Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Music streaming geographic fake out?

Music streaming geographic fake out?

I've got a weird one. I've been streaming a music station that's out of Maine for about a year now. They have their own app and I use an Android phone. Yesterday in the middle of the day the music cuts out and goes to a guy saying that this stream is no longer available in my geographic area. I asked them about it and they claim they stopped streaming outside their normal area, which is Maine only. What I'm wondering is, is there any way to fake out my location with my phone in order to continue streaming?

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Re: Music streaming geographic fake out?

A VPN would be the obvious answer. You'd need to make sure the VPN has a server somewhere in the radio stations "broadcast area".

0 Not allowed!

Ok, that's all foreign to me. I'll do some research. That's something I load on my phone?

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Yes you can use a VPN on your phone, but I’m not sure if they are state specific. I know you can change your country though.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I had heard of the country change thing for tv streaming services but I was lost on the state specific thing as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Yes you can use a VPN on your phone, but I’m not sure if they are state specific. I know you can change your country though.
    how is that done (on a computer, not a phone

I like to listen to CHOM (Montreal), but have never got more than an ad before it goes dead. I have no problem listening to WBLM (Portland, ME) in NH

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Ok, that's all foreign to me. I'll do some research. That's something I load on my phone?
    VPN is an encrypted tunnel between your device and a VPN server. When the device is configured to use a VPN, it means all the internet traffic gets routed through the VPN server.

VPN is used by many businesses to allow their employees to work remotely, but 'VPN in' to the corporate network, as their VPN server lives inside the company's network. In your case, you likely need a VPN that is in Maine, making it look as if your internet traffic is coming from inside Maine. That assumes the app isn't also using your phone's GPS to determine position. I might go in the privacy settings and revoke GPS permission to the app and see if they still deny you.

You don't need to load an app on your phone. Seek instructions for setting up a VPN specific to your platform (e.g. VPN settings for Android). Usually in the phone settings somewhere is some boxes of info you'll have to fill in, which are given to you by the VPN service you pick. I think some offer apps to automate this, or use as a cue-card for setup instructions.

What's the station/app?
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    how is that done (on a computer, not a phone

I like to listen to CHOM (Montreal), but have never got more than an ad before it goes dead. I have no problem listening to WBLM (Portland, ME) in NH
    See above for background, as this all applies to your computer as it does on the phone minus the GPS antenna.

Seek instructions for VPN specific to your device (e.g. Windows 10). You techincally shouldn't need to install anything, although some services offer handy applications to make it easier to switch to different VPN's in different locations.

Tip - Don't believe the hype that VPN is some magic panacea to solving all your security concerns. It has a lot of value, but it isn't the magic beans the marketing on some of the VPN companies are trying to portray.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Thank you! Good info that I actually understand.
    This is the app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nekast1865_175

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

nope, I won't be paying a monthly fee for a VPN just to listen to a radio station that is barely out of broadcast reception, when I lived 20 miles north, I could pull it off the air with a radio and good antenna. I used to get CHOM online....... till they became part of the Iheart network

one time I was able to change my location settings to Montreal, and listened to it till the next time I rebooted, now I can seen to change my location, and it thinks I'm in Milford, NH

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject