Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Moving thread part 2 - SNH

Moving thread part 2 - SNH

Expanding our house hunt to southern NH. What are the spots to look at for family life and commuting down 93? We are basically looking at everything from Bedford over to Sandown and down. Windham, Salem, Londonderry and Derry seem to make the most sense for commuting, but I have no sense for which of these towns are nice. Bedford seems to have the best schools, Atkinson seems to be the nicest setting. Anything I'm missing? Anything to specifically avoid?

Edit... Windham appears to have great schools too- this looks like a front runner but $$$

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Petorius; 02-06-21 at 04:00 PM.

Re: Moving thread part 2 - SNH

I'd say Sandown might be the most forgiving with regards to property taxes but is not what I consider to be near to I-93.

IMO, the order starting with the nicest town would be: Atkinson, Bedford, Sandown, Londonderry, Derry, Windham, Salem

Thing is, Derry, Londonerry and Windham all share the same spot in the list...again, IMO.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

where are you trying to commute too?

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    where are you trying to commute too?
    Wilmington MA

If I had to move. It'd be near hampstead. They have some good neighborhoods. Schools etc
    About 45 min to wilmington

I commuted form Deerfield NH to Andover MA for a while a couple years ago. 93 got easier every single day. That said, I commuted off hours. I usually left at 6AM and was at my desk by 7. Hit the door at 3PM sharp and home by 4. There was an enormous project improving 93 from the border to Manchester. The construction was a slow-down. But they've been finishing one segment at a time for a while now. Things really opened up once you got south of Derry. Cruise control the whole way from there south. I imagine it is just getting better and better. Doubly so with covid times.

I still wouldn't want that commute in weather. I've watched enough high-speed pileups in this lifetime that I refuse to do an Interstate highway commute in snow. Life is too short. Arrange to WFH in the snow or find something closer, IMO.

I got off at exit 45, River Road in Andover. The backups on 93 south usually started there, even at 7AM. From there to Wilmington may be a slog. In typical Boston metro fashion the 495/93 interchange is a single lane clover-leaf. This means mayhem. Even if you are trying to cut through you are in for some heartache there.

It can get surprisingly rural fast headed through that pocket of Hampstead, Sandown, and Kingston. But 111 East-West just sucks.

I don't know what real estate prices are doing in that neck of the woods. But when I did some informal looking when you started your last thread I saw that home prices had seemed to advance more here in southern NH than they had in metro Boston MA area over the last year or so. We keep being told that our home values are on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I don't know what real estate prices are doing in that neck of the woods. But when I did some informal looking when you started your last thread I saw that home prices had seemed to advance more here in southern NH than they had in metro Boston MA area over the last year or so. We keep being told that our home values are on fire.
    My timing really could not be worse. Winter in New England aside, the narrative about millennials leaving the city during COVID seems to be true (+ demand). On top of that builders are having supply chain issues and the build cycle has slowed (- supply). High prices everywhere, low resale inventory with crazy competitive bidding wars, and 10+ months to get in a new build.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I grew up in Bedford when it was just coming into it's own. Not to be that guy, but I watched it go from sleepy farmland suburb to what it is now. At one time I wanted nothing more than to raise a family in the town I grew up in and have them attend the same schools. 20+ years ago when we were looking to lay down our roots permanently, I was quickly turned away from Bedford. Simply put, most Bedford residents are condescending cunts and most of those raise their children as such. I know that's quite a generalization, but it's just SO widespread.

That's not to say I don't still have good friends there, and my father still lives in Bedford. While they do indeed have good schools (how fuckin' many schools does a small town like that need now???) and beautiful homes, it's not an area I'd ever chose to live no matter how convenient a commute it would be. I hate what that town and it's people have become.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    My timing really could not be worse. Winter in New England aside, the narrative about millennials leaving the city during COVID seems to be true (+ demand). On top of that builders are having supply chain issues and the build cycle has slowed (- supply). High prices everywhere, low resale inventory with crazy competitive bidding wars, and 10+ months to get in a new build.

we are still looking.... not in NH but all over. if you want PM me your $ range and i can give you an honest answer for any ones that catch your eye in my area ( outside of NH ) if you're still looking in that region. What we want land, house type 3 car garage, it looks like 1 mil will get us what we want no issues but we're looking as close to 8 if possible.

hmmmm......