Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Nigerian Princes and other scams

Nigerian Princes and other scams

Here's a new one I haven't seen before

Dear Randy Orvis,

My name is Eugene Corrigan, counsellor-at-law for the late Mr Alec D Orvis whose last known address was in the United Kingdom. I was served a notice concerning Alec's Estate to contact any member of his family, immediate or distant.

I endeavour to locate possible relatives who shall be the recipient of these assets but to little or no avail.

Presently, the Estate is at risk of being reverted to the government hence contacting you.

Yours sincerely,

--
    Eugene Corrigan

MAGUIRE & CORRIGAN
    20 East Bridge Street
    Enniskillen
    County Fermanagh BT74 7BT
    Tel: 074520107

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If received in error, please notify us.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Re: Nigerian Princes and other scams

Strange that they used a real business, with real address and what appears to be a real number (it's not listed under the site, but the phone number search leads back to them).

I'd email the business and let them know they are being used as a scam. Maybe they can update their page to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Strange that they used a real business, with real address and what appears to be a real number (it's not listed under the site, but the phone number search leads back to them).

I'd email the business and let them know they are being used as a scam. Maybe they can update their page to reflect that.
    could this possibly not be a scam?, I can trace my ancestry back 14 generations to George Orvis born 1614 in Wales and died 1652 in Farmington, CT

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    could this possibly not be a scam?, I can trace my ancestry back 14 generations to George Orvis born 1614 in Wales and died 1652 in Farmington, CT
    Honestly, I'd email or preferably call.

I personally enjoy calling the Brits for my car needs. It's always refreshing to hear the accent, I'm sure they feel the same way on their end.

If I have to throw numbers at it, I'd say it's at least 10% chance it's real. Too much actual information given instead of generic phishing and giving not google-able info.

Edit: Call the number listed instead of their number just to be sure.

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/maguire-corrigan380

Tel 028 6632 4110

Can't tell if Ireland is different from UK. I know directions are different.

How to Call Ireland from the U.S.

First dial 011 to exit the U.S. telephone system.

Now dial 353, which is the country code for Ireland.

Next, dial the local number, which is between seven and nine digits.

How to call the UK from the US

Dial the exit code 011. This will let your carrier know you're making an international call.

Dial 44, the UK country code. This tells your carrier you're going to call the UK.

If you're calling a UK cell phone, dial 7 after the area code.

Enter the area code. ...

Dial the phone number.

https://www.openphone.co/blog/how-to...k-from-the-us/

Last edited by Vovchandr; 11-24-21 at 12:11 PM.

I don't think I have it anymore but the I received an email recently with my PW in the subject line. It was actually my PW so I read it and this person claimed to have hacked into my computer and was able to monitor everything I did. I'm like oh shit, better call my bank. As I read on, he went into how he was able to access my camera as well as my screen and made a video of not only myself but the adult content I was allegedly watching. Since I don't do this (on my computer ) I realized he had nothing. He then went onto how he accessed my contacts and was going to distribute this "video" he made to everyone unless I paid him $5k or something. Even included a bitcoin address. I deleted the email and changed my PW.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

My Dear Eugene,

Tits or GTFO.

Sincerely,

Alec's 3rd cousin