Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

NASA means something again

NASA means something again

After years of absolutely mind-numbing Shuttle missions (IMO), I'm glad to see NASA finally reaching for and successfully pulling off those high-risk, technological wonders once again. Curiosity has successfully landed on Mars and sent back the first photos from the fore and aft hazcams. High res (1 and 2 MP) pics of Mars will follow in the next few days.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8721A920120806
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

I've always loved the ideas, inspiration and attitude that drove NASA through the moon-mission days, and how they would conquer the seemingly impossible with sheer determination and absolutely ingenious engineering that was light-years ahead of its time. NASA to me was one of those organizations that made all of mankind proud for their ability to adapt and overcome huge obstacles. They accepted the costs involved, but strove forward in spite of it. That to me is the spirit of achievement, but NASA lost its way somewhere in the intermediate years, especially with the budget cuts and the cancellation of the Aries program.

It's absolutely fantastic to see them back on their game again.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Re: NASA means something again

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sam

I can't understand why we're spending $3.5 BILLION to land a craft on Mars. Never mind what's been done in years past (Star Wars, GPS, etc.). Why on Earth (no pun intended) are we spending THAT kind of money on THIS? I can't wrap my head around it...

Don't crawl up my ass. I'm open to someone changing my mind about it. Not about actually pulling off a true marvel, which it was. But WHY? Why in THEE hell do we need to know what's up with Mars? We have a hard enough time dealing with our own planet's shit...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I can't understand why we're spending $3.5 BILLION to land a craft on Mars. Never mind what's been done in years past (Star Wars, GPS, etc.). Why on Earth (no pun intended) are we spending THAT kind of money on THIS? I can't wrap my head around it...

Don't crawl up my ass. I'm open to someone changing my mind about it. Not about actually pulling off a true marvel, which it was. But WHY? Why in THEE hell do we need to know what's up with Mars? We have a hard enough time dealing with our own planet's shit...
    I guess it has to do with the ultimate question. Are we alone? I suppose if they can find evidence of past life on Mars maybe peoples attitude to others may change and we might get our shit together here.

Of course I wouldnt count on it.

James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

By that logic we'd all still be crammed into the overcrowded cities of Europe... or the rift valleys of Africa.

Exploration and curiosity about what's out there is arguably our single greatest trait. I for one am deeply grateful that we haven't pulled so far into ourselves that we've lost sight of that. We should be doing more of it, not less.

--mark

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by markbvt; 08-06-12 at 08:17 AM.
    '17 KTM 1090 Adventure R / '16 Honda Africa Twin (for sale) / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L (for sale) / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, June 1-3, 2018

Thank you! I asked the same question and only answer I got was that they're minerals on Mars that can be mined to produce reactors here on Earth. How they'll get those minerals back to Earth is another question. Big waste of money. However when you consider how much dough is spent everyday funding war I guess 3.5 billion isn't that much.

Here's another guy who's unhappy about this...

NASA means something again-marvin-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

Minerals
    Potential new home.

That's about it.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    By that logic we'd all still be crammed into the overcrowded cities of Europe... or the rift valleys of Africa.

--mark
    Apples to Oranges. When is the common person going to benefit from exploring Mars?????

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by idratherberidin View Post
    Apples to Oranges. When is the common person going to benefit from exploring Mars?????
    That's not the point. The common person didn't benefit from going to the moon either, but does that mean we shouldn't have done it? These things are major accomplishments for the entire human race, and prove that we can do incredible things when we work together.

And who knows, maybe in time there will be a huge benefit to the common man, just as there ended up being as a result of Columbus's voyage. But there has to be a first step.

--mark

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '17 KTM 1090 Adventure R / '16 Honda Africa Twin (for sale) / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L (for sale) / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, June 1-3, 2018

$3.5 billion is less that 1/2 of what the US provided to the UN last year. Since we seem determined to make this technological triumph into another NESR shitshow, let me state that by way of comparison the US made a much better investment in sending a remote controlled camera car to Mars.

Last edited by SteveM; 08-06-12 at 08:42 AM.

That's not the point. The common person didn't benefit from going to the moon either, but does that mean we shouldn't have done it? These things are major accomplishments for the entire human race, and prove that we can do incredible things when we work together.

And who knows, maybe in time there will be a huge benefit to the common man, just as there ended up being as a result of Columbus's voyage. But there has to be a first step.

--mark
    We went to the moon AND came back. Nothing has come back from Mars except for radio waves.

People benefited from Columbus's travels within a very SHORT time. It'll be decades if not more before the same can be said from exploring Mars.

The common person didn't benefit from going to the moon either...--mark
    You sir, are very, very wrong.

NASA means something again-tang-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wasn't it $2.5 billion over 8 years? That's what a couple weeks of DOD budget.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    After years of absolutely mind-numbing Shuttle missions (IMO), ...
    - Show me the money: Once we put the Russian Genie back in the bottle, we moved much of our work in space away from public view and NASA, and the public was left with what you describe as mind-numbing. Much of the funding went to unheralded programs.
    - The trickle down from The Space Program is huge. Forget about popularizing Tang, and making headlines with space diapers. GPS. Cellular. (So much computing that I don't know where to start.) Human Aging. Optics. Ceramics/Heat Dissipation.

A lot of what we use for personal communication and entertainment today is the result of the (eventual) commercial licensing of DoD and related technology put into space and the adaptation of the same technology (only not as precise or as powerful.) We study Earth from space to map currents, map the ocean floor, predict the weather (even in New England) and more. We also target precision munitions, locate missing war fighters and communicate with them to coordinate rescue and much more through the investment in space technology.

It's easy to lose sight of this (especially since a lot of it happens out of sight and outside of New England, and a lot of it is relatively ancient history.) Cambridge was going to be a major space technology research hub until funding was cut. Work is still conducted at Draper Labs, and there may be non-descript buildings and offices around the area with contracts. A lot of this work has gone to Northern Virginia, Florida, Texas and California. The fact that Estes is still in business shows that rockets and space are still cool (if only to kids!)

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by idratherberidin View Post
    When is the common person going to benefit from exploring Mars?????
    - Sometime in the next 10-20 years I expect through more trickle down from the work done to prepare a vehicle for that trip, the landing, the mobile work and the transmission of data.
    - I went over my motorcycle in detail this weekend (only 3 months old/only 3 months riding) looking for loose bolts, etc. and I realized that the bike's onboard electronics is another trickle down from the space program. We wouldn't be tracking our rides on our phones (let alone booming tunes into our ears) without the space program.

2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    $3.5 billion is less that 1/2 of what the US provided to the UN last year. Since we seem determined to make this technological triumph into another NESR shitshow, let me state that by way of comparison the US made a much better investment in sending a remote controlled camera car to Mars.
    - Don't shi* on the UN until you see it in action on the receiving end of food, medicine and clothing. It's brought life to millions of desperate people during its time. We happen to live in a country where it's not needed.
    - If you don't like it, propose something in its place. My personal favorite only happened in fiction.

Yes, it's practically useless in military conflicts now, and you'd probably get a private resolution to a small border war with a private army for $3.5B (actually more than one resolution for that amount) but we tried that in Africa, Latin America, and more places and only came away looking foolish.

Don't worry: 99% of us will forget about this Mars mission (bathroom trips during the evening news, if anyone even watches the evening news now)

2012 BMW F800R

My poking fun shouldn't be misinterpreted. I think this is a great accomplishment and I wholeheartedly agree that the trickle down benefits of space exploration have been huge. As a kid who grew up when we were racing to beat the USSR to the moon, my memories of this time are memories of a better, more adventurous America. The Marvin and Tang stuff are just for fun.

As for the UN, it does do a lot of good, but the US based headquarters infrastructure is horribly bloated, corrupt and overly dependent on US largesse without ever being willing to give credit where it is due. The US could do most of what the UN does directly with comparatively less waste and corrpution. Nevertheless, I was just highlighting one of many things that are more costly than this program.

Last edited by SteveM; 08-06-12 at 09:11 AM.

I'll take a stab at this....here is a whole bunch of topics that could be used to support this type of space exploration. I will do my best to give you a non-partisan list but you know that I will be accused of producing leftist propaganda anyways.

1.) crawling before walking...
    In order to advance to further exploration we need to perfect our methods at each level and NASA really needs some more lessons in crawling...

2.) Assisting in solving any economic stagnation (depressions and recessions)
    exploration is one of the best peaceful methods to unify the country and advance the economy. The inventions that rose from the Apollo programs created whole new industries. One of the biggest falacies is that cutting spending helps the economy. Growth comes from spending not cutting. Spending the money on space programs produces a hell of a lot more "good" growth than blowing up and rebuilding middle eastern towns. I would much rather spend my tax dollars on this than a war created by politicians.
    It is a commonly known historically proved truth that the solution to a recession or depression is to unify and motivate the efforts of the population towards a common goal. The most usual means is a war but there are plenty of other examples like the Apollo program. I prefer discoveries to death...(there I go preaching liberal opinions)

3.) the coolness
    Part of being human is feeding your creative (dreamer) side...most every kid I have ever known dreamt of flying through space, travelling to distant worlds and exploring lands that no one has ever seen before...these dreams are what created the tech toys we use today...who knows what some kid will invent in twenty years from the inspirations from today's events.

4.) the possibility of unifying the world...
    this is a gamble but as they say in the lottery, "You can't win, if you don't play."
    Would finding life on another planet have much of an effect on our day to day lives? I think so.
    It would certainly have the religious fundamentalists working over time.

5.)Eggs in one basket
    Without a doubt we are living on borrowed time. Just as all machines eventually break, this planet will eventually fail. It could be something we do, like polluting the climate or it could be a meteor. The fact is (drink) that at some point in the near or distant future the planet will stop supporting life. If the human race is to survive we MUST develop the skills to escape this fate. Otherwise, we will fall victim to the same fate of the dinosaurs.

Consider this, how do you think the world would react to the rover sending back pictures of the ruins of an ancient civilization? Would it end starvation?...unlikely. Would it end all wars?...also unlikey...Would it help to unify the world in a common cause? maybe

The argument for and against pure science research and exploration has been argued for centuries.
    The answer is that without it we would never have made it this far.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sam

Well said.

The money NASA spends doesn't bother me. As other's have stated, all of our eggs are in one basket. What happens when that one basket fails??? IMO NASA is the driving force behind developing technologies that are going to allow us to travel into space to other worlds where we can have our eggs in MULTIPLE baskets.

Now what BOILS my blood is when there's a natural disaster in a foreign country and the US government steps in and gives the country MILLIIONS of dollars in aid. Why not use that money to fix our own damn country first? Maybe fix some roads, hire some more teachers, get more cops on the street, etc......

Comparing it to the UN, the war, or even early European settlers has absolutely nothing to do with this and there are zero similarities. Although it's pretty much exactly what I expected when I posed the question...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

We generally find what we expect to find if we look for it hard enough.

What arguments in favor of this would have changed your mind?

So far we have:

1. Pure speculative exploration had been a major cornerstone of the world's development and progress.
    2. The societal, economic and commercial benefits of space exploration are manifold in our daily lives.
    3. The cost of the mission, while substantial, is not all that large in comparison to many other things in our modern world.
    4. It's really cool.

Sure, some of these points have been touched up with a little fun and nonsense, but they are all right here.

Last edited by SteveM; 08-06-12 at 09:31 AM.

Because of all of that trickle down technology, every $1 spent on missions like this often results in $8-$14 added to the GDP. Everything from mattresses to cell phones to toilets has been affected by NASA, but everybody takes it for granted and wants something of value to come back from the mission itself. We are so focused on immediate returns on investment that we've lost sight of the big picture and can't appreciate the numerous ancillary benefits. I think missions like this are awesome.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Comparing it to the UN, the war, or even early European settlers has absolutely nothing to do with this and there are zero similarities. Although it's pretty much exactly what I expected when I posed the question...
    maybe I misunderstood your question...

I thought you were asking about why we are spending money on this.

Sam

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast