Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 69109129139140141142143144145146147148149
Results 3,701 to 3,712 of 3712

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Getting it into my head that I'm not constantly trying to go faster is the most 2020 cycling thing I can think of.
    *reads this with confusion while putting on aero socks in hopes to gain a couple of seconds on a 3 mile segment*

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    *reads this with confusion while putting on aero socks in hopes to gain a couple of seconds on a 3 mile segment*
    Yeah I can't get on the slow train yet either, but I'm beginning to understand it after a couple slow leisurely rides.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I didn’t say anything about trying to go slow. I just said I’m not trying to go fast (all the time).

With regard to the road+ stuff, what little speed is lost on the pavement is regained in the dirt, and certainly the smiles per mile ratio is improved.
    I’m not selling my carbon 700c wheels...yet.

Also: I hacked a mtb der onto my force shifters, so now I can run any 11spd cassette I want, up to 50t (or 52 if it exists). This will come in handy for any gravel touring that may materialize...like the vt super8 I didn’t get to do this year.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    like the vt super8 I didn’t get to do this year.
    What's that?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

https://bikepacking.com/event/vermont-super-8-2020/

I had planned to just ride the southern loop for fucks, but I can’t exactly break away for 4-7 days all willynilly right now with a messed up school schedule for the little.
    I have no inclinations towards a “grand depart” for any of the routes on my list...to include the Adirondack trail loop as well.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 10-09-20 at 01:25 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I never understood the need to go fast on training rides, but I've always really been a racer and had a place to do that.
    I absolutely understand the need to pedal hard. But pedaling hard with slow equipment means I can pedal hard for longer because I run out of road slower.
    But its all relative and having a power meter helps. Watts are watts and allows you to completely remove speed from the equation. When I have downhill sections into corners I actually ride the brakes during training rides to limit the time I don't need to pedal and increase the time I can put power down.

My regimen has always been to train hard on a slow bike, then race fast on a fast bike. Since I'm not racing, I just ride hard on a slow bike.
    Again, its all relative. My "slow" bike is an S-works tarmac. But its got aluminum wheels with 28c training tires on it.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-09-20 at 02:43 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I can't justify a power meter yet because of all the different disciplines and seasons of riding. Do I get one for the mountain bike or road bike or tri/tt bike?!

It's a lot of money to get one for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I can't justify a power meter yet because of all the different disciplines and seasons of riding. Do I get one for the mountain bike or road bike or tri/tt bike?!

It's a lot of money to get one for everything.
    How much do you like your pedals? If you really wanted one PM to do it all, you could get Favero Assioma pedals or the Garmin Vectors and just swap them bike to bike -- but then you need shoes that work with whatever cleats their pedal supports (Look Keo?).

I am obviously a rank amateur but I don't see the value of a power meter on an MTB. I got a crank arm PM for my gravel bike for $300, which was nice because it lets me stick with SPD pedals and not need to buy new shoes. If you're patient, you can find used crank arm PMs in the low $200s on FB Marketplace.

If you use the same pedals on the road bike as you do on the tri/TT bike, then a crank arm PM would work... right?

Last edited by number9; 10-09-20 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    How much do you like your pedals? If you really wanted one PM to do it all, you could get Favero Assioma pedals or the Garmin Vectors and just swap them bike to bike -- but then you need shoes that work with whatever cleats their pedal supports (Look Keo?).

I am obviously a rank amateur but I don't see the value of a power meter on an MTB. I got a crank arm PM for my gravel bike for $300, which was nice because it lets me stick with SPD pedals and not need to buy new shoes. If you're patient, you can find used crank arm PMs in the low $200s on FB Marketplace.

If you use the same pedals on the road bike as you do on the tri/TT bike, then a crank arm PM would work... right?
    I use road pedals on the road bike and SPD pedals on the mountain bike. You lose efficiency if you use SPD pedals on the road.

The issue with crank based power meters is most of the ones at the price point you are discussing are one sided. I would want to be able to see power from both sides to make sure the distribution is equal. There was a company that came out with a pedal based SPD power meter, but I am questioning longevity of the unit with all the abuse SPD pedals take in the woods.

At the end of the day none of the bikes would be able to share a power meter. Each of them gets used regularly and swapping would be too time intensive to actually happen most of the time.

The answer is yes, you put power on all your bikes.

But no, its kind of silly. A power meter is only good if you are going to use it. Its tough to understand how to use it without some time investment, a training plan, etc. Smutty, I feel like you are riding enough that you could benefit from having one....but again, without an effort to learn it will be useless. If you ever consider getting a coach or doing something like trainer road, it is absolutely worth it for the power meter.

Mountain bike is pretty silly to put one on, but I'm also a silly person. The only reason you need one on EVERY bike is if you want to really look into the data and map your fitness over time. Apps do you let make estimates in lieu of power data for this exact purpose.

Changing cranks is pretty quick these days, just get a TT bike with the same spec and swap as needed. Or....get a crank based on one bike and something cheaper on the other. I would avoid pedals...its been awhile, but the Garmin Vectors needed constant $200 rebuilds every season. The shortest a quarq has last me is 3 years. I have one that has 5 years on it, rode it today.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-09-20 at 04:08 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Amazon has a Prime Day sale with the Garmin Edge 1030 for sale for $299!!! Just in case it's time to upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Amazon has a Prime Day sale with the Garmin Edge 1030 for sale for $299!!! Just in case it's time to upgrade...
    I'll keep my wahoo for the next ransomware attack.

In all seriousness that's a good deal.