Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Morning flight to Europe?

Morning flight to Europe?

Hey folks, looking at going full Clark Griswold, taking the fam to Europe next summer.

Looking at flights I noticed there's a morning departure from Boston 7:15am and arriving in London at 6:45pm UK time. I've never noticed this flight before, I always took an overnight (I've been lucky enough to travel to Europe often, family in Holland and went to school in France, but anyway...). I can imagine that it might be a better alternative?

-No having to kill time waiting for your afternoon check-in (yes I have booked a room for the previous night so I could crash immediately upon arrival, that is a nice alternative).
    -And I like the idea that after getting to the hotel we could have a late dinner and hit our beds around midnight local time?

Has anyone flown to Europe with this morning departure? How's your jetlag/fatigue compared to the overnight flight?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Lifer

Re: Morning flight to Europe?

I have flown that route weekly for nearly 3 years. I did it mostly to avoid working immediately after i touched down lol. When i took the overnight i was expected to work as soon as i landed.

Leaving logan is pretty painless at that time and heathrow is a mess when you land. I dont get jetlag heading east but i do get it going west so it never effected me going to london.

I would say the preferred flight time depends on what your planning on doing when you get there. Where's your hotel, are you renting a car or tubing it? Let me know if you need any help or advise. Ive lived in central london the last 5 years.

Recovering from jet lag is definitely easier taking the overnight flight. I’ve struggled badly with the morning flight.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Recovering from jet lag is definitely easier taking the overnight flight. Iíve struggled badly with the morning flight.
    Damn, ok, I'm disappointed to hear that...

I have flown that route weekly for nearly 3 years. I did it mostly to avoid working immediately after i touched down lol. When i took the overnight i was expected to work as soon as i landed.

Leaving logan is pretty painless at that time and heathrow is a mess when you land. I dont get jetlag heading east but i do get it going west so it never effected me going to london.

I would say the preferred flight time depends on what your planning on doing when you get there. Where's your hotel, are you renting a car or tubing it? Let me know if you need any help or advise. Ive lived in central london the last 5 years.
    I guess I felt somewhat similarly to your work demand because of the pressure to hit it immediately upon arrival and squeeze every moment while I'm there? I thought maybe this would remove that? And I'm apparently a bit of a wuss with jetlag, I usually feel like a bag of dookie when I arrive going east, but it's funny, I have no problem come back home?

And my intention is to have London serve as a destination for my daughters to acclimate a bit, ie. a strange place but not a foreign language. 3 nights there in a hotel on the southern edge of Hyde Park, doing the standard tourist destination stuff, can't wait to go back to the Tower of London though, I thought that place was great. And we won't be renting a car till we fly down to Nice, taxi and walking for our travels around London.

Hyper

Lifer

Its probably a good 45 minutes to hyde park from heathrow so take that into account or heathrow express into victoria. With covid still very much alive there most places stop serving around 9, especially around hyde park which i never really liked for food anyway. Your probably looking at a trip to leister square or soho for food after you land and dump your luggage i would think. Might find some stuff in kensington but it wont be cheap.
    I was at the tower recently. Like 6 people in the place. Completely dead so i really enjoyed it. Make sure you visit the bridge machine room just across the Thames.

Have you been to Nice before?

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Good grief, why did you have to do it weekly?! I guess the points add up after a while though...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Its probably a good 45 minutes to hyde park from heathrow so take that into account or heathrow express into victoria. With covid still very much alive there most places stop serving around 9, especially around hyde park which i never really liked for food anyway. Your probably looking at a trip to leister square or soho for food after you land and dump your luggage i would think. Might find some stuff in kensington but it wont be cheap.
    I was at the tower recently. Like 6 people in the place. Completely dead so i really enjoyed it. Make sure you visit the bridge machine room just across the Thames.

Have you been to Nice before?
    Bridge machine room, that sounds great. And we can still cancel our reservation at the hotel on Hyde Park (it's actually the northern side, not southern...), any recommendations? I had been eyeing Soho or the neighborhood between St. Paul's and the Tower, there's an incredible wine bar there that I'd like to visit.

And I have been to Nice, never stayed there long though, I much preferred the smaller villages. And we're flying into Nice but staying in Tourrettes sur Loup, super cool looking medieval village.

Bare with me for a quick story, every time I talk about Nice I have to bring it up.

I chaperoned a group of high school students to France many years ago, myself, another female teacher/chaperone, 17 high school senior girls and 2 senior boys. The ENTIRE trip the two boys are absolutely giddy with excitement for the one day we were going to hit the beaches in Nice, because, topless women. So this was 2004 and for the younger fit French crowd going topless wasn't really cool anymore, the look on those poor boys' faces when the only bare chests were those of 50yo+ women, oof, still makes me laugh today lol

Hyper

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Good grief, why did you have to do it weekly?! I guess the points add up after a while though...

Work. I have enough points saved up to never pay for a hotel or flight again for decades lol. I eventually got a visa and moved there so it did get better. Once you figure out a good routine to the 7 hour flight it passes quick so I got used to it.

Work. I have enough points saved up to never pay for a hotel or flight again for decades lol. I eventually got a visa and moved there so it did get better. Once you figure out a good routine to the 7 hour flight it passes quick so I got used to it.
    What do you do for a living?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I fly coast to coast pretty regularly, and had previously travelled all over for work with the expectation that I'm on the ground working the next day.

From a working perspective, heading into the office after a red-eye sucked.
    Even worse was having to go to someone else's office and run meetings. And I always grab a few hours of sleep on the flight.
    Even more worse was having hop in the car and drive for a few hours after a red eye...and then run meetings.

Vacation wise, I LOVE a red eye.
    Working remote, I also LOVE a red eye.

I think what it comes down to is that I can manage fatigue very well when I have control of the setting.

In general, I do well on minimal sleep.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Bridge machine room, that sounds great. And we can still cancel our reservation at the hotel on Hyde Park (it's actually the northern side, not southern...), any recommendations? I had been eyeing Soho or the neighborhood between St. Paul's and the Tower, there's an incredible wine bar there that I'd like to visit.

And I have been to Nice, never stayed there long though, I much preferred the smaller villages. And we're flying into Nice but staying in Tourrettes sur Loup, super cool looking medieval village.

Bare with me for a quick story, every time I talk about Nice I have to bring it up.

I chaperoned a group of high school students to France many years ago, myself, another female teacher/chaperone, 17 high school senior girls and 2 senior boys. The ENTIRE trip the two boys are absolutely giddy with excitement for the one day we were going to hit the beaches in Nice, because, topless women. So this was 2004 and for the younger fit French crowd going topless wasn't really cool anymore, the look on those poor boys' faces when the only bare chests were those of 50yo+ women, oof, still makes me laugh today lol
    I prefered to stay in Vauxhall when I was booking hotels. The holiday inn express by Vauxhall station is my go to place. Being south of the river makes everything cheaper plus I really like the area. You can jump on the bus in front of the hotel and be in central London in about 15 minutes.

I'm sure you have been to st Paul's near Tourettes but if you havent it's a cool little place. Eze is also really unique and good place to spend a day on the beach. Antibis has a cool walled center town and Cannes has a great hike up to the central church. Great views. Monaco is a nice day trip too. Nice of course has the old town to explore.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    What do you do for a living?
    Robotics for another 21 days then it's retirement time.