we generate power to meet the new level of demand? Some will claim we can do it by ramping up renewables — wind and solar — but that’s not realistic.
    Click on the front page and tell me it isn't Newsmax in digital form. https://pjmedia.com/

This is just the next step in the playbook from climate change isn't man made to now it's too late/too expensive to do anything about it. I'm tired of it.
    I don't think it's that obvious to a lot of people. Plenty of smarmy types out there who don't look beneath the surface when it comes to fuel usage vs total carbon footprint etc... We saw that when the Prius first came out and now the "elite" can be found in Tesla forums.

I don't have to check out anything to know PJ biased is a heavily biased site, which is why I posted the Reuters link to Musks comments. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth hidden amongst all the spin though. Right now we're pinning nothing but hope that renewables and storage tech will be ready after the mandated transition. What could possibly go wrong?

There really aren't any unbiased sources left at this point. They all have their own spin to different degrees. It's impossible to find info at this point that isn't agenda driven. To that end, it's also tiring that people will outright dismiss a source because of it's bias and not look deeper into the issues presented. It's up to us to parse the relevant info out. That's the sad reality we live in now, and why we're all screwed because the bulk of the population wants to be spoon fed headlines and move on with their life.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Both sides argument, again....

Both sides argument, again....
    Spoken like a true partisan.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

And there are nuclear plants everywhere in Europe. 75% of France's power is generated from atoms gettin' dirty.

The US has the most plants, but only about 20% of capacity.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    And there are nuclear plants everywhere in Europe. 75% of France's power is generated from atoms gettin' dirty.

But it terrifies the ‘no-nukes’ dope smoking, man-bun crowd.

If only people researched molten salt reactors and allowed that tech to develop instead of fear mongering...

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

Sure, theres the generation issue, but let's talk about the distribution issue

If only people researched molten salt reactors and allowed that tech to develop instead of fear mongering...
    It really is an interesting alternative to solid fuel. And, Thorium is not suitable for weaponization which is nice.

Advancing nuclear energy tech is probably forever derailed in the US due to the stupidity of our population. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    It really is an interesting alternative to solid fuel. And, Thorium is not suitable for weaponization which is nice.

Advancing nuclear energy tech is probably forever derailed in the US due to the stupidity of our population. Sad.
    What was really cool was the design that would have used our current spent fuel up in the process. Unfortunately that didn't pan out as expected.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Midsize SUV Shopping/Research

Saw the article on Facebook...the comments under the article are enough for me to stay away from Kia/Hyundai

https://www.dailywire.com/news/kia-r...xloiaE0-b8fz9c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Point37; 03-11-21 at 08:00 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I've been planning to have my truck (11 Silverado) for a few more years, but the rust bug has gotten bad enough that it wont pass inspection for the rockers and rear fender (unless I try finding another inspector). They're not horrible, but a couple little poke through holes.
    Been debating for a while now whether I really need a truck once this one dies or if I could just live with something like a Pilot and use a trailer. The AWD is rated for 5000lbs, so I could pull my 2500/3000 lb boat down to the ramp just fine. Pulling the bikes around wouldn't be any issue and any yard work/trash/etc would be fine. It would probably become the wives daily and I'd take her TourX.

The volume of used Pilots still seems to be decent, and 2 to 3 year old ones with 20-30k miles are in the 28k range it seems. That doesn't seem bad when new ones are 40-42k. I'm normally a buy new and hold til it dies type (don't buy someone else's trouble), but in this case I might consider used.

So now I'm shopping a bit more, but also trying to figure out how to patch the holes enough to pass inspection.
    Over the summer I might try cutting out some sections and weld in new pieces. I can borrow a friends welder, but based on my lack of welding experience, it would be a learning curve.
    If I can swing that cheap, I'll put off shopping a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    eeek.

figure the dealer is going to charge at least $150-190 for that service.
    I have to do this with the wifespouse's CRV.

$38 in fluid. 10 minutes of my time.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567