Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NY sales tax

NY sales tax

Selling my bike to a guy from NY, and wonder how the state calculates its sales tax? Is it on the sales price or on a pre-determined value (similar to KBB)?

0 Not allowed!

Re: NY sales tax

If you're the seller, I'm not sure why you would need to know how sales tax is calculated. As is the same as Massachusetts, New York only collects sales tax on the purchase of vehicles. The NY buyer will have to pay state sales tax (of 4%) in addition to county or local tax (of up to 4.5%), if any, when they go to register the vehicle at a DMV office in NY. Or are you concerned about filling out seller's section of the NY form DTF-802, Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle? In this form you, as the seller, need only certify the purchase price. You don't have to do any of the tax calculations. Its up to the NY powers that be to determine the sales tax the buyer must pay when they register the vehicle. If the form is not filled out by you (the seller), the buyer will be charged sales tax based on the vehicle's current fair market value.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Gecko; 06-24-19 at 08:29 AM.
    John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Because I am curious - that's all.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bonk!; 06-24-19 at 08:54 AM.

It varies by county in NY

0 Not allowed!

The amount varies by county, but there's a flat sales tax for the state as well.

The new owner will have to fill out a DMV form for sales tax. If he marks that it was sold below market value then you would also need to sign and verify the price. If he marks that it was at market value it just gets your name and address on it and he signs it with the amount he paid.

I bought a KLR for 125 dollars last year and registered it recently. I marked it as "at market value" and they didn't question it.

0 Not allowed!