Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Negotiating on used-car prices with new-car dealers

Re: Negotiating on used-car prices with new-car dealers

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Yep, it's coming from Austin.... and I'd already thought about driving it back. Prefer not to put the miles on it and the near brand new tires on it.

But if ya wanna tow it back, the best uShip quote I have now is about $700.
    Very interesting as my brother lives near Austin and aI found a mint GMC 4x4 regular cab short bed pickup down there on CL, and I have time off....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Very interesting as my brother lives near Austin and aI found a mint GMC 4x4 regular cab short bed pickup down there on CL, and I have time off....
    I'm not sure if you are seriously interested or not, but my current uShip auction doesn't end until tomorrow morning. If facilitating transport of my rig is of interest to you, shoot me a PM?

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    I'm not sure if you are seriously interested or not, but my current uShip auction doesn't end until tomorrow morning. If facilitating transport of my rig is of interest to you, shoot me a PM?
    I'm interested but not ready to move yet. Picking up another bike this afternoon....

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

No worried. Got a good quote anyway!

CCS/LRRS #83

A word of caution about CarFax, and the other commercial repair history services. A fair percentage of new car dealerships, and many, many independent repair shops, are NOT signed up to report work performed through those channels. It is up to the individual dealers and shops whether or not they subscribe and many choose no.

It is fairly common to pay for a CarFax reoort, have it come back pretty clean and later find out the vehicle you bought is on its third transmission or has had chronic engine problems. I'm not sure if the same holds for crash repairs, but do yourself a favor and bring the the VIN to an authorized dealership for that make and ask them to run a history through the manufacturer's database. Some will do it for free; some will charge a fee, but it's a worthwhile piece of information and can even help with your negotiations with the seller (commercial or private) if you find stuff they are not showing you.

Not every dealer is out to screw you, but why not have a prophylactic handy just in case?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
    - Oscar Wilde

I don't know if I'd go that far, to say that all dealers a fixing car faxes.

my own view is that if you are looking into the history of a car use both Carfax, and well as auto check. reason being some things don't get reported to cf or the other one. also I don't agree that these sites don't give a better break down on what may have happened. my mothers previous lexus got backed into by her neighbor, which was no big deal, but when she got it repaired, the car has this huge blemish on the Carfax for something minor. On the other hand, ive had friends smash up their car, and pay cash out of pocket to get the car fixed, and now that one has a has a clean accident history.

best bet is if you are looking at a car, request if you can bring it to a shop and have it inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I don't know if I'd go that far, to say that all dealers a fixing car faxes.
    Never said that. In fact, I said just the opposite. It is a fact, though, that dealers are not required to report repair work to CarFax, or any other commercial enterprise for that matter. CarFax, AutoCheck, etc. are simply businesses selling a product to consumers. In that regard, let the buyer beware. CarFax clearly states that they do not guarantee 100% complete reporting. There is no omniscient oversight of the vehicle repair industry, as you have pointed out with your "pay out of pocket" example.

Even the big automakers, i.e., Ford and the others, do not require dealerships to report through CarFax, etc. The all have their own systems for tracking service, warranty work, recalls and the like. Whether or not a particular dealer or repair shop chooses to also share that information with commercial services is pretty much voluntary so you need to use all the tools at your disposal if you're expectingto be prepared.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
    - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12