Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The official beard and mustache thread

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: The official beard and mustache thread

ive been trying some different shampoos, trying to find one i like. i forget what im currently using but its decent. i have another bottle of something else that i cant remember the name of that i liked. thats helpful right?
    i have a beard conditioner that use that i think is made by billy jealousy. its got a mild hold. i have some cremo stuff that is a stronger hold that use to keep my beard from getting tangled/knotted on the bike or skiing.

i scored a hair straightener brush. its heated and works the balls. works in minutes. i dont use it a bunch but i do when im trimming it so i can cut it more evenly.

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Shampoos have been a bit of a rabbit hole for me. I can make a "cleanser" and call it a wash which is what a lot of people do. It doesn't really WASH though, but it does kind of clean things out in your beard. This is pretty common, it's basically what Lush sells (kalamazoo) or I can actually make a shampoo or shampoo bar, which will strip everything and require conditioning after.

The shampoo is the better cleaner, but it really requires an extra step of conditioning. Or I can do the cleanser which won't "clean" as well, but won't require conditioning. I'm trying to find a middle ground and that's been though. The wash is probably the better bet, but, I'm still trying to figure that out exactly.

What are you looking for in a shampoo/wash? What have you liked / disliked?

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Shampoos have been a bit of a rabbit hole for me. I can make a "cleanser" and call it a wash which is what a lot of people do. It doesn't really WASH though, but it does kind of clean things out in your beard. This is pretty common, it's basically what Lush sells (kalamazoo) or I can actually make a shampoo or shampoo bar, which will strip everything and require conditioning after.

The shampoo is the better cleaner, but it really requires an extra step of conditioning. Or I can do the cleanser which won't "clean" as well, but won't require conditioning. I'm trying to find a middle ground and that's been though. The wash is probably the better bet, but, I'm still trying to figure that out exactly.

What are you looking for in a shampoo/wash? What have you liked / disliked?
    personally, since the wash/shampoo costs 2x what a big bottle of regular shampoo costs and only comes in 8oz or less, i like something that i dont need a lot of to clean my beard. like a dime sized amount (or less) that lathers up really good to do the whole beard. i think im using Every Day Jack beard and face wash right now. it lathers up pretty well so the bottle has lasted a while.
    the extra step of putting in conditioner doesnt bother me since i already do that so i like something that will wash out the product ive put in the previous day and any food or dirt thats accumulated in there as well. i also like a shampoo that will untangle the mess that is typically created by sleeping.

i did beard oil for a while but wasnt entirely happy with the results. i found it hard to distribute and my beard would dry out during the day and would feed like straw feed. thats when i switched to a conditioner with some styling hold. that way it seems to not dry out and stays put.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 01-03-20 at 12:01 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

The conditioner is taking the place of a balm basically. The oil is a great moisturizer that gets absorbed fairly quickly. I used it for the scent and the help untangle everything/make it easier to comb. Then I use a balm. The balm has some wax for hold, and butters/oils for moisturizers that are a little longer lasting than the oil by itself. Keeps everything nice and soft all day and keeps it from getting itchy.

Using a shampoo without a conditioner, then adding oil would def dry your beard out a ton though so I can see where you'd be getting that halfway through the day.

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123