Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

modern day job application advice

  1. #1
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,660

    modern day job application advice


    I have been with the same employer since 1984. I'm presently pension eligible and on the lookout for the perfect next job so that I can double dip. There's no urgency as I love what I do, I'm in good financial shape, and I am not willing to take a job I don't really like just for the extra money. I found what I think is the perfect next job and uploaded my .pdf resume and cover letter to the company two weeks ago. I have not heard a word back from them. There's no contact info for the HR department on their website. Should I call the headquarters? Not really sure a follow up is required and not sure how to proceed.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Hypertarded
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,382

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    found what I think is the perfect next job and uploaded my .pdf resume and cover letter to the company two weeks ago. I have not heard a word back from them. There's no contact info for the HR department on their website. Should I call the headquarters? Not really sure a follow up is required and not sure how to proceed.
    In the modern world of job searches, let me just inform you, you have not even begun to wait at 2 weeks. I've waited 2-3 weeks just to get informed that they have received my resume and will "get back to me" to schedule an in person interview. 3 more weeks before they schedule the interview and the interview isn't until 2 weeks after that. Then 3 weeks after the 1st interview the call to schedule a 2nd interview for the "finalists".

    IT FUCKING SUCKS and they have no remorse, sympathy, empathy or concern for your time at all. "it's just our corporate policy", "we are currently very busy and scheduling is difficult", "the decision makers are traveling", "the VP of the department is out on leave", "the position has been delayed due to budget issues, but we are very interested in you". It is beyond infuriating but you have to just deal with it if you hope to move forward in the process.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by FriskyDingo; 12-06-17 at 11:46 AM.

  3. #3
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,830

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I have been with the same employer since 1984. I'm presently pension eligible and on the lookout for the perfect next job so that I can double dip. There's no urgency as I love what I do, I'm in good financial shape, and I am not willing to take a job I don't really like just for the extra money. I found what I think is the perfect next job and uploaded my .pdf resume and cover letter to the company two weeks ago. I have not heard a word back from them. There's no contact info for the HR department on their website. Should I call the headquarters? Not really sure a follow up is required and not sure how to proceed.
    Modern day job hunting involves sending hundreds of resumes and getting very few responses. Good luck.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  4. #4
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: modern day job application advice

    If they're local, it wouldn't hurt to show up in person to hand-deliver someone a copy of your resume. Wear a suit, look nice, mention to the receptionist that you're interested in the position and would like to drop off a resume. Ask for a name and phone number of the appropriate HR person so you can follow up later. If you're lucky, you may get a chance to meet with the HR person or your would-be manager right then.

    I've recently changed from an engineering position to a sales/customer relations position. My boss has been doing it for 35 years, and the point he's been hammering home is that face time with the customer is always good. In this case, you're selling yourself to your potential employer. At the very least, you stand out over however many dozen resumes they receive online.

    If they're not local, then yes, try calling. Good luck.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    48
    Posts
    14,083

    Re: modern day job application advice

    I haven’t looked to change jobs yet, but I’ll be looking to do so in 3-4 more years. What type of company and what position you are going for will help someone better answer your question. I’m in a trade union and have an agent that finds me my next job, so no bs with resumes.
    My partner is in Pharma and has a recruiter (headhunter) contacting him almost weekly with job opportunity. It scared me at first with financials switching jobs every 2-3 years from a stability standpoint, but Pharma companies like to pass out six figure sign on bonuses, so I understand why he is always switching companies.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  6. #6
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,641

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I haven’t looked to change jobs yet, but I’ll be looking to do so in 3-4 more years. What type of company and what position you are going for will help someone better answer your question. I’m in a trade union and have an agent that finds me my next job, so no bs with resumes.
    My partner is in Pharma and has a recruiter (headhunter) contacting him almost weekly with job opportunity. It scared me at first with financials switching jobs every 2-3 years from a stability standpoint, but Pharma companies like to pass out six figure sign on bonuses, so I understand why he is always switching companies.
    Im in the wrong f*cking field.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  7. #7
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,638

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Modern day job hunting involves sending hundreds of resumes and getting very few responses. Good luck.
    Blanket statement and completely untrue.




    stoinky - Face to face has always worked for me. Get an appointment, tour the facility, meet with the people.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Blanket statement and completely untrue.


    Sorry, couldn't resist...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  9. #9
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,830

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Blanket statement and completely untrue.




    stoinky - Face to face has always worked for me. Get an appointment, tour the facility, meet with the people.
    Sarcasm/crass response detector on the fritz?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  10. #10
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: modern day job application advice

    I'm an engineer with 20 years experience in a specialized field and literally a perfect fit for the job. Should I have truncated my experience on my resume to just list the 30 years that are directly applicable to the job they seek to fill, and left off the 13 years prior? I'm worried that with 33 years of total working experience with the same company that they will immediately deduce that I'm too old...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 12-06-17 at 05:04 PM. Reason: fixd some bad math

  11. #11
    Lifer ilikenapalm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,861

    Re: modern day job application advice

    It might not actually be a bad idea to include your birthday or some shit. 51 isn't 61.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    957

    Re: modern day job application advice

    If your a retired older dude, walk into a local car dealer and request that you would like to be a swap driver. Even better for you if its a luxury car dealer. One of my swap guys when I endeded up becoming a very good friend, was a retired cop. he said this was the greatest gig. I call him, he shows up and takes a brand new car somewhere, comes back with a another one. and gets paid. easiest gig in the world. and no one is bothering you all day.

    trick is to get somewhere that will pay you a "day rate" 10-12 bucks and hour aint shit.

    I paid him $120 for any thing out of state. a crappy drive would be to go out to the jersey shore, and take 6 or seven hours. most jobs hes back in under 5

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Lifer Pittenger5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,229

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    It might not actually be a bad idea to include your birthday or some shit. 51 isn't 61.
    Sounds like a good way to get immediately trashed. They will avoid anything that could potentially open themselves up to discrimination claims.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

  14. #14
    Lifer eboos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,473

    Re: modern day job application advice

    My modern job application advise is to not bother. What was your career field? Could you spin that experience off into your own business? Throughout law school, I sent out maybe 10 resumes, did 4 interviews, got 2 offers and took 1 job. I knew that my end goal was to start my own practice, so, after getting a little more than 2 years at the firm where I was, that is what I did.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)


  15. #15
    Lifer BSR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: modern day job application advice

    The biggest problem with most companies these days is that HR handles the gathering of candidates and decides who will initially be brought in. Unfortunately, most of the time they don't know enough about the job to bring the right people forward.

    I got my current job through an internal referral. I applied about two weeks after it was initially posted. The posting then sat open for MONTHS until my buddy finally found out I had applied (we hadn't been in touch for a while) and submitted the internal referral. Apparently, my background fit the role like a glove but this wasn't realized until the internal referral put me on the radar. The referral omits the HR step and sends the application directly to the hiring manger. So in short, the job sat open for months because they were struggling to find the right candidate. Meanwhile, my resume which represented a perfect fit, sat in their pool the whole time unnoticed. HR never picked it up.

    This is not limited to the company I am now working for. I saw it all the time as a hiring manager and hear about it from many others in the similar positions. That being said, getting around the HR barrier any way you can is the best way to go about it.
    • Keep a log of all those who contact you as you score initial screenings/phone interviews etc. Even if you don't get the job, later down the line there other openings in the organization may pop up. You can then use that contact to get in the door. This has worked almost 100% of the time. At a minimum it gets me to a second, in-person interview. Most of the time further.
    • I'm not a fan of this one but a lot of people I know use it and it works. Look for someone on LinkedIn that may be in the group the open position likely falls under and connect with them. Just tell them you saw the posting and are interested in learning about the company. Apparently the success rate is pretty high with this.
    • The other key is to try and help HR as much as possible by understanding their recruiting process. Many companies used software to do word scans on your resume so you need to find out what terms that apply to your skillset or background, also apply to the position. Apparently there are tools out there to help you do this, but I've never gone this route so I can't recommend anything.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    It might not actually be a bad idea to include your birthday or some shit. 51 isn't 61.
    not having a DOB on a resume seems to be the norm these days due to age discrimination laws.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    If your a retired older dude, walk into a local car dealer and request that you would like to be a swap driver. Even better for you if its a luxury car dealer. One of my swap guys when I endeded up becoming a very good friend, was a retired cop. he said this was the greatest gig. I call him, he shows up and takes a brand new car somewhere, comes back with a another one. and gets paid. easiest gig in the world. and no one is bothering you all day.

    trick is to get somewhere that will pay you a "day rate" 10-12 bucks and hour aint shit.

    I paid him $120 for any thing out of state. a crappy drive would be to go out to the jersey shore, and take 6 or seven hours. most jobs hes back in under 5
    I'm 51, not retired, and looking for a lot more than 12 bucks an hour in another senior engineering gig.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    The biggest problem with most companies these days is that HR handles the gathering of candidates and decides who will initially be brought in. Unfortunately, most of the time they don't know enough about the job to bring the right people forward.

    I got my current job through an internal referral. I applied about two weeks after it was initially posted. The posting then sat open for MONTHS until my buddy finally found out I had applied (we hadn't been in touch for a while) and submitted the internal referral. Apparently, my background fit the role like a glove but this wasn't realized until the internal referral put me on the radar. The referral omits the HR step and sends the application directly to the hiring manger. So in short, the job sat open for months because they were struggling to find the right candidate. Meanwhile, my resume which represented a perfect fit, sat in their pool the whole time unnoticed. HR never picked it up.

    This is not limited to the company I am now working for. I saw it all the time as a hiring manager and hear about it from many others in the similar positions. That being said, getting around the HR barrier any way you can is the best way to go about it.
    • Keep a log of all those who contact you as you score initial screenings/phone interviews etc. Even if you don't get the job, later down the line there other openings in the organization may pop up. You can then use that contact to get in the door. This has worked almost 100% of the time. At a minimum it gets me to a second, in-person interview. Most of the time further.
    • I'm not a fan of this one but a lot of people I know use it and it works. Look for someone on LinkedIn that may be in the group the open position likely falls under and connect with them. Just tell them you saw the posting and are interested in learning about the company. Apparently the success rate is pretty high with this.
    • The other key is to try and help HR as much as possible by understanding their recruiting process. Many companies used software to do word scans on your resume so you need to find out what terms that apply to your skillset or background, also apply to the position. Apparently there are tools out there to help you do this, but I've never gone this route so I can't recommend anything.
    Thanks for the info. Funny you mention key words, the job description (including all the acronyms) the company posted, reads like my resume, it's uncanny. I was expecting a quick response based on the job fitting me like a glove, but will work it a little harder from other angles as suggested.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Don't put your DOB on there. Put the last 10-15 years of relevant experience. Anything older than that, just put date/company name/job title.

    If it doesn't fit on one page, it's too long.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  20. #20
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milton, MA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,203

    Re: modern day job application advice

    If this is a big company, two weeks this time of year is not very long. They're probably not looking to fill the role until the new year and are working on budgets, bonuses, next year's comp, etc. That's how it is at the place I am at anyway.

    It has been a while since I have looked for a job - but there are different styles of resumes out there. Some people send in side by side charts of the job requirements versus their experience (with a very basic chronological summary) - it's pretty effective.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,337

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    If this is a big company, two weeks this time of year is not very long. They're probably not looking to fill the role until the new year and are working on budgets, bonuses, next year's comp, etc. That's how it is at the place I am at anyway.

    It has been a while since I have looked for a job - but there are different styles of resumes out there. Some people send in side by side charts of the job requirements versus their experience (with a very basic chronological summary) - it's pretty effective.
    Depends on when their fiscal year begins and ends, but yeah.

    Most companies have changed their fiscal year to be January-December. Company I work for is October-September.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  22. #22
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,150

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Don't put your DOB on there. Put the last 10-15 years of relevant experience. Anything older than that, just put date/company name/job title.

    If it doesn't fit on one page, it's too long.
    That does depend on the job, and the level it is at. As an engineering consultant/contractor, I have dropped all experience that is older or that is not directly relevant, and my resume is still 4 pages. But it's all relevant and I often get asked for more details and more info on whichever parts of it the client is most interested in. He sounds like he's aiming at senior engineering, so a 1-page resume is probably not going to be adequate.

    PhilB

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  23. #23
    Powered by Kurtz theducman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Branford CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,545

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    If your a retired older dude, walk into a local car dealer and request that you would like to be a swap driver. Even better for you if its a luxury car dealer. One of my swap guys when I endeded up becoming a very good friend, was a retired cop. he said this was the greatest gig. I call him, he shows up and takes a brand new car somewhere, comes back with a another one. and gets paid. easiest gig in the world. and no one is bothering you all day.

    trick is to get somewhere that will pay you a "day rate" 10-12 bucks and hour aint shit.

    I paid him $120 for any thing out of state. a crappy drive would be to go out to the jersey shore, and take 6 or seven hours. most jobs hes back in under 5
    Calling you in seven years when I can retire Joe

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Honda
    LRRS AM# 772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Yoshimura / Lucas Oil / DP Brakes / AXO America / Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/ Racer Gloves

  24. #24
    Posting Freak Jewcati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    967

    Re: modern day job application advice

    Stoinky,

    Being that you haven't looked for a job in so long, what does your resume look like?

    I receive hundreds of resumes to sift through for my job postings, and when you have to review them quickly, not having a well formatted or attention grabbing resume from the beginning can immediately disqualify you, quite frankly, unfairly.

    I highly recommend investing in a professional resume writer who can take your vast experience and knowledge and appropriately convey it on paper. They will also know how to present you in the most appealing way to minimize potential issues of age discrimination without putting your age out there blatantly.

    Lastly, I find that I have a hard time remembering everything I have done and the experiences I have had. A good resume writer will do an extensive interview with you and pull out the real benefit you can bring to an organization.

    A good writer should run you about $500, but it is money very well spent.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,567

    Re: modern day job application advice

    lurking. been tossing a few resumes around myself

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •