Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Go Back To The Moon ??

Re: Go Back To The Moon ??

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    He used the wrong font.
    This guy fucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    How so? I don't see anything different there from my usual. I'm curious what you see that's not my normal.

PhilB
    Lulz. Do you take all your photos with a full size iPad too?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Bwahahaha!

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

the human race will not survive long term without multiple planet habitation

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

Boondoggle make work project.

I am not anti science but when trillions need to be borrowed just so some college professor gets a thrill up his leg, I get off the train

I believe there are quiet a few grandiose projects worth investing, but this NASA isn't one of them

discuss
    Yes stromper, learning about our place in the universe is such a waste of money. Dare I ask your point of view on topics like poetry, drama, art, music? All hoaxes too, since they don't directly help you do whatever it is that you do? May I introduce you to Randy? I think you guys will get along.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Until churches are taxed as for profits, then hell yes spend trillions in space. Hell, just shoot rockets full of money up there and blow it up. Still be less of a waste than the "non-profit" status of religions, aka cults.
    Annoyingly, I am starting to like you. I have found myself agreeing with a lot of your recent material. I don't know what's happening.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-16-17 at 07:20 PM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What horrifies me most about the "trumpism" that has infected this country is that it is suddenly cool to be stupid, ignorant, anti-science.
    I agree with you. However, I don't think it's still 'cool' to be downright dumb, it's just more widely accepted.

Nah, as long as you have a funny talking point you'll win a debate. It's astounding how it unfolds at work. And surprisingly no one cares about actual answers just funny phrases that confirms thier bias

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I have somehow failed to grasp what you guys are getting at.
    I think my position on this is consistent with my usual -- space exploration is good and people should do it. Government is a wasteful, stupid, and unethical way to go about it.
    What's different about this, or "uncharacteristic", than the way I approach anything else?

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I think my position on this is consistent with my usual -- space exploration is good and people should do it. Government is a wasteful, stupid, and unethical way to go about it.
    What's different about this, or "uncharacteristic", than the way I approach anything else?

PhilB
    Who would have taken on the expense of space exploration if not government? There is no basis upon which it could have been justified with any economic return.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Who would have taken on the expense of space exploration if not government? There is no basis upon which it could have been justified with any economic return.
    There is plenty of energy and resources out there to be had. Without government, we might not have gone out there as soon, but we would have done so with the intent of getting something out of it more than "Nyah nyah, we got here first!", and we wouldn't have let the whole thing atrophy to nothing after the politicians had gotten their accolades.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Elon Musk and a decent group of investors.

PhilB
    It’s very consistent with your usual broken record. That you missed the sarcasm when Duncan presented that the first time just opened the door for a quick bit of fun.
    To your next point, I thought we HAD to get there the first time, not just as a neener-neener, but to maintain a position of strength during the Cold War. It was a tactical bluster.
    Anyways, it should not surprise you that I think our tax dollars are better spent on NASA than lining the pockets of black water ceos and the like.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Elon Musk and a decent group of investors.
    Not first, no way this happens without NASA first

Later this week the days start getting longer!! That should help with some of this.

In the old days entities like the post office would award prices to the first individual/company to do something like stage coach even road to towns

so if you insist

Fed award 200 billion to first entity to have a person live on the moon for 2 weeks and return safely

My main point was there is lots to do but there is nothing on the moon, so dont go there

There were ancillary benefits to NASA and the moon shot, making an omelet is great because the egg shells are good for the garden

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

A moon base would be excellent to observe the cosmos without atmospheric interference

as a LIbertarian, normally, I would agree with Phil's "let it be private enterprise" ideals.

but too much public good has come out of governmental space exploration. It's the probably one and only thing that hasn't been a waste of money since the Lewis & Clark expedition. Waiting for private enterprise would not only take longer, discoveries & developments would be also proprietary and not as available to the general public

Last edited by RandyO; 12-17-17 at 10:40 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

The days of stache twirling and building the fastest coach in town are gone. Epic human achievements require massive resources, whether in space or in a lab. That means lots of people coming together, coordinating and collaborating across national borders, and government-level funding.

But hey, who cares about human achievement? Fuck coming together and doing amazing things. Let's continue spending money on weapons and minting more white billionaires to save us all from ourselves.

I'm truly sorry for anyone whose soul has been sucked out by America, Inc. and replaced with a handful of thoughtless one-liners. Debating the importance, scope, and viability of our space program is a perfectly legitimate debate to conduct. This is barely a conversation, let alone a rational debate.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I'm truly sorry for anyone whose soul has been sucked out by America, Inc. and replaced with a handful of thoughtless one-liners. Debating the importance, scope, and viability of our space program is a perfectly legitimate debate to conduct. This is barely a conversation, let alone a rational debate.
    Rational debates rarely happen on line, So your asking a lot. People just want to spout off and sit back and watch I guess. and I am guilty as charged.
    NASA is a shell of its once proud self and it would take a monumental effort to get it back up to speed. Yes we have gotten a lot out of the space program. Not sure its money well spent at this time. But that's always been the debate. Heck we are trillions in debt already so I guess if there's a will... it would get done. Just think others priorities should be looked at first before we go blasting another hole in the ozone..

Itís very consistent with your usual broken record. That you missed the sarcasm when Duncan presented that the first time just opened the door for a quick bit of fun.
    To your next point, I thought we HAD to get there the first time, not just as a neener-neener, but to maintain a position of strength during the Cold War. It was a tactical bluster.
    Anyways, it should not surprise you that I think our tax dollars are better spent on NASA than lining the pockets of black water ceos and the like.
    Ah. OK, thanks.

"To maintain a position of strength during the Cold War" is exactly the sort of expensive useless dick-measuring contest that explains WHY governments should NOT be the ones to do this stuff, and explains why our current efforts are moribund.

I also think "our tax dollars are better spent on NASA than lining the pockets of black water ceos and the like", which doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't be spending "our tax dollars" on ANY of that. That's like saying "my nutrition budget is better spent on cookies than on candy". While true, it misses the point that your nutrition budget shouldn't be spent on sweets at all.

PhilB

I know better than to debate with you, Phil. I appreciate sharing your opinion with us all nonetheless.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Me OP said

why go BACK to the moon

IF IF IF there is water at the moons southern pole, then perhaps a habitat could, would be done,

The current theory is the moon was formed by a collision with a Mars sized planet with the crust being blown out and coalescing
    into the moon we see today.... which results in Earth and Moon having almost identical crusts.

SO there is nothing on the moon that isn't in your back yard

Still be better to send 1 guy in an Orion capsule full of TV dinners to the asteroid belt

However we are a nation in debt

Last edited by Stromper; 12-17-17 at 05:16 PM.
    The calculus of hate

Me OP said

why go BACK to the moon

IF IF IF there is water at the moons southern pole, then perhaps a habitat could, would be done,

The current theory is the moon was formed by a collision with a Mars sized planet with the crust being blown out and coalescing
    into the moon we see today.... which results in Earth and Moon having almost identical crusts.

Still be better to send 1 guy in an Orion capsule full of TV dinners to the asteroid belt

However we are a nation in debt

The calculus of hate

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I think you're confusing the moon with Mars

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast