Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mtn bike....... anyone got some insight for my next one

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Mtn bike....... anyone got some insight for my next one

Hoping to pull some info from the collective Hive mind here if possible about a new mtn bike,
    Not a gear head for latest and greatest and paying $ for a full squish.
    I like a good deal, budget oriented, old tech is still good tech as i wont be racing....

Currently bikeless as I sold my 2007 Santa Cruz Blur for $750 ( what I paid for 5 years ago, which tells you about the bike market right now)
    It was a fine bike nothing special that caught my eye. So long as it was lighter, pedaled and wasnt a full rigid I was happy. I'd ride, fall/ crash. Get up. Wash, rinse, repeat. I was happy the full squish did fine on the trails I did which werent exceptionally rocky/ rooty. Think willowdale but honestly even in gnar terrain I did fine. I'd just adjust because to me there was/ is no race to win.

As I'm bikeless I'm thinking to be on the look out this late fall. winter for a good deal in the offseason. My experience is intermediate/ lo expert?? nothing round here fazzes me except drops etc... dont do DH either. I pretty much ride whatever honestly. Used to hit up big River in RI a lot and that's my wheelhouse

Any suggestions for good used bike models? Preferable 26 or 27.5" ( not a fan of 29" they feel like a tank to me) Full suspension recs for x ctry/ enduro ? A jack of all trades deal, maybe light DH at Highland

I'm quite happy with older tech the 07 SC blur was fine, before that a 2005 Gary Fisher TJ hard tail was just as fine. I like nimble vs tankish feel which is one reason I dont like the 29" the few times I rode it.

Budget is max 1500 more like 1000$. Again i'm good with older vs newer. I only ride 1x a week at most once the season averages out.

I have someone offering a 2007 Ibis Mojo CF bike built up with some nice upgrades. for anywhere from 1k to 1500 depending on wheels, etc... that I decide on. for 29lbs that might be pretty good

Appreciate any thoughts

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Mtn bike....... anyone got some insight for my next one

I don't want to be that guy...

But I think the geometry on the 29er you rode night not be optimal. I'd take another look at them.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You’re looking for a trail bike, 120-150ish mm of travel.
    Finding one that doesn’t suck in these crazy times is going to be the challenge.
    Also, 29 is just better. Sure, they don’t flick or accelerate as nicely as their smaller counterparts, but they’re so much better at everything else, including holding speed, you might not miss any of those attributes once you get used to them.
    I’ve owned 26, 27.5, 27.5+, 29, 29+, and fat, and while they might each have their little nuances, 29 is superior for most instances. Certainly even more so if you get your mitts on a modern bike that has the clearance for some of the new 2.4-2.6” rubber.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You're going to have a hard time finding something not clapped out for that price. You experienced the bike market first hand so for $1,500 you're looking at a 10yo bike.

How about a new Marin Rift Zone 1 if you can find one?

Ping me when you get back into riding. We live in the same town, yo!

At $1,500 you can get a nice new aluminum hard tail. 27.5+ is nice on a hard tail and very capable. You won't get a very nice squishy bike at that price. Agree with what others have said re:29er...give it another try, although on a hard tail I'd still favor the plus tire 27.5.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I'll try the 29 er again..
    I do agree finding good narrow tires is a problem these days

I cant see myself spending more than 1500 for somethign i ride 2 hrs 1x a week,
    I could do a hard tail no issues with that, I wasnt impressed

any good used bike suggestions then in the larger tire size?

Nick:
    As for as being clapped out i sort of agree with you if I just snag some rando bike seller. but......that;s what Id avoid. I'm not desperate.
    PS I'll ping you we can hit up Mill brook down the street from me.

for argument sake.......
    I was happy with 26.... had fun etc Will I miss what I dont have?? I dont think so?

hmmmm......

It’s not just the wheel size...the advancements in suspension and geometry that have evolved in the past 5yrs even are nothing to sneeze at.
    I think we’re at the far end of that long, low, and slack spectrum, but as long as you’re on something pretty modern, you’ll be pleased.
    As far as ignorance being bliss, that’s a double edged sword. A sharp one.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Itís not just the wheel size...the advancements in suspension and geometry that have evolved in the past 5yrs even are nothing to sneeze at.
    I think weíre at the far end of that long, low, and slack spectrum, but as long as youíre on something pretty modern, youíll be pleased.
    As far as ignorance being bliss, thatís a double edged sword. A sharp one.
    I agree with you that 5yr improvement nothing to sneeze at.
    Ideally find a 2014 bike, maintained suspension/ components ( even upgraded suspension and dropper post etc) during the winter sell off.

I'd be trying to find the sweet spot between buying new with latest greatest and how much I'll notice / appreciate it for my level of expertise.

hmmmm......

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I'll try the 29 er again..
    I recently did the same, and wasn't impressed. I think I dislike them for the same reason(s) as you. However, my seat time on a 29'er is very low. Which is completely opposite from those recommending it.

Enduro bikes might not look very different from a trail bike, but by the sounds of it, you want a trail-leaning bike. Maybe one that dips it's foot in the enduro pool. But you don't want something that's one step down from a DH bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I was happy with 26.... had fun etc Will I miss what I dont have?? I dont think so?
    While I don't think I like the feel of a 29, I've never cared between 26 and 27.5. There's a difference, but I find it more subtle. Rolls slightly better, but doesn't have the sluggish feel of a 29.

nedirtriders.com

I've been on a 29er for a season now off of a 26er. I couldn't imagine something more nimble now. 29er full cush that probably comes in around 33 pounds seems to hustle through the woods very well.

