Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112224282 ... LastLast

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Cyclists.... suggestions, please

Regarding the amount you're planning to spend...Do a little research on used bikes and note what they are going for price-wise.

The last time I shopped around the bikes I was looking at were $2,000 new. Used I couldn't find anything for less than $1600 (thatís the low end). Meanwhile, an entry level bike that sold for new at $600 would get around 2 - 300 bucks used. So the loss is about the same if you decide it's not for you.

Now consider this...If you decide you like it, the higher end bike will last and an entry level won't. The components on the entry level will wear out quick and are expensive enough to make them not worth replacing on a bike that's only a few hundred brand new. This means buying another bike will be the best option at that point and your bike will be worthless with worn components, so thereíll be no recouping of costs there.

So if you decide you like it, an entry level will actually be more expensive in the long run, and cost you roughly the same if you end up not liking it in the short run.

Itís been a while since I shopped so definitely look at the used market to verify, but my understanding is things havenít changed much. The key is finding the price point where components last, which it typically around $1,000.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Have you considered a mountain bike?!

I'm only half being a jackass. Another option is to consider getting a mild mountain bike and then putting a pair of more road oriented tires on it. I am not a serious cyclist. But I view this as kind of like putting a set of very road-biased tires on a dual-sport. Turns out to be great for riding around town (or NHMS garages). More comfortable than a real road bike. Front suspension works for potholes too.
    ^^^this...don't get a fixie and go on CL and buy a used hard tail mountain bike with a decent suspension fork on it, no need to go new...especially if you aren't positive if you're going to stick with it...add a nice saddle and maybe a suspension seatpost and a set of wheels and fat flat tires (as suggested above)

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    Regarding the amount you're planning to spend...Do a little research on used bikes and note what they are going for price-wise.

The last time I shopped around the bikes I was looking at were $2,000 new. Used I couldn't find anything for less than $1600 (that’s the low end). Meanwhile, an entry level bike that sold for new at $600 would get around 2 - 300 bucks used. So the loss is about the same if you decide it's not for you.

Now consider this...If you decide you like it, the higher end bike will last and an entry level won't. The components on the entry level will wear out quick and are expensive enough to make them not worth replacing on a bike that's only a few hundred brand new. This means buying another bike will be the best option at that point and your bike will be worthless with worn components, so there’ll be no recouping of costs there.

So if you decide you like it, an entry level will actually be more expensive in the long run, and cost you roughly the same if you end up not liking it in the short run.

It’s been a while since I shopped so definitely look at the used market to verify, but my understanding is things haven’t changed much. The key is finding the price point where components last, which it typically around $1,000.
    if it's a road bike things should last quite a while as long as you buy a decent bike brand name with a mid level shimano components group...a mountain bike you will twist and break things easily in the woods so no need to go high end components cause it just saves weight and will break just as easily and both do the same thing...i have a $700 entry level gt ricochet mountain bike that has held up just fine and it was bought in the 90s i think

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    if it's a road bike things should last quite a while as long as you buy a decent bike brand name with a mid level shimano components group...a mountain bike you will twist and break things easily in the woods so no need to go high end components cause it just saves weight and will break just as easily and both do the same thing...i have a $700 entry level gt ricochet mountain bike that has held up just fine and it was bought in the 90s i think
    I debated the same thing in another thread, and it's probably an agree-to-disagree situation. But I'm not convinced you need a $1k bike for a beginner who wants to do a few weekend rides a year. I bet we can all agree the sweet spot is probably a barely used mid-grade bike.

It might be hard to justify spending $60-100 on a low to midgrade rear derailleur replacement for a $600 bike - but is that really any better than spending twice as much on a bike just so it 'lasts'? I'm not really convinced your average rider is going to burn through gear anyway.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I debated the same thing in another thread, and it's probably an agree-to-disagree situation. But I'm not convinced you need a $1k bike for a beginner who wants to do a few weekend rides a year. I bet we can all agree the sweet spot is probably a barely used mid-grade bike.

It might be hard to justify spending $60-100 on a low to midgrade rear derailleur replacement for a $600 bike - but is that really any better than spending twice as much on a bike just so it 'lasts'? I'm not really convinced your average rider is going to burn through gear anyway.
    i agree...and you can find some pretty high end bikes on craigslist for decent prices...with all the potholes in this area i think a hard tail mountain bike with fat slicks would be better suited...the only thing that matters is a solid frame design...and if a mountain bike make sure you can still get the replaceable derailleur hangers for the bike

parts sites that will be of some help for anything you need...
    Performance Bike
    Colorado Cyclist
    Nashbar

0 Not allowed!

I bought a mountain bike several years ago and used it a lot as a road bike, I didn't like it as I found the geometry and particularly the wide bars -- with only one hand position -- to be really uncomfortable on long rides. The stock gearing was also too low for the road, although that's not that hard to change.

Now I have a cyclocross type bike with wide slicks which I think is the greatest thing ever. Rolls over potholes like a tank, can jump up curbs, has drop bars, wide gearing, etc. Absolute best type of bike for commuting or long rides on crappy roads.

1 Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

I want a mountain bike. Where do I start, and how much do I need to spend? I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I search "mountain bike" on CL and all sorts of things pop up. I feel like I did when I first started considering a dirt bike and didn't know the difference between MX, woods bikes, and dual sports.

From what I gather from these threads, there are meaningful differences in frame size, suspension, wheel size, components, and tires. Is that about right? I want this primarily for riding around in the woods, but I just moved to the beach, so I'm also curious about these fat tire beasts. Can riding on sand actually be fun?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I want a mountain bike. Where do I start, and how much do I need to spend? I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I search "mountain bike" on CL and all sorts of things pop up. I feel like I did when I first started considering a dirt bike and didn't know the difference between MX, woods bikes, and dual sports. //
    I just bought a used Specialized with disc brakes and front suspension for $500 (think it was $1,200 new five years ago). Works great for me. You can usually look up the bike listed and see what frame sizes are available, or just ask the owner how big they are.

Note a lot of people above are going to "29er's" which have larger diameter wheels. This has reduced the demand for the standard 26" bikes but as all the rest we have are that size it was fine for me).

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-14-15 at 11:59 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Lifer

Fine sand probably requires a fat bike. I've never been successful in trying it with a regular MTB. Can't tell you if it's fun, but it doesn't sound particularly exciting. More of a way to leisurely cruise the beach.

You're probably a Large, maybe an XL as a rule of thumb. Those sizes primarily correlate to a frame height (seat tube). People often forget to provide this detail, but you can look for size markings on the seat tube in the picture. Wheel size is complicated right now: 26inch was the standard for a while, 29 was introduced mostly for trail/XC and pretty much became the standard for a little while. Then 27.5inch (aka 650B) showed up, and it seems like that's going to become the standard size, with occasional 29'er options and 26inch downhill bikes - though I think those are moving to 27.5 too now. For a first bike, I'm not really sure I'd care. If you want cheap, the 26inch bikes seem to have lost their value in part for being 26inch bikes.

Front suspension bikes are usually more efficient to pedal. Also easier to maintain, and cost less. The rear suspension is primarily beneficial on big drops, very rocky or rooty sections. But you can learn to ride without it. No rear shock makes pedaling out of a turn a lot more fun. More travel usually means more weight, less pedal efficiency, but smoother and more compliant.

What do you want to do with it? General trail ride? I think that's what most are looking for. Roughly: Downhill/Freeride bikes suck to pedal, made for parks or brutal riding areas. All Mountain/Enduro are downhill bikes that don't suck to pedal as much, but have their strength in the downhill part. Trail bikes/XC are your 'great at nothing, good at everything' bike. These terms are overly debated. The categorization is mostly from frame geometry (e.g. downhill bikes have chopper-like rake) and suspension. There's more to it, that's the high level version.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 10-14-15 at 03:19 PM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

You're right on the cusp for most companies L and Xl Pete. That's 19 and 21" in common mtb frame sizes.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

So I figure out frame size, then buy something with front suspension, hard tail, disc brakes, and don't worry much about the rest? Do I want clipless pedals?

0 Not allowed!

You will eventually, I think. It makes the bike so much more controllable, not having your feet slipping and sliding at all.
    There's a tiny learning curve, but it becomes intuitive pretty quick.

For general purpose farting around a 29" hard tail is ideal. A fat bike is also very viable, especially if you want to ride in the sand.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Components (drivetrain, brakes) are relevant, though I rank them lower in importance for a first bike than some others might. I'm not too worried about lower end gear, while some feel it isn't worth the time. Cheaper components usually wear out faster, and don't feel as good, or look as good. Seat's are a subjective item. Stem length is too. My recommendation would be to focus on the right frame for your intended usage and fit, then look for one that comes with a good fork (those cost a lot to buy new and have a strong effect on the ride), then narrow by component quality/condition.

You're on the right path if you want a general hardtail trail bike. I don't know why I didn't use the term hardtail earlier, because that's the common term. Clipless (meaning you clip in) is nice in some ways and not in others. Either way, not sure I'd start with them. They're often a 'you love it or hate it' thing. If the bike comes with clipless pedals and you don't want them, that's a 5 minute change and fairly inexpensive to replace with flats.

Facebook sucks for this stuff, but I see quite a better selection of used bikes in this group than I ever did on CL:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/184012971687826

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

He's on the right track ^.

Stems, seats, handlebars and seat posts are usually the first things to go on any bike, you gotta make it fit you and be comfy first. I file them under "gimme", as in: it's pretty much a gimme I'm going to change them.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

NO

You don't live on the beach

craigslist

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I need someone who speaks Stromper

0 Not allowed!

Fritz's bikes in Worcester has a Salsa Fatbike size large, lightly used, for around $800. If it was my size I'd already have bought it, ridden it for a month, and been trying to sell it here.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    Fritz's bikes in Worcester has a Salsa Fatbike size large, lightly used, for around $800. If it was my size I'd already have bought it, ridden it for a month, and been trying to sell it here.
    This guy knows bikes. He recently sold a friend of mine a bike that he listed here. Absolutely better than new and at a great price. Chipper knows the dirt. Brian knows bicycles. Eric knows fast. Kurlon knows how to fix. You need some help you just ask. You will get your balls busted but they will give you the right answer.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rambunctous; 10-14-15 at 09:50 PM.
    May the road rise to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face.

OK, so new thought is to drive up to Fritz's on Saturday, explain what I want to do/spend, and let them make a recommendation

0 Not allowed!

Another factor to think about is frame design/geometry. It's a hard subject to get a handle on and even harder for hardtails though. You'll find that the same manufacturer will make many different models of full suspension bikes made for different applications but generally they only have one or two hardtails so it's harder to tell the difference. Take a look at Niner's RIP, JEP, and WFO for a good example. I am no expert so I tend to boil it down to head angle, seat tube angle, chainstay length, and top tube length. Most companies seem to only make their nicer hardtails to be XC racers but some smaller companies (Transition, Kona, Canfield Bros) make hardtails for "all mountain" riding.

For example, my first MTB was a '98 Specialized Stumpjumper which had me feeling like I was stretched out - good for XC racing but not really what I wanted to do. I ended up putting on a longer travel fork to decrease the head angle, shorter stem, and wider, higher bars. When I finally bit the bullet and bought a new bike I got a Transition Trans AM 29 which is designed more for "trail/all-mountain" riding, slacker head angle, relatively short chainstay, relatively long top tube (made to go with a shorter stem).

Two other features I looked for was a threaded bottom bracket vs press fit (external cup bearings instead of shell, serviceable with simple tools and tend to last a lot longer and not squeak) and a steel frame which I like for it's longevity.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Crimedog; 10-15-15 at 10:04 AM.

Someone on CL has Cannondale Trail 6 (entry level bike?) new for $500:

Trail 6 - TRAIL - TRAIL HARDTAILS - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2014

Good enough to start?

1 Not allowed!

Seems ok to start. The fork is pretty much entry level and the 3x8 drivetrain is ancient technology, but it'll certainly get you out there for short money.
    I don't know how much upgrade as you go a bike like this offers, but riding something is better than riding nothing at any stage, but especially for noobs.

My first mtb was on par with this and I had boatloads of fun with it. I didn't upgrade it at all, just maintained it and rode the wheels off it. I raced a whole season of xc on it too.
    I don't know if i said it in this thread or the other, but seats, searposts, handlebars, and stems are gimme items. Get the bike setup so it's comfy to ride, and go nuts out there.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

buy my Camber Elite so that I can buy Chips fatty (?)

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

I have a thing for Chip's fatty as well, its just not big enough for me.

2 Not allowed!

Something like this would be a really good choice, unsure of Trek's sizing though:
    https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5259683346.html
    I'm not seeing much on CL right now for you.

1 Not allowed!