Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best used MTBs?

Re: Best used MTBs?

Found a 2012 GT Avalanche for $150 practically next door - aluminum frame, disc brakes, Deore components. Weighs a fraction of my old steelie. Bicycle Blue Book valued it at around $100 but I thought that was underselling it. Pretty happy with the purchase, but it's pouring rain here so I haven't been able to hit the trails yet.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Best used MTBs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Found a 2012 GT Avalanche for $150 practically next door - aluminum frame, disc brakes, Deore components. Weighs a fraction of my old steelie. Bicycle Blue Book valued it at around $100 but I thought that was underselling it. Pretty happy with the purchase, but it's pouring rain here so I haven't been able to hit the trails yet.

solid bike...you shouldn't have many issues with it...all the components are able to be upgraded if wanted...but there really isn't a benefit unless you are trying to cut weight on the bike which is a waste of money in my opinion unless you're racing...my gt is still kicking although it's not getting ridden much right now...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Nice, yeah overall it's a solid little bike that checks all the boxes for me. I might swap the handlebars for something smaller and possibly replace/rebuild the forks at some point.

It was pretty dirty and the brakes had a godawful screech but I gave it a thorough scrub and it looks brand new again. Sanded & cleaned the pads and rotors and it was like night and day - they're super quiet and brake twice as hard now.

I enjoy bringing neglected toys back from the dead, it was a few hours well spent on a rainy weekend.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I might swap the handlebars for something smaller
    As in narrower? Just cut them. Some even have cut points painted under the grips. But try getting used to them first. Most people like side bars. Prob a lot wider than what you had before?

nedirtriders.com

That a 29'er? Looks nice.

Wide bars are where it's at. Possibly the best feature of my new bike compared to my old box of poo.

After my track day friday I'm realizing how out of shape I am. I was thinking a bicycle may be the answer.. now this. Ya'll are killin me

Interesting, these bars are much wider but I will give them a run before changing anything. I have a random bontrager aluminum mtb bar just slightly shorter as a plan b.

It’s a 26” but oh well. It’s what I’ve always ridden so I won’t know what I’m missing!

@capitalcrew - do it! I didn’t realize how much it helped until I stopped for a season.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Best used MTBs?-received_10216363569060863-jpg

It's already done. Lol. My buddy is about the same size as me. Bought that new in like 2013. 150 bucks, grabbing it this weekend.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice!

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12