Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mini vacation/getaway with baby

Mini vacation/getaway with baby

Our little man is now 9 months. He has never slept anywhere but our home, and neither have we since he was born.
    The wife used all her vaca time when he was born so we are looking for a quick sort of getaway.
    Something like leave Saturday afternoon and be back by Sunday evening.
    I was thinking maybe rent a cabin in NH/VT.
    But Iím open to ideas.
    Also fellow parents if you have done something similar what do you do for the babyís sleep? We were advices to not have him sleep with us because he will not go back to sleeping on his own again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Mini vacation/getaway with baby

Nearly all decent hotels have pack and play's available to act as a crib for the little squirt. We've traveled a lot with our kid and it's always been fine. The amount of baby shit you'll take with you is staggering, btw.

Don't co-sleep. Ever.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I was going to stress how awesome homeaway/VRBO/etc is for traveling with kids. But for a short weekend trip it probably won't mater enough.

For longer trips having a kitchen to make the mac & cheese they will not eat, followed by the PB&J they have one bite of and then reject, followed by the 100 handfuls of cheerios straight from the box is infinitely easier than dealing with kids at a restaurant. I also get a bit self conscious when the baby starts hucking food everywhere in public. Somehow I'm more laid back about it in private. Being more laid back is worth money for me.

Careful with car length. I know the threshold for our pack is about 1-1.5 hours tops. Beyond that and all hell breaks loose. Our baby has gone through a phase where she cannot handle being in the seat after dark. Perfect for this latitude at this time of the year!

We are extremely fortunate that both our kids sleep like the dead. They both can be a pain in the ass to get to sleep, but once the eyes close you can run a jack-hammer in the room and no regard is provided.
    Our MO is to bring the pack-n-play. Pop that up in the corner and bam, that's where the micro-me sleeps. Exactly that easy.

Sounds like we maybe parent a bit differently though. We have no problem with the kids sleeping in our bed and so don't really concern ourselves with that. My wife often winds up splitting time between our bed and her daughters. This morning I woke up with a 1 year old kicking me in the chin. It works for us.

You want a real challenge? Pack a 5 year old and a 6 month old for 2 weeks in England. US strollers have to be dismantled to fit in the tiny-ass things they call "cars".

Good luck. Is your hair grey yet?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I would also try to keep your drive time short... unless your little one sleeps the whole time? This time of year your kind of limited to where because of the weather? I take it you just want to get away!
    Best option would be to drop the kid with your parents if you have them close and go someplace like Foxwoods?

Last edited by MUZ720; 02-07-20 at 09:49 AM.

I flew with the kid to a wedding in Colorado when mine was 9 months. Flying sucks with a little one. Just stress the whole time.

The mini-vacation isn't going to be a vacation like you've ever had before. It's going to be you and the wife being parents in a different location. Just keep that in mind. But the change of scenery is good to get you out of the cycle.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

We are taking him to Greece in August for 2 weeks. He ll be 15-16 months then. I’m not looking forward to flying with him lol.
    So far he loves car rides. If anything when he’s extra fussy I take him on car rides to relax him.

I honestly didn’t factor in that this would be us just being parents in a new environment without everything we have in place at our home. Hmmm... maybe we should wait. Maybe her and I go somewhere for a few hours instead of overnight.

I'd still recommend doing it, just keep your expectations in check.

A change is good for everyone once in a while.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    We are taking him to Greece in August for 2 weeks.
    Awesome! You'll be fine. Our kids have travelled all their lives. It's not a big deal on the flight. If you remain calm, they remain calm.

Off topic, but have you registered his birth in Greece? EU citizenship is not a bad thing.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Awesome! You'll be fine. Our kids have travelled all their lives. It's not a big deal on the flight. If you remain calm, they remain calm.

Off topic, but have you registered his birth in Greece? EU citizenship is not a bad thing.
    Yes of course. We actually have to register our marriage there too also for tax purposes and because our parents have property there that will eventually be passed on to us?

Simple answer is go here .

https://steelehillresorts.com/

If it fits the bill let me know and I can get you an owners rate on a room or suite.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Simple answer is go here .

https://steelehillresorts.com/

If it fits the bill let me know and I can get you an owners rate on a room or suite.
    nice spot

We traveled a bunch with our son when he was young, at 8 months we went to the UK for 10 days. He did fine on the plane, fine on the train, fine walking around London. Unless there are continuing medical conditions (reflux can be tough on them) I think the kid's experience to traveling pretty closely mimics their caregiver's level of anxiety. Just allow more time to get from point A to point B and get plenty of diapers and wipes. We had a folding pack and play like this one that went everywhere with us.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    We traveled a bunch with our son when he was young, at 8 months we went to the UK for 10 days. He did fine on the plane, fine on the train, fine walking around London. Unless there are continuing medical conditions (reflux can be tough on them) I think the kid's experience to traveling pretty closely mimics their caregiver's level of anxiety. Just allow more time to get from point A to point B and get plenty of diapers and wipes. We had a folding pack and play like this one that went everywhere with us.
    Same. We went to Disney with our daughter last year when she was 2.5. Plus some other destinations before that. If you take some time to plan and set expectations accordingly, traveling with kids is not instant anxiety like some people make it out to be. We never did any one or two day trips with the kid simply because like someone else said, it's just parenting a few hours from home and we didn't find it worth the time. For one day family trips we plan travel around nap time as much as possible.

Also dramimine your friend.

Everyone mostly covered the dos and don't, I think.
    We always bring the pack and play. Can be a little challenge if you want to stay up later than your kid and they have to sleep in the same room, but it works out.

NH/VT is always nice. That's why I live up here.
    Depending on where you go, there's not much to do this time of year with a one year old though.
    If you have one, using a baby backpack can allow you to get out for a little walk/hike. Too much snow to use a stroller in many places.

Cape cod can be nice too. Early spring can still allow walks outside or on the beach, but still chilly. Less people than summer.