Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NH Youth Hunting Weekend

NH Youth Hunting Weekend

Anyone else taking their midgets out for Youth Weekend this weekend? First time going father/son with him doing the actual hunting, first Youth Weekend for us. Two of our minions have tagged along with me before, but have never done any meaningful hunting. Tovah, who turns 17 TOMORROW is PISSED she's missing it by FIVE days! LOL! I just never thought she'd be into it. She loves shooting and is a crack shot. But she never really showed interest in hunting. I guess I should've asked...

The boy has been after me for years to get him out shooting and hunting. So we went out to the property yesterday and set-up a 2-seater tree stand and a ground blind (and moved my existing tree stand). We'll be heading out this week after work to set-up *the two feeders I'm allowed by law* - one under my solo tree stand and one by the ground blind. He'll be using a Rossi single-shot, break action .243. He wet his chops on BB guns, then up to their .22's & .410, then various other "smaller" calibers. He's a little dude, and he got real comfy with the .243 so we're going with that this weekend...

Anyone else sharing this with their kiddos?

NH Youth Hunting Weekend-img_20171015_113900419-jpgNH Youth Hunting Weekend-img_20171015_123321424-jpgNH Youth Hunting Weekend-img_20171015_151126569-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Re: NH Youth Hunting Weekend

Nobody?!?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It sounds like you're going to have a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

My son has no interest in hunting, or even guns for that matter.

Have fun with your son. Some of the best times I can remember with my dad was out in the woods. It really is something that very few experience anymore.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

We hit the woods yesterday/last night to get our feeders up & running. Man, he was just out of his mind! We're gonna head back out tonight to get some camo burlap wrapped around the tree stands and work to conceal the ground blind a bit better...

The little Rossi he was using has been reclaimed by my buddy's daughter. Seems she'll be heading out this weekend as well and obviously wants to use her rifle. I won't get into it much here (check the"Guns" thread), but I ended up going out and getting the kids their own Remington .243. So we ended up running about 50 rounds through that before we set up the feeders while we still had day light...

He's more excited than a teenager on prom night. It's ALL he's fuckin' talked about. At our parent/teacher conference last night his teacher mentioned his inability to focus right now because he's so focused on hunting this weeekend...

NH Youth Hunting Weekend-canaan-blind-rifle-jpgNH Youth Hunting Weekend-canaan-blind-jpgNH Youth Hunting Weekend-canaan-scouting-jpgNH Youth Hunting Weekend-boy-blind-jpg

We had an absolute awesome time! The boy was pissed we didn't see any live action and considered the hunt a bust. He was incredibly grateful for having the opportunity to actually take part in a hunt this time around though and had a helluva time deciphering tracks, noises, misc. sounds, rubs, scrapes, etc...

He was visibly upset as our day started winding down Sunday and even left the blind without his rifle at one point to go spend some alone time behind a tree. I could hear him mumbling and kicking shit around for a few minutes. I'm pretty sure I heard him swear. He was bummed...

Once we got everything out of the blind and started packing up, he came over and wrapped me up as tight as he ever has. As upset as he was, he still thanked me for taking him out and allowing him to carry his own rifle. As we were walking the trail out of the woods to my truck, he told me it was something he'll never forget...

What a hot shit, that kid!