Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 12345678910111213234383 ... LastLast

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Cyclists.... suggestions, please

This one looks nice too. Any issues with a single sided fork? Seems odd to me

Cannondale Flash F29

0 Not allowed!

Buy that cannondale. The lefty works really well, despite its funny looks. It's got carbon bars and tubeless wheels, so you're already ahead there. See what kind of wiggle he has on the price, that's a solid scooter.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

You'll have fun on the Trail 6. But your money might go further with a ~3-4 year old higher level bike that sat in someone's garage. $500 seems a little high against the MSRP, but used bikes are funny like that. The other two linked look like decent options. The Flash F29 looks like a pretty steep head angle bike. Nimble quick turner, might feel a tad twitchy going downhill compared to the Trek Stache. Also note the 1x setup on the Trek. If you plan to ride a lot of fireroads, bikepaths etc you might be wanting a 2x setup or a larger chainring. The advantage is weight and simplicity.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    The advantage is weight and simplicity.
    And never-ever ever dropping a chain. That being said, it shifts like dog shit with a mid-cage derailleur and an 11-32. Even being 11 speed I find myself lacking the right gear, the answer being MOAR POWER.

I've been riding my CX bike just about everywhere. I will say my hands take a beating on the rooty stuff, but short of that I am impressed with what the bike can do more and more as my skill level on it rises. I treat it like a BMX bike most of the time.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

It might be twitchy compared to the stache, but it's a 29r, and therefor not twitchy at all.
    I'm a pretty firm believer that an xc type 29r is one of the best all around platforms going. That is, until you build a cheap carbon fatty...
    Braap!

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Just heard back that the Cannondale sold. Too bad, it has a certain sex appeal that the other one doesn't. I'll probably check out the Trek this weekend.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    And never-ever ever dropping a chain. That being said, it shifts like dog shit with a mid-cage derailleur and an 11-32. Even being 11 speed I find myself lacking the right gear, the answer being MOAR POWER.

I've been riding my CX bike just about everywhere. I will say my hands take a beating on the rooty stuff, but short of that I am impressed with what the bike can do more and more as my skill level on it rises. I treat it like a BMX bike most of the time.
    Road components? Never heard of anyone having a hard time with short-long caged mtb kits 11-34, 11-36, or the new 11spds

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Just heard back that the Cannondale sold. Too bad, it has a certain sex appeal that the other one doesn't. I'll probably check out the Trek this weekend.
    They are supposed to be no nonsense solid trail bikes. If I didn't have family in town I'd offer to help.

0 Not allowed!

Not sure your budget, but this is a friend of mine's bike. Only reason he's selling it is to get a size smaller frame.

https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/5265664603.html

Bike is in great shape, and is a blast to ride. I have the same bike only a couple of years newer and in a size medium, and love it.

0 Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Pulled the trigger on the Trek. I'm excited, seems nice. Now to go buy a helmet and real pedals and find some trails

6 Not allowed!

Big river is fun.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Big River and Acadia are pretty close. Been a little while since I've ridden those. Lincoln woods is another big on in your area, I should be visiting that one soon; never been.

Take notes on the parts the bike has that were aftermarket. You don't have to, but it'll make it easier when looking up replacement parts down the road.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Weetamoo in tiverton is another good spot, I ride there all the time.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

So for gear I will need-

1) multi-tool
    2) hand pump
    3) spare tube
    4) tire levers
    5) spare chain master link

Anything else?

0 Not allowed!

Don't go all Boy Scout right away.
    Helmet, pedals, shoes, gloves, spandex.

Do buy a decent floor pump with a gauge.
    I much prefer a co2 cartridge & valve to a hand pump, no matter how wasteful.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

So for gear I will need-

1) multi-tool
    2) hand pump
    3) spare tube
    4) tire levers
    5) spare chain master link

Anything else?
    That's what I ride with right now but I'm planning to get a camelbak and put some kind of first aid kit into it as well. I haven't had a chain break on me yet but you'll need a chain breaker (some multi tools have these) and depending on how stubborn your master link is, a tool to snap it into place. I could always do my old 8spd KMC master links by hand but I broke down and bought the Park Tool master link pliers for my 10spd.

How do you like the bike so far?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I'd say spandex is optional. Bike specific shoes, even if you don't use clips are nice for their stiff soles. But hardly required. Keep an eye out for sales. Multi-tool with a chain tool on it is nice. Heavy though. It's nice to be able to repair a broken chain on the spot if you want.

I used to be big on the Co2 cartridges. Pumping while sweaty and the mosquitos close in sucks. But I've realized I like having a hand pump on the frame so I can adjust pressure. It's also helpful if you have a slow enough leak that you want to just pump some air in and head for the parking lot. I wish I'd gotten a pump that had a Co2 cartridge plug, because now I ride with a separate Co2 inflator that could have been covered by the frame pump.

You can live without a master link. If the chain breaks, you can shorten it up and put it back together. But it's probably easier if you use the master link. And there's probably only enough slack in the chain for one shortening, if at all. Might end up putting links back in when you get home.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    How do you like the bike so far?
    With absolutely nothing to compare it against, and having only ridden around my neighborhood for 10 minutes, it seems great! I've only ridden bikes with rim brakes before, so the hydraulic disc brakes on this are dreamy. I feel like the 1x setup may be limiting, but I got the stock setup as well. There is a little ding in the rear rim that I am slightly concerned about, but it is not leaking air so far. I will definitely grab a tube for it before I go farther than I want to walk/carry it back.

0 Not allowed!

Fuck that, if I break a chain it goes in the trash and I buy a new one. For the price of what an xt chain costs, it's worth the piece of mind.
    Most of the places I go are relatively small size-wise, with decent trail networks, so if I really busy something I'm not walking more than a couple miles. If you set a bicycle up right, you shouldn't be doing much, if any, trail side tinkering.
    Things can/do rattle loose, so a small tail bag with the bare essentials (or jersey pocket) is fine by me.

I used to think spandex was optional...
    But, after some chafing, and then having sweaty natural fabric pants get sticky and steal power from my legs, I don't ride a bike without it anymore.

There seems to be a growing contingent of bicycle riders in southern New England, so when are we gonna get together??

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

With absolutely nothing to compare it against, and having only ridden around my neighborhood for 10 minutes, it seems great! I've only ridden bikes with rim brakes before, so the hydraulic disc brakes on this are dreamy. I feel like the 1x setup may be limiting, but I got the stock setup as well. There is a little ding in the rear rim that I am slightly concerned about, but it is not leaking air so far. I will definitely grab a tube for it before I go farther than I want to walk/carry it back.
    I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure those rims are pretty stout. Having a tube on you is always a good idea, if you break the bead you're not going to get it back on there with a mini-pump.

Nothing wrong with going 2x10 instead of 1x10 but you probably don't really need it. 30t x 36t is pretty low, I have a 42t extender that came with mine but I rarely ever use it, and when I do it's usually because I'm tired and feeling lazy. In the woods you won't want to go faster than 30t x 11t but on the road you will downhill.

0 Not allowed!

So for gear I will need-

1) multi-tool
    2) hand pump
    3) spare tube
    4) tire levers

Anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Helmet, clipless pedals, shoes, gloves, padded shorts/pants/spandex
    ^^^all this plus a chain tool, slime all the tubes (even the spare), tube patch kit, tire liners, seat bag, water bottle cages (put the weight on the bike not on you), extra derailleur hangers

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

What say you folks who know about this Diamondback 29'er? CL in my area has antique overpriced junk and wayy expensive hot rods. I'm thinking this is a good entry level with some utility?

Nashbar - Welcome!

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

It is more entry level but a step above the big box stores offerings. Most important thing when getting a more entry level bike (IMO) is a decent frame, and the ability to upgrade the components you'll get tired of or wear out first. This one seems easily upgradable.

0 Not allowed!

It'll get you in the game for short $.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There seems to be a growing contingent of bicycle riders in southern New England, so when are we gonna get together??
    I want to do at least one shakedown ride on my own before I try holding other people up, but I'll be down for something in November. The new KDX got all my attention this past weekend, and I'm lovin it.

0 Not allowed!