Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

modern day job application advice

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

modern day job application advice

I have been with the same employer since 1984. I'm presently pension eligible and on the lookout for the perfect next job so that I can double dip. There's no urgency as I love what I do, I'm in good financial shape, and I am not willing to take a job I don't really like just for the extra money. I found what I think is the perfect next job and uploaded my .pdf resume and cover letter to the company two weeks ago. I have not heard a word back from them. There's no contact info for the HR department on their website. Should I call the headquarters? Not really sure a follow up is required and not sure how to proceed.

0 Not allowed!

Hypertarded
    iTrader Score

Re: modern day job application advice

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    found what I think is the perfect next job and uploaded my .pdf resume and cover letter to the company two weeks ago. I have not heard a word back from them. There's no contact info for the HR department on their website. Should I call the headquarters? Not really sure a follow up is required and not sure how to proceed.
    In the modern world of job searches, let me just inform you, you have not even begun to wait at 2 weeks. I've waited 2-3 weeks just to get informed that they have received my resume and will "get back to me" to schedule an in person interview. 3 more weeks before they schedule the interview and the interview isn't until 2 weeks after that. Then 3 weeks after the 1st interview the call to schedule a 2nd interview for the "finalists".

IT FUCKING SUCKS and they have no remorse, sympathy, empathy or concern for your time at all. "it's just our corporate policy", "we are currently very busy and scheduling is difficult", "the decision makers are traveling", "the VP of the department is out on leave", "the position has been delayed due to budget issues, but we are very interested in you". It is beyond infuriating but you have to just deal with it if you hope to move forward in the process.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by FriskyDingo; 12-06-17 at 11:46 AM.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I have been with the same employer since 1984. I'm presently pension eligible and on the lookout for the perfect next job so that I can double dip. There's no urgency as I love what I do, I'm in good financial shape, and I am not willing to take a job I don't really like just for the extra money. I found what I think is the perfect next job and uploaded my .pdf resume and cover letter to the company two weeks ago. I have not heard a word back from them. There's no contact info for the HR department on their website. Should I call the headquarters? Not really sure a follow up is required and not sure how to proceed.
    Modern day job hunting involves sending hundreds of resumes and getting very few responses. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score

If they're local, it wouldn't hurt to show up in person to hand-deliver someone a copy of your resume. Wear a suit, look nice, mention to the receptionist that you're interested in the position and would like to drop off a resume. Ask for a name and phone number of the appropriate HR person so you can follow up later. If you're lucky, you may get a chance to meet with the HR person or your would-be manager right then.

I've recently changed from an engineering position to a sales/customer relations position. My boss has been doing it for 35 years, and the point he's been hammering home is that face time with the customer is always good. In this case, you're selling yourself to your potential employer. At the very least, you stand out over however many dozen resumes they receive online.

If they're not local, then yes, try calling. Good luck.

1 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I haven’t looked to change jobs yet, but I’ll be looking to do so in 3-4 more years. What type of company and what position you are going for will help someone better answer your question. I’m in a trade union and have an agent that finds me my next job, so no bs with resumes.
    My partner is in Pharma and has a recruiter (headhunter) contacting him almost weekly with job opportunity. It scared me at first with financials switching jobs every 2-3 years from a stability standpoint, but Pharma companies like to pass out six figure sign on bonuses, so I understand why he is always switching companies.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I haven’t looked to change jobs yet, but I’ll be looking to do so in 3-4 more years. What type of company and what position you are going for will help someone better answer your question. I’m in a trade union and have an agent that finds me my next job, so no bs with resumes.
    My partner is in Pharma and has a recruiter (headhunter) contacting him almost weekly with job opportunity. It scared me at first with financials switching jobs every 2-3 years from a stability standpoint, but Pharma companies like to pass out six figure sign on bonuses, so I understand why he is always switching companies.
    Im in the wrong f*cking field.

3 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Modern day job hunting involves sending hundreds of resumes and getting very few responses. Good luck.
    Blanket statement and completely untrue.

stoinky - Face to face has always worked for me. Get an appointment, tour the facility, meet with the people.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist...

0 Not allowed!
    '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

stoinky - Face to face has always worked for me. Get an appointment, tour the facility, meet with the people.
    Sarcasm/crass response detector on the fritz?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score

I'm an engineer with 20 years experience in a specialized field and literally a perfect fit for the job. Should I have truncated my experience on my resume to just list the 30 years that are directly applicable to the job they seek to fill, and left off the 13 years prior? I'm worried that with 33 years of total working experience with the same company that they will immediately deduce that I'm too old...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 12-06-17 at 05:04 PM. Reason: fixd some bad math

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

It might not actually be a bad idea to include your birthday or some shit. 51 isn't 61.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

If your a retired older dude, walk into a local car dealer and request that you would like to be a swap driver. Even better for you if its a luxury car dealer. One of my swap guys when I endeded up becoming a very good friend, was a retired cop. he said this was the greatest gig. I call him, he shows up and takes a brand new car somewhere, comes back with a another one. and gets paid. easiest gig in the world. and no one is bothering you all day.

trick is to get somewhere that will pay you a "day rate" 10-12 bucks and hour aint shit.

I paid him $120 for any thing out of state. a crappy drive would be to go out to the jersey shore, and take 6 or seven hours. most jobs hes back in under 5

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    It might not actually be a bad idea to include your birthday or some shit. 51 isn't 61.
    Sounds like a good way to get immediately trashed. They will avoid anything that could potentially open themselves up to discrimination claims.

0 Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Used to know a thing or 2 eboos's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

My modern job application advise is to not bother. What was your career field? Could you spin that experience off into your own business? Throughout law school, I sent out maybe 10 resumes, did 4 interviews, got 2 offers and took 1 job. I knew that my end goal was to start my own practice, so, after getting a little more than 2 years at the firm where I was, that is what I did.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

iTrader Score

The biggest problem with most companies these days is that HR handles the gathering of candidates and decides who will initially be brought in. Unfortunately, most of the time they don't know enough about the job to bring the right people forward.

I got my current job through an internal referral. I applied about two weeks after it was initially posted. The posting then sat open for MONTHS until my buddy finally found out I had applied (we hadn't been in touch for a while) and submitted the internal referral. Apparently, my background fit the role like a glove but this wasn't realized until the internal referral put me on the radar. The referral omits the HR step and sends the application directly to the hiring manger. So in short, the job sat open for months because they were struggling to find the right candidate. Meanwhile, my resume which represented a perfect fit, sat in their pool the whole time unnoticed. HR never picked it up.

This is not limited to the company I am now working for. I saw it all the time as a hiring manager and hear about it from many others in the similar positions. That being said, getting around the HR barrier any way you can is the best way to go about it.
    • Keep a log of all those who contact you as you score initial screenings/phone interviews etc. Even if you don't get the job, later down the line there other openings in the organization may pop up. You can then use that contact to get in the door. This has worked almost 100% of the time. At a minimum it gets me to a second, in-person interview. Most of the time further.
    • I'm not a fan of this one but a lot of people I know use it and it works. Look for someone on LinkedIn that may be in the group the open position likely falls under and connect with them. Just tell them you saw the posting and are interested in learning about the company. Apparently the success rate is pretty high with this.
    • The other key is to try and help HR as much as possible by understanding their recruiting process. Many companies used software to do word scans on your resume so you need to find out what terms that apply to your skillset or background, also apply to the position. Apparently there are tools out there to help you do this, but I've never gone this route so I can't recommend anything.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    not having a DOB on a resume seems to be the norm these days due to age discrimination laws.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    If your a retired older dude, walk into a local car dealer and request that you would like to be a swap driver. Even better for you if its a luxury car dealer. One of my swap guys when I endeded up becoming a very good friend, was a retired cop. he said this was the greatest gig. I call him, he shows up and takes a brand new car somewhere, comes back with a another one. and gets paid. easiest gig in the world. and no one is bothering you all day.

trick is to get somewhere that will pay you a "day rate" 10-12 bucks and hour aint shit.

I paid him $120 for any thing out of state. a crappy drive would be to go out to the jersey shore, and take 6 or seven hours. most jobs hes back in under 5
    I'm 51, not retired, and looking for a lot more than 12 bucks an hour in another senior engineering gig.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    The biggest problem with most companies these days is that HR handles the gathering of candidates and decides who will initially be brought in. Unfortunately, most of the time they don't know enough about the job to bring the right people forward.

I got my current job through an internal referral. I applied about two weeks after it was initially posted. The posting then sat open for MONTHS until my buddy finally found out I had applied (we hadn't been in touch for a while) and submitted the internal referral. Apparently, my background fit the role like a glove but this wasn't realized until the internal referral put me on the radar. The referral omits the HR step and sends the application directly to the hiring manger. So in short, the job sat open for months because they were struggling to find the right candidate. Meanwhile, my resume which represented a perfect fit, sat in their pool the whole time unnoticed. HR never picked it up.

This is not limited to the company I am now working for. I saw it all the time as a hiring manager and hear about it from many others in the similar positions. That being said, getting around the HR barrier any way you can is the best way to go about it.
    • Keep a log of all those who contact you as you score initial screenings/phone interviews etc. Even if you don't get the job, later down the line there other openings in the organization may pop up. You can then use that contact to get in the door. This has worked almost 100% of the time. At a minimum it gets me to a second, in-person interview. Most of the time further.
    • I'm not a fan of this one but a lot of people I know use it and it works. Look for someone on LinkedIn that may be in the group the open position likely falls under and connect with them. Just tell them you saw the posting and are interested in learning about the company. Apparently the success rate is pretty high with this.
    • The other key is to try and help HR as much as possible by understanding their recruiting process. Many companies used software to do word scans on your resume so you need to find out what terms that apply to your skillset or background, also apply to the position. Apparently there are tools out there to help you do this, but I've never gone this route so I can't recommend anything.
    Thanks for the info. Funny you mention key words, the job description (including all the acronyms) the company posted, reads like my resume, it's uncanny. I was expecting a quick response based on the job fitting me like a glove, but will work it a little harder from other angles as suggested.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Don't put your DOB on there. Put the last 10-15 years of relevant experience. Anything older than that, just put date/company name/job title.

If it doesn't fit on one page, it's too long.

1 Not allowed!
    '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

iTrader Score

If this is a big company, two weeks this time of year is not very long. They're probably not looking to fill the role until the new year and are working on budgets, bonuses, next year's comp, etc. That's how it is at the place I am at anyway.

It has been a while since I have looked for a job - but there are different styles of resumes out there. Some people send in side by side charts of the job requirements versus their experience (with a very basic chronological summary) - it's pretty effective.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    If this is a big company, two weeks this time of year is not very long. They're probably not looking to fill the role until the new year and are working on budgets, bonuses, next year's comp, etc. That's how it is at the place I am at anyway.

It has been a while since I have looked for a job - but there are different styles of resumes out there. Some people send in side by side charts of the job requirements versus their experience (with a very basic chronological summary) - it's pretty effective.
    Depends on when their fiscal year begins and ends, but yeah.

Most companies have changed their fiscal year to be January-December. Company I work for is October-September.

0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Don't put your DOB on there. Put the last 10-15 years of relevant experience. Anything older than that, just put date/company name/job title.

If it doesn't fit on one page, it's too long.
    That does depend on the job, and the level it is at. As an engineering consultant/contractor, I have dropped all experience that is older or that is not directly relevant, and my resume is still 4 pages. But it's all relevant and I often get asked for more details and more info on whichever parts of it the client is most interested in. He sounds like he's aiming at senior engineering, so a 1-page resume is probably not going to be adequate.

PhilB

1 Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17