I thought the bike was too twitchy stock so I put a longer stem on it. That and learning to ride it helped and I'm comfy now.

I bought new and have no regrets.

I'm a little resigned to a 27.5 or 29 I guess ( begrudingly)
    as such the used bike market is wow!

found 2 that caught my eye
    2018 Marin hawk hill 2 up by portland MSRP was 1950? seller wants 1350. 27.5 stock

found a 2021 giant trance 3 (L) for 2K up by manchester as well....

the online reviews says the Marin is good entry level that can hold up well but the trance is better

Not sure how i'll fit on the sizing ( thinking M/L as i'm 5'9 3/4" maybe a L)

Any thoughts?

hmmmm......

You’re right on the line between most standard geometry m or l sizing.
    The only thing to really look for a modern-ish bike like that, that could possibly be a size up, is making sure you could set a dropper post (which the trance comes with) at full extension at the appropriate height. Otherwise it’s kinda just pick the one you like best.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I think I'd rather an MTB be a tad small over a tad large. Especially in the length/reach. But that's probably personal preference.

nedirtriders.com

At 5'10" you're likely going to want a Medium. I'm 6'3" and started on an XL, but found I was more comfortable for trail on a Large frame.

Also, if you're going full suspension, definitely go for the 29er. For the most part when we're discussing 27.5, we're talking about trail bike with 3" tires OR downhill bikes. I wouldn't want a 27.5 bike with 2.3" tires for trail and I wouldn't want a full suspension trail bike with anything but 29ers.

Agreed. I'm 5'10 and have a medium and it's perfect. Would not want a large as weight would be even further back I think? Front wheel would come up easier during climbs?

So... I thought I had found a M 2020 stumpjumper ST. was 2nd in line for it and lost out in it.
    I felt pretty confident in that as my buddy in DC ( Puppet on this board) had the same.
    So i'm still looking
    giant trance 3
    stumjumper
    YT jeffsy base
    Any other similar one?
    All 29
    I"m willing to drop 2300 now.... selling off my kayaks, canoe and the old mtn bike nets me about 1900 liquid and i can throw another 500.

If anyone hears of anything LMK.....

hmmmm......

Would not recommend the ST model Stumpjumper, those are 120mm travel bikes. The 140/150mm bikes are where it's at for trail.

Scott Genius 960
    Orbea Occam H30
    Commencal Meta 29

Admittedly all of these bikes push your budget a few hundred bucks more...

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Would not recommend the ST model Stumpjumper, those are 120mm travel bikes. The 140/150mm bikes are where it's at for trail.

Scott Genius 960
    Orbea Occam H30
    Commencal Meta 29

Admittedly all of these bikes push your budget a few hundred bucks more...

good suggestions, not even on my radar.

I'd appreciate any and all.

hmmmm......

I like what Commencal is doing (they have an A La Carte build option) and have a build level to hit most budgets. Orbea similar. The Scott Genius is probably the smartest buy on that list, Chipper switched me on to them. I have the Stumpy and Santa Cruz Hightower on my list as well.

Do you have an LBS you like?

I like what Commencal is doing (they have an A La Carte build option) and have a build level to hit most budgets. Orbea similar. The Scott Genius is probably the smartest buy on that list, Chipper switched me on to them. I have the Stumpy and Santa Cruz Hightower on my list as well.

Do you have an LBS you like?
    JRA and cycle loft are my closest.
    they're ok JRA tried to get me to demo the Pivot 429. but for a 100$ day amd if I dotn like it. I at least want to spin it around the block first. They wont let me
    They only have the pivots in stock

Cycle loft has nothing in stck excpet for the higher end Full squish and when I called and asked if I could chew the fat see what they wil be having down th pike what oculd suit me , they told me they were real busy so a bit of a turn off

Id prefer buying used so i'll lok for those on the used market I'd rather buy used if I dont like it less $$ hit if I resell vs buying new

hmmmm......

JRA are definitely Pivot pushers! What bike should I buy for my 4yo? Pivot!

There are lots of bikes around at your price point. Much more expensive than they would be in a normal market, but if you want one NOW you're going to have to pay. We're also creeping up on rental fleet liquidation season. Highland will be gearing up for their year-end sale soon and JRA will have their demos on the block too.

For pedaly trails like HP I would go (and did go) 140mm 29er all day long. If you're getting to the point where you're getting the wheels off the ground think about a 27.5. Don't overlook a trail focused 27.5+ hard tail, especially if you're on a budget. Put a tire insert in the back and you're good to go. I love my SC Chameleon!

Lifer

The 29'ers have typically run a little less travel, although that's gotten fuzzy since they started selling otherwise identical trail bikes in both wheel sizes. He probably wouldn't hate a 120 bike on a 29. Another angle to consider with the 'ST' is Comp is usually Specialized's initial trim, but Specialized offers the ST at a step down from Comp too. Unless priced super well, I'd probably want to hold out for a Comp-ST just to get the better fork.

nedirtriders.com

The genius is easily the most fun bike I’ve ever owned, and possibly ridden, at the risk of sounding like your typical specialized rider.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Another direct sales brand that you should definitely consider if you come across a used one is Spot. I've ridden my friend's Spot Mayhem 130 29 and it's a great bike. He bought one of their used demo models directly from them with for a very good price a couple years ago. They stood behind their warranty when he blew up his rear hub too.

any feedback onthe Kona lines??
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...rocess-153-29/
    This caught my eye.. saw one on pinkbike.

hmmmm......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast