Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving to Wilmington MA Area

Moving to Wilmington MA Area

I am considering a job opportunity in Wilmington MA. Where should a young family look to live around there? 2 kids under 3, probably more coming at some point. An initial glance at Zillow shocked me ($$$).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Moving to Wilmington MA Area

If schools are a priority, Andover. Otherwise the towns all around Wilmington are all solid choices. Sticker shock for sure anywhere in the area.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The tax haters go up 93 and cross the border to live. It does save you $$$$$$ and all you will need is a great commuter car.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    and all you will need is a great commuter car.
    And the hours to sit in traffic to get there

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    It also saves you no money at all when you factor in real estate taxes and commuting

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

I live in wilmington..... I"ll sell you my house. 2nd best neighborhood for families Towpath dr.

or just stop by for a beer

I'll give you the skinny, just tell me your what your budget is., wants etc..
    1- Stay away from north wilmington ( there's a pig farm round there, horrible smell)
    2- Andover schools are over rated ( sorry E30 u'm just regurgatating what my friend says who ran for selectman and supposedly knows where the bodies are buried)
    3- the Pizza is horrible here
    4- People who live here think this town is the best evah
    5- We are looking to move ( north andover, groton, weston, boxborough, acton etc even chelmsford)

Edit IMHO i'd stay away from woburn, tewksbury , billerica It all depends on what you want, school , land, accessibility

where is the job? raytheon??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by black; 11-18-20 at 09:23 PM.
    hmmmm......

I grew up in North Reading. It was expensive, good schools, much smaller than Wilmington but right next door. I think the part of town is important when comparing the two. Happy to chime in as well if you start looking.

Middleton always seemed more cost effective, smaller and quieter, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I think its all expensive.

I've ridden my bike a lot on the North Shore, and I'd probably pick Boxford. Also not cheap.

I haven't had good pizza on the North Shore. I've had edible Pizza, but nothing good.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Textron, exit 38 off 93. Its actually the first place I worked out of college, but that was 10 years ago when I had no interest in the suburb life. A lot of people in the office live in NH, but I ideally want to stay in commuting range of Boston for future job opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Textron, exit 38 off 93. Its actually the first place I worked out of college, but that was 10 years ago when I had no interest in the suburb life. A lot of people in the office live in NH, but I ideally want to stay in commuting range of Boston for future job opportunities.
    Textron.... about a mile from my house. carefull of the 1 lane 2 way bridge on butter row. Agreed on close to boston aspect. Thats why we chose wilmington ( about 1 hr to Kendall at 615am)
    If I had to do it over again wilmington would still win beacuse its so convenient to everything and was more affordable about 9 years ago.

hmmmm......

traffic hasn't really stopped in the wilmington area of 93 all year, thanks to covid

I ideally want to stay in commuting range of Boston for future job opportunities.
    you won't find a good job there for a few years. Boston has largely shut down.

I live in wilmington.....
    1- Stay away from north wilmington ( there's a pig farm round there, horrible smell)
    2- Andover schools are over rated ( sorry E30 u'm just regurgatating what my friend says who ran for selectman and supposedly knows where the bodies are buried)
    5- We are looking to move ( north andover, groton, weston, boxborough, acton etc even chelmsford)

Edit IMHO i'd stay away from woburn, tewksbury , billerica It all depends on what you want, school , land, accessibility
    I've been living in Wilmington for 8 years myself and this is spot on. School system here is great IMO. The commute to just about anywhere (boston, NH, lowell) isn't bad. Choices for food in town are again IMO terrible (but burlington/woburn is nearby with many more choices).

06 SV650N **R.I.P**
    08 848 **Stolen**
    11 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP **Lost in the divorce**
    09 YZF-R6

Last edited by Garandman; 11-19-20 at 07:24 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Welcome back kid.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    It also saves you no money at all when you factor in real estate taxes and commuting
    Commuting maybe. But that isn't my experience with real-estate. Every comparable home I've looked at south of the border is at least 2x what mine is valued at, even if you give up obvious metro-area luxuries, like a large lot.

Will never forget my now ex brother in law who constantly bagged on me for living "practically in Canada". They bought the desirable ~2k sqft 3BR 2BA colonial on a ~3/4 acre postage stamp on the corner of a nice quiet culdesac and a busy state highway in North Andover. Their tax rate was HALF ours. But the house cost them TWICE ours. Meaning their tax was ... comparable. And they had a hell of a lot larger loan on the property.

That said, the commute will suck your soul through a thin straw while repeatedly tagging you in the sack. It is demoralizing. Do not recommend, especially if your outfit is a butts in seats kind of place where they expect you to report into the office come hell or high water.

Also that said, my experience is all of the traffic is next to the jobs. Easiest parts of my commutes home were once I got past the places everyone lived. Meaning you sit in the same traffic if you live 10 miles away or 40 miles away.

Pete, why are you moving back up here? Family? Shit-ton of money? Better be both or some combo.
    Ready to deal with shoveling snow? Buying the whole family another 38284 winter coats the kids will grow out of in 30 seconds? Ready to deal with snow-days, school into June? How about that batshit crazy cost of living?

Never lived where you do now. But it sure looks nice on the faceypages.

On a per student cost basis I would agree with him. The schools still have quite the rep though.

At this point, as single dude who ain't ever having kids, I'd consider the other towns you listed if I wanted to stay in MA. There's even neighborhoods in Lawrence that look pretty decent to me. What I'd be happy with and what families need are two different things though.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Middleton always seemed more cost effective, smaller and quieter, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I think its all expensive.

I've ridden my bike a lot on the North Shore, and I'd probably pick Boxford. Also not cheap.
    Always loved Boxford. 5 acre zoning if I recall. Huge $$$$$ relatively now, but gorgeous properties.

At this point all the surround towns are $$$. Just depends how much.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    traffic hasn't really stopped in the wilmington area of 93 all year, thanks to covid
    That won't last forever. There are already pockets of suck coming back here and there around the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Agreed. If you do a true dollar for dollar breakdown anything south of 101 is hard to make a financial case for. The houses aren't 1/2 the price anymore, they're almost as expensive as living across the border and you pay higher property tax. It's not just property tax either. Factor in the difference in utility costs, vehicle registration vs excise etc... and the decision for southern NH is more emotional then financial.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Agreed. If you do a true dollar for dollar breakdown anything south of 101 is hard to make a financial case for. The houses aren't 1/2 the price anymore, they're almost as expensive as living across the border and you pay higher property tax. It's not just property tax either. Factor in the difference in utility costs, vehicle registration vs excise etc... and the decision for southern NH is more emotional then financial.
    Holy shit. I just looked up all of my ex's family homes. Her family home is a smaller one (1400 sqft) but on > 2acres and zillow puts it at just under $500k. The asshole brother-in-law sold his colonial on 1 acre last year for $600k. Meanwhile my neighbor just sold his place in a weekend at $450k. Is zillow borked or have these homes really slowed in value that much? I'd expect them to be in the $800k range by now.

That and we are north of 101, not south of it. No idea what goes on in Pelham or Atkinson these days.

At $600k, yeah, live in North Andover. My ex's family is from there. Always blown away at how rural it felt considering where it was relative to the interstates. They never locked their doors or cars. Although they also had a junky neighbor kid break in and steal their shit at least once. Not bad livin'.

we thought about moving in southern NH. but the commute to Downtown boston is alot. my boss lives in Hampstead, NH? real nice neighborhood but... she only lives there because she only needs to go into Kendall and lexington 3x/ week. and at a 90 min each way. if we went to 4 days / wk she said she d probably leave.

I bag on wilmington alot but its great for convenience, schools ( better than avg) , cost of housing ( houses on my block as a fixer upper are about 700k entry level, ( fixer upper 80s' decor ) the only thing that people complain alot here is the traffic as people seem to use it to cut thru alot. but I've been lucky in my commute.

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    At $600k, yeah, live in North Andover. My ex's family is from there. Always blown away at how rural it felt considering where it was relative to the interstates. They never locked their doors or cars. Although they also had a junky neighbor kid break in and steal their shit at least once. Not bad livin'.
    It always amazed me how varied North Andover is. Pretty "urban" like in places then rural with McMansions in short order.

The only place I find more varied in the area is Haverhill. There are plenty of farms and vast properties 2 miles from downtown that you would have no idea to suspect. Completely different worlds.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    It's not just property tax either. Factor in the difference in utility costs, vehicle registration vs excise etc... and the decision for southern NH is more emotional then financial.
    Depends on your income.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Depends on your income.

True. Skews things greatly if you work in state or don't pay income tax to MA as well. There are a lot of other factors involved. Most people seem to focus on price and property tax though.

Last edited by e30addict; 11-19-20 at 11:56 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Just loaded up zillow. Filtering Wilmington for single-family homes actually for sale (ie no foreclosures, auctions, etc) nets 16 listings. 5 are under $500k, one or two of which don't look half bad. 1 at $1.4M. 2 new construction listings at $730k and $820k ea.
    My pick is the 2k sqft cape with attached 2 car on 1/2 acre. Only asking $670k.. Way lower than I'd expect.

I guess we are just seeing a lot more price increases in the last few years than y'all have in the burbs. Weird.

I live in wilmington..... I"ll sell you my house. 2nd best neighborhood for families Towpath dr.

or just stop by for a beer

Your locations span the entire spectrum! hahaha.

For the OP, the northshore has gotten really expensive. We used to rent a house up in Burlington, MA and it was absurd. With that said, if you are unable to purchase a house right away, my parent's have a 3 bedroom house that they rent out in Burlington and may become available soon. If that's an option, I can get more details for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Pete, why are you moving back up here? Family? Shit-ton of money? Better be both or some combo.
    COVID KO'd my current business unit. Forced relocation will be imminent if I want to stay with the company, and Wilmington is the most appealing option (the other being Dallas). That being said, I got a decent external offer yesterday, so I might just stay put.

COVID KO'd my current business unit. Forced relocation will be imminent if I want to stay with the company, and Wilmington is the most appealing option (the other being Dallas). That being said, I got a decent external offer yesterday, so I might just stay put.
    yo this is huuuuge. never be afraid to walk into a new company if your current job situation is falling apart and forcing you to make decisions that will ripple throughout your family.

What? Bro Dallas all day? How is this even a comparison?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